Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I was able to skate on my new VH skates at a public session yesterday. This is the first time I have ever not had blisters,severe pain on my arches or on the outsides of my feet after skating on a new pair of skates. The skates are extremely light as you will see in the pictures. 660 grams for the right skate and 650 grams for the left skate. I was a size 6 in my old skates so that would explain why these are so light. I am very impressed by the quality of the skates and the fact that they were created from just a few measurements and a tracing of my foot. Worth every penny in my opinion. On thursday I have a practice and will post back after actually playing hockey on them. So far so good though. I even had someone come up to me and ask if they were custom VH skates. I guess the word is getting out there. Let me know if anyone has any questions. Happy to answer anything.

IMG_1121_zps3bb46192.jpg

IMG_1120_zps2a5504bc.jpg

I know they're light but you have to admit the T-Blades literally tip the scales in your case.

I have been using T-Blades since 2001 and they have always made my skates lighter but these skates are a whole new level of light. I have my old Graf 705's and Graf Ultra G5's on hand still. I will have to do a weight comparison.

I have been using T-Blades since 2001 and they have always made my skates lighter but these skates are a whole new level of light. I have my old Graf 705's and Graf Ultra G5's on hand still. I will have to do a weight comparison.

Well, my VH skates are lighter than my Flexlite 4 skates. And this photo from the VH Hockey website, of a size 6 skate with LS2 might put things into perspective.

http://www.vhspeedskating.com/assets/images/hockey/size_6.jpg

Update time. I've been using the skates for a few weeks now and have had a lot of ice time. The skates are incredibly comfortable and feel great for the entire time I am on the ice. I have had no blisters, pain, or discomfort of any kind. This is a new concept for me. I have two very different size feet along with unusually high arches coupled with a wide foot and extremely deep instep. Needless to say a custom skate was really my only option for a well fitting skate. These skates have answered my prayers. I had some Graf custom insoles fitted on Friday at West Side Skate and Stick in NYC. They made the skates even more comfortable. The only negative I could find so far with these skates is that I had to have the T-blades re-riveted due to the wrong rivets being used initially. I was told by the gentleman that did my custom footbeds that the rivets used were much too long. No problem really and was only a $15.00 service. I highly recommend the custom footbeds by the way. Really amazing. I guess the only remaining issue with these skates is the durability, but I guess time will tell on that front. If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Update time. I've been using the skates for a few weeks now and have had a lot of ice time. The skates are incredibly comfortable and feel great for the entire time I am on the ice. I have had no blisters, pain, or discomfort of any kind. This is a new concept for me. I have two very different size feet along with unusually high arches coupled with a wide foot and extremely deep instep. Needless to say a custom skate was really my only option for a well fitting skate. These skates have answered my prayers. I had some Graf custom insoles fitted on Friday at West Side Skate and Stick in NYC. They made the skates even more comfortable. The only negative I could find so far with these skates is that I had to have the T-blades re-riveted due to the wrong rivets being used initially. I was told by the gentleman that did my custom footbeds that the rivets used were much too long. No problem really and was only a $15.00 service. I highly recommend the custom footbeds by the way. Really amazing. I guess the only remaining issue with these skates is the durability, but I guess time will tell on that front. If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Good to hear about the custom footbeds with thermoplastic-base boots, I had been wondering about that, but I couldn't remember anyone mentioning that combination at all.

Good to hear about the custom footbeds with thermoplastic-base boots, I had been wondering about that, but I couldn't remember anyone mentioning that combination at all.

As long as you don't have the Graf Custom footbeds in the skates while they're in the oven.

Did you notice that the Graf custom insoles take up much less volume in the forefoot area than the thicker VH footbeds? How did you deal with that?

Do you leave the red layer from the VH insole under the Graf custom insole?

Did you re-mold the skates for the Graf insoles?

Edited by Larry54

As long as you don't have the Graf Custom footbeds in the skates while they're in the oven.

Did you notice that the Graf custom insoles take up much less volume in the forefoot area than the thicker VH footbeds? How did you deal with that?

Do you leave the red layer from the VH insole under the Graf custom insole?

Did you re-mold the skates for the Graf insoles?

The Graf insoles take up a little less volume than the VH insoles. I have the custom pro hockey version. These are a little thicker than the custom hockey version.

I took the red and yellow VH insoles out and replaced with the Graf insoles.

I didn't re-mold the skates for the Graf insoles.

aren't T blades super expensive in the long run because of the replacement steel? I was interested last year because it's hard to get a good sharpener in my area, but the prices of replacements made me stick to a regular setup

aren't T blades super expensive in the long run because of the replacement steel? I was interested last year because it's hard to get a good sharpener in my area, but the prices of replacements made me stick to a regular setup

If you factor in that the T-Blade runners last much longer than a sharpening does, then the cost is not prohibitive. I used to get my skates sharpened once a week. Now I will go at least a month before changing my runners. For me the most important factor was the consistency of the hollow.

kadayo. Love your set up bud I'm doing the same thing! Not to often you see another T-blade user out there. I love em. Only thing sharp enough for me.

• Like 1

If you factor in that the T-Blade runners last much longer than a sharpening does, then the cost is not prohibitive. I used to get my skates sharpened once a week. Now I will go at least a month before changing my runners. For me the most important factor was the consistency of the hollow.

Get blackedge steel and you can go about a half a year without a sharpening

Get blackedge steel and you can go about a half a year without a sharpening

I guess it all depends on how much you play and if you can get a good sharpening. I never had any luck in my area getting a consistent hollow on my blades.

kadayo. Love your set up bud I'm doing the same thing! Not to often you see another T-blade user out there. I love em. Only thing sharp enough for me.

You won't be sorry. What hollow do you use? I use 11mm.

I guess it all depends on how much you play and if you can get a good sharpening. I never had any luck in my area getting a consistent hollow on my blades.

You won't be sorry. What hollow do you use? I use 11mm.

S-11-288's. I have the same problem nobody in my area can sharpen on a consistent basis. Went to T-blades for consistency.