Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Nice to see this topic!

Just got mine on Saturday..baked em and played in them that night. No pain whatsovever, perfect fit. LS2 Holder, LS3 steel. Love these skates! My old steel was pretty warn down so I had a lot more blade on the ice than I have been use to, so that was a little different but I'm acutally going to continue with the steel as is without profiling.

Skates feel really solid...My previous skate was a Supreme One95 which I never baked because I thought (right or wrong) it would take away from the stiffness of the boot . Comparing the two the VH is as stiff or stiffer. I tried a pair of Nexus 1000 earlier in the year, but didn't like them, felt great in the store but kind of 'clunky' to skate in.

I live in Winnipeg so I had Scott fit me himself. He used the exact same form and did the same measurements he asks for online. As everyone else has stated...Just a super guy to deal with!

Looks like there are about 8-10 jets in these. Wheeler must be on his second pair, because they sell game used gear at the Jet games and there was pair of his on sale at Friday's game. They didn't have the white hightlights like the ones he is in now. just 'Wheels' on the tendon guard. Looks like Buff has either had his modified or is on his second pair as well. I could be wrong but looked like he had some blue accents on his that weren't there before.

Baking was easy, Scott basically talked me into doing them myslef. I could have easily got them baked for free at a number of places in town but he assured me there was no need. 180 degrees, 1 skate at a time, 10 mins/side in my conventional gas oven. put them on barefoot for about 25 mins each (until they cooled).

Couldn't be happier with these...Hoping they are as durable as they seem/feel!

• Like 1

Couldn't be happier with these...Hoping they are as durable as they seem/feel!

I have been using my skates three times a week since the end of September 2013 and they are still going strong. No issues at all.

This is from the equipment managerof the Jets.

Hi Steve. The skates have been outstanding. The players who wear the skates love them. They find improved turning, overall speed, and balance. This is achieved because there is no negative space in the boot. The skates take approx 3-4 skates to get use to. There is no flex in the holders because the outsole is made with real carbon fibre. U will notice this right away feeling the entire blade right away on the ice. Once you get use to them you will probably be a big fan. There not for everyone mind you, I would say 75-80 percent of the guys who try them love them

I hope this helps.

Jason

Edited by iceman8310

I would say 75-80 percent of the guys who try them love them

This is my problem. I'd blow a wad of money and be in the 20-25%.

Already lost $800 on a pair of custom skates. Can't imagine doing it again.

I am in Winnipeg, though, so it might be worth checking out a stock pair...now that I see they have a money back guarantee on them.

Or....you could set up an appointment and go visit them yourself. That would be the best way to ensure if you even need customs, and if you do, that you receive all changes necessary.

Zach

Edited by DEATHTRON

I am in Winnipeg, though, so it might be worth checking out a stock pair...now that I see they have a money back guarantee on them.

Just curious, What happened that caused you to lose $800 on custom skates?

Did the person that measured you for the customs make a mistake or something?

I thought the whole point of customs is they are built around your foot measurements/requirements?

Just curious, What happened that caused you to lose $800 on custom skates?

Did the person that measured you for the customs make a mistake or something?

I thought the whole point of customs is they are built around your foot measurements/requirements?

Most people don't know what they are doing.

Anyone have suggestions on getting good tracings? I've been able to do my right foot fine, but having trouble getting accuracy on my left.

What seems to be the issue? The left was marginally more difficult for me as well, but nothing too bad. Maybe have somebody else trace it for you if anything. They can move around the foot to get a comfortable angle.

Anyone have suggestions on getting good tracings? I've been able to do my right foot fine, but having trouble getting accuracy on my left.

You should have someone do this for you

• Like 1

Ideally, yes. But, in my case it's not really an option at the moment.

Well, find someone. You're about to drop close to a grand on skates I'd reckon it would be best to be as accurate as possible.

What JR recommended (sitting with a bent knee) gave me the best results. Also, I found that holding a MECHANICAL pencil vertical while tracing my foot gave me a more accurate line and measurement. When I stood up and bent my knee (and used a regular old pencil), my tracings were off by about 5cm. Doesn't sound like much, but 5cm is a half-size difference. When getting custom fitted skates, being too small/too large shouldn't be a factor.

Edited by mc88

What JR recommended (sitting with a bent knee) gave me the best results. Also, I found that holding a MECHANICAL pencil vertical while tracing my foot gave me a more accurate line and measurement. When I stood up and bent my knee (and used a regular old pencil), my tracings were off by about 5cm. Doesn't sound like much, but 5cm is a half-size difference. When getting custom fitted skates, being too small/too large shouldn't be a factor.

5cm should be more than half a size, it's about 2", you mean 5mm?

Don't worry, NASA's made worse mistakes.

It seems like you're implying that custom skates won't work for you, no matter who's doing the customizing. It's unfortunate you had that bad previous experience, but just because you had bad spaghetti at one place doesn't mean spaghetti's bad all across the universe.

• Like 3

Go to VH and just have Scott trace your foot. The only thing holding me back from having gone the VH route, was my own inaccuracy with the tracing, + an apparently odd foot condition that I have (that Easton Mako & Mission Axiom T10 does not bother, but just about every other skate gives me grief). I did not have time to do trial & error of sending the skates back & forth with Scott to get the toe cap correct, as I am overseas. I knew that Mako would work so just went Mako (which I am happy with, but I would not mind a lighter, more protective skate).

Edited by Cosmic

Scott will fix any issues you have, should you run into a problem. He remade my boots after I had a toe box issue and he covered it under warranty.

Scott was very responsive with some small issues I had as well. I didn't need to send back, and after two months of skating (2-3 times per week) I love the skates. Amazing fit...