Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

How has the toe been holding up? Do they offer a rubber toe cap?

Mine are holding up great. I've had my skates since September 2013 and I play three times a week.

I'm not sure if they offer a rubber toe cap. Email Scott. He will be happy to answer your questions.

Mine are holding up great. I've had my skates since September 2013 and I play three times a week.

I'm not sure if they offer a rubber toe cap. Email Scott. He will be happy to answer your questions.

I spoke to Scott earlier last month. They have a plastic toe cap that will be used or become available this summer. As for me my toe caps are holding up great I skate anywhere between 2 & 3 times a week. And I have had mine since June 2013.

Here's what I got in the mail today:

bQWk02q.jpg

xgkJuAT.jpg6Pi0uOa.jpgPr6ADmL.jpg

Initial Thoughts:

I have baked them only. So far, there might be a few problem areas when I hit the ice, but I'm holding judgement until then. As far as the construction goes, these feel solid, sturdy, and well-made. As for the craftsmanship, it's a bit messy. For example, there are signs of glue stains and some glue residue streaks across the boots (I was able to remove the streaks, but not the glue stains on the fabric). Also, as you'll notice in the last picture, there appears to be some smudge marks on the toe-caps as well. I am being nit-picky, but since these cost $850, I'd expect them to be clean as possible. However, since these are custom and hand-made, I understand they won't be flawless.

In a few days, I'll get more in-depth. But for now, I'm happy. These things are pretty comfortable!

Edited by mc88
  • Like 1

Thanks for those photos. I was thinking of doing the white backs like that, but seeing them done that way I think I'm just going to go all black instead. Don't get me wrong, they're still gorgeous... the white just isn't for me.

I'll take more detailed pics later.

I contemplated all black, but just wasn't too thrilled with it. It seemed a bit too plain. With the white accents, it has a bit more design and some eye movement (moving the eye from the tendon guard to the holder). But it's all personal preference anyway! Funny thing though is that my normal everyday shoes have the same design as my skates. Mind trip.

Edited by mc88

I can't see the imperfections, but it isn't my $850 bones, either. Very attractive boots, matey!

Here you go, some detailed shots (some of these pictures make it look a hell of lot worse than it appears in person):

JJJeilj.jpg01mwhXo.jpguXFvetR.jpgVcGCrfl.jpgu8lsh52.jpgmKWh32a.jpg

Edited by mc88

Ah I see what you mean. You're right that one one hand theyre $$$ but on the other hand, they ARE hand-made so I'd expect some imperfections in that regard. I wouldn't hold it against him :)

Ah I see what you mean. You're right that one one hand theyre $$$ but on the other hand, they ARE hand-made so I'd expect some imperfections in that regard. I wouldn't hold it against him :)

I don't. Especially since I was able to hit a public session this evening. I plan on writing an in-depth review, but it's late, so I'll hold till tomorrow. But cosmetics aside, this boot is...just... F#$%ing... WOW! Just... awesome.

I probably would have initially felt the same if I saw what you show in the pix. But then again, 9/10 of my shoes have adhesive in odd places. I don't reject based solely on that.

Thanks for those photos. I was thinking of doing the white backs like that, but seeing them done that way I think I'm just going to go all black instead. Don't get me wrong, they're still gorgeous... the white just isn't for me.

All the cool kids get white backs...

If VH gets successful enough with this to expand their operation and include a final glue-scrape quality check, I'll be sad if I can't afford a pair before that happens. There's something of a relic aura to that glue left on the boot: evidence that SVH was here.

• Like 2

If VH gets successful enough with this to expand their operation and include a final glue-scrape quality check, I'll be sad if I can't afford a pair before that happens. There's something of a relic aura to that glue left on the boot: evidence that SVH was here.

i totally agree. not that i need or will ever be at a level/in a position to justify custom skates of any kind, but if i were to buy them, i'd embrace the imperfection. to me it's a comforting sign of the care that goes into the process of manufacturing by hand. i'd rather know that each stitch was made by hand and checked by a human being as it was done than have a super clean pair of skates (which of course is going to end up all scuffed up anyway).

When they are purely cosmetic and obviously the inevitable result of the hand-manufacturing process, yes.

I think the sum of my previous post was clear. On any pair of skates getting enough use to justify the VH price tag, those glues spots, one can expect those glue spots to be obscured by the marks of normal wear pretty damn quickly.

Pick nits if you wish.

If you bought a hand made Italian sports car would you be fine with smears in the paint or excess glue on the windshield? When you pay a premium for a hand made product then you expect them to take the care that there are not imperfections, cosmetic or otherwise.

• Like 3

If you bought a hand made Italian sports car would you be fine with smears in the paint or excess glue on the windshield?

Of course not, but I don't need to be concerned about corrosion on the sides of my skates due to a small amount of glue overflow, nor do I need a clear view out of the skate's quarter panel.

When you pay a premium for a hand made product then you expect them to take the care that there are not imperfections, cosmetic or otherwise.

You might consider using the first person to express a personal opinion. It's already clear that these are your expectations, but they're not everyone's.

If they aren't going to make sure something as simple as wiping off excess glue is done properly then what other aspects are they treating as "good enough"?

If you bought a hand made Italian sports car would you be fine with smears in the paint or excess glue on the windshield? When you pay a premium for a hand made product then you expect them to take the care that there are not imperfections, cosmetic or otherwise.

Actually, if I bought an Italian sports car, handmade or otherwise, I'd expect it to breakdown before I pulled into my driveway. And yes, I'd expect imperfections all over the place. That's not a comment on evidence of care that is taken in custom products in general, but more a comment on the work ethic and care taken (or lack thereof) in Italian-made products in general. Some are getting better, but it's a slow process.

LOL, what an absurd analogy. We expect a sports car to be nice and shiny. It won't have pucks regularly bouncing off of it, sticks hitting it and skate blades slicing it. If the skate maker focuses 99% of his attention on the skates' performance and build strength and quality, and only 1% on appearance, that's fine with me, and seems to be fine with half of the Winnipeg Jets, and many Olympic speed skaters.

Edited by Larry54