Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

14 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

I had this VH tongue on my VH and it was awesome.  Just seem to hold really well compared to my true tongues. The VH Velcro had a lot of meat to it if that makes sense.  I wish they still had these tongues.

Did you do the Velcro change yourself or take them somewhere?

image.jpeg.4e49597e65cf637640c45a4f74260cb1.jpeg

I did it myself. If you know how to use a needle and thread it's simple. I just used normal sewing thread. You could get a thicker waxed thread if you want. 

Just get something like this 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0789S6B4C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_SZG4TR0W2DAWJQGR0PRD

It has adhesives too but I find it'll tend to detach slightly at the corners. What I did was stick it on the tongue and just sew the top and bottom part of the strip to prevent it from lifting.  Or u can bypass sewing and see how well the adhesives hold on its own.  

If you don't want to deal with any labor just buy the Velcro and bring into any place that will do it for you. Ie. Tailor, pro shop, shoe repair, etc. I personally wouldn't pay anyone to do this 10 min job though

For those that swapped out the shift holders for Bauer/CCM, did you get the holes filled with epoxy and holes drilled after, or did you re use existing holes/stretched them/drilled new holes as necessary?

Does it make any difference either way?

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

I did it myself. If you know how to use a needle and thread it's simple. I just used normal sewing thread. You could get a thicker waxed thread if you want. 

Just get something like this 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0789S6B4C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_SZG4TR0W2DAWJQGR0PRD

It has adhesives too but I find it'll tend to detach slightly at the corners. What I did was stick it on the tongue and just sew the top and bottom part of the strip to prevent it from lifting.  Or u can bypass sewing and see how well the adhesives hold on its own.  

If you don't want to deal with any labor just buy the Velcro and bring into any place that will do it for you. Ie. Tailor, pro shop, shoe repair, etc. I personally wouldn't pay anyone to do this 10 min job though

I use Barge adhesive (used in shoe and boot assembly) with excellent results. I've found the Velcro adhesive to be disappointing in general. 

1 hour ago, innotastic said:

For those that swapped out the shift holders for Bauer/CCM, did you get the holes filled with epoxy and holes drilled after, or did you re use existing holes/stretched them/drilled new holes as necessary?

The shop that did mine (XS holders) did not fill the holes. They might have used 1-2 existing and drilled the rest new. I’d say using proper rivets would make a bigger difference than filling holes. I’ve actually never had anyone fill old holes before drilling new ones

Edited by Westside

5 hours ago, innotastic said:

My holes lined up

19 hours ago, iceman8310 said:

My holes lined up

There's no way all the holes would line up if you went from shift holders to any other holder. Unless you're talking about tthe old step vh holders

Maybe I missed it, but I scanned through about 50 pages of this thread and didn't see it - does anyone know if you can get replacement achilles tendon guards for the older VH line? I have what I'd call a gen-3 of the VH skates, with the plastic tendon guard attached by a single rivet. One took a puck last night and completely shattered on ice. I looked online and they sell the newer True replacement guards, but I'm worried they won't fit the older VH line. Ideas?

My LHS was able to replace the tendon guards on my VH skates from 2016. They're the same as these ones. I bought a couple pairs of replacement tongues from the same shop to which I linked, since my LHS could only get one of the five kinds available. I'm planning to sell the tongues that didn't work for me to try to make some of my money back.

1 hour ago, demmer12 said:

My LHS was able to replace the tendon guards on my VH skates from 2016. They're the same as these ones. I bought a couple pairs of replacement tongues from the same shop to which I linked, since my LHS could only get one of the five kinds available. I'm planning to sell the tongues that didn't work for me to try to make some of my money back.

The ad clearly states they won't fit VH skates made prior to 2020.  You may be SOL.

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

The ad clearly states they won't fit VH skates made prior to 2020.  You may be SOL.

The tendon guards were replaced over a month ago. The owner of my LHS said that he had problems taking the old ones off but not putting the new ones on. I didn't notice a difference when skating, and I've had no problems with them. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SydNap said:

Maybe I missed it, but I scanned through about 50 pages of this thread and didn't see it - does anyone know if you can get replacement achilles tendon guards for the older VH line? I have what I'd call a gen-3 of the VH skates, with the plastic tendon guard attached by a single rivet. One took a puck last night and completely shattered on ice. I looked online and they sell the newer True replacement guards, but I'm worried they won't fit the older VH line. Ideas?

Same place / site that was just posted but this link is for vh and pre TF true skates. 

https://www.hockeyvancouver.ca/collections/true-vh-hockey-skate-repair-parts/products/true-hockey-replacement-heel-tendon-guard