Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Santos L Halper

Welcome fellow coaches!

Just wanted to say that I love this idea and am weirdly excited to be the first one posting here....

Hopefully other coaches will join in and create a cool forum where we can exchange ideas, give feedback, and generally help us become better coaches and ambassadors of the game.

Also...I hope that, in time, this can become a place where players, parents, and friends can come and get answers to general questions that they may not otherwise be able (or willing...) to ask their coach.

(Please note that I emphasize 'general' in the above, because there's no way anyone here can give answers to specific questions pertaining to individual teams or situations that we're not part of.  Put differently, it's unreasonable to ask how to approach your kid's coach about putting Jimmy, Mikey, and Bobby on the same line.  Without actually coaching Jimmy, Mikey, and Bobby's team, no one on an internet forum can hope to give an answer to something that, ultimately, should be left to the coach's prerogative...)

Anyway.  Personally, I'm a full-time youth/minor hockey coach, currently coaching club 8UA, 10UBB and A, and assistant coaching 14UA and 16UA.  Previously, I've coached 14U Tier 1 AAA, 12U Tier 2 AA, and local high school hockey; but have taken time away from the more travel-intensive teams to concentrate on building our club's younger levels.  (Plus, I have an 8 year old, and having to miss more games of his than I attended wasn't working for me anymore...)

Other coaches, jump in!  Sound off!  Let's go!  It's state tournament time...how are your teams looking???

Edited by Santos L Halper
  • Like 2

I think a lot of good can come out of this thread(s).

About me: This is my third year coaching (first year as a head coach). I have a big boy job so coaching is a side-gig for me that I'm passionate about. I'm an Assistant Coach for the same head coach at the 14UA and Varsity levels respectively. I'm also the JV Head Coach at the same high school. All this while still officiating enough games to stay in the loop haha (finishing up my 7th season). With that being the case, I know how it is be on both sides of the boards and hope that more coaches look to wear the stripes: it will change your perspective for the better.

That being said, I'm looking forward to answer and ask question and hope that this more current and to-be members contribute. We all are passionate about the game so we can all learn from each other. 

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610
  • Like 2

Looking very much forward to this sub-forum :)

About me: While working full time, in my off-time I am co-coaching our clubs beginners practices (40 ppl between 16 and 60), host a few small training sessions before shinny most weeks, and have recently started working with our local girls hockey team. I currently hold the lowest certification level of our national hockey body, but am looking forward to spend the time next year to progress to the next level.

I looking forward to exchanging drills and experiences on running practices.

• Like 1

I'm coaching a women's team here in MI.  I haven't coached a team in almost 10 years.  It's a tough gig - have some beginners as well as some veterans - the common thread is that they have never played any organized hockey.  Some are receptive, the older ones are not.

I'm glad you guys are excited about this.  Like I said, this is a community; make this space yours!   If you guys want subforms or anything for a better structure, just PM me with your ideas.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

I'm coaching a women's team here in MI.  I haven't coached a team in almost 10 years.  It's a tough gig - have some beginners as well as some veterans - the common thread is that they have never played any organized hockey.  Some are receptive, the older ones are not.

I'm glad you guys are excited about this.  Like I said, this is a community; make this space yours!   If you guys want subforms or anything for a better structure, just PM me with your ideas.

Did this about 15 years ago for a few seasons, and couldn't agree more.  Had the wide talent range just like you.  They were always eager to learn, but it was frustrating when they would decide they didn't like someone and wouldn't play on a line or D pairing with that person because of it.  Had a lot of fun though.  

On 2018-03-07 at 10:15 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

women's hockey is great. had a chance to work with a few of the players on team canada (I was on the coaching staff of a canadian university team for a few yrs) and have nothing but good things to say about how far the high level game has developped.

at the grass roots level I think coaches could do more to teach technical fundamentals (weight shift, upper body rotation, weight transfer). Ive had some discussions with other coaches about figure skating vs ringuette vs hockey for girls in their teenaged years, and I think it's not a matter of picking which one but doing all three if possible so that the young player is able to pick up elements in each sport (dynamic balance, body awareness in figure skating; heavy stick, upper body range & willingness to hold the hoop/puck in ringuette) that will carry over in hockey

edit: I think boys should get the opportunity to try figure skating and ringuette as well. Im almost 30 and have never skated better after practicing more figure skating drills and techniques at open skates this year. there s a great video of jeff skinner doing figure skate jumps - no doubt it's helped him become a dynamic player

Edited by 10013005
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 10013005 said:

[snip]

at the grass roots level I think coaches could do more to teach technical fundamentals (weight shift, upper body rotation, weight transfer). 

[snip]

This goes for everyone, regardless of gender....

Particularly recently, a disturbing trend in youth hockey in the States has been to jump way too quickly from coaching the technical fundamentals to ATTEMPTING to coach "system play".  I've seen/heard way too many 8U - 10U coaches brag about how they've taught their teams to 'trap' or 'weak-side-lock' or whatever.  Honestly, what a load of solid waste from a male bovine. 

At those levels, we should be focused on teaching our teams to skate, pass, handle pucks, shoot, and compete.  Sure, they also need to learn simple team concepts such as defensive zone coverage and breakouts; but wasting precious ice time teaching a complex, overarching 'system' to younger players only stunts their skill development and creativity.  

I had a long, drawn out argument with a 10UBB parent at the start of this season - he was adamant that I should be teaching 'system play' to the team.  I demurred and tried to deflect the conversation to a different tack.  Of course, he was groin-grabbingly persistent - even in the face of my obvious reluctance to 'go there', so I finally flat out refused and said the following:  

"Shawn, I would waste the entire season trying to teach this group of 9 year olds how to trap and then transition to an aggressive 2-2-1 forecheck...and most of them STILL wouldn't 'get it'.  Instead, we're going to work on skating, passing, shooting, and competing.  And we're going to work on those 4 things again and again.  And again.  And we'll work on them next year.  And all through pee-wees, too.  Then, when they're 13 and 14, they'll (a) be mentally ready for 'system play', and (b) be able to execute the fundamentals well enough that we can teach a 'system' in about 45 minutes...instead of wasting an entire season."

He was unconvinced.  Until last week, when he came up to me, shook my hand, and told me that his daughter had improved more this year than she had in any year before now.  He didn't tell me that I was right about the systems thing...but he didn't have to. :wink:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Santos L Halper said:

This goes for everyone, regardless of gender....

Particularly recently, a disturbing trend in youth hockey in the States has been to jump way too quickly from coaching the technical fundamentals to ATTEMPTING to coach "system play".  I've seen/heard way too many 8U - 10U coaches brag about how they've taught their teams to 'trap' or 'weak-side-lock' or whatever.  Honestly, what a load of solid waste from a male bovine. 

At those levels, we should be focused on teaching our teams to skate, pass, handle pucks, shoot, and compete.  Sure, they also need to learn simple team concepts such as defensive zone coverage and breakouts; but wasting precious ice time teaching a complex, overarching 'system' to younger players only stunts their skill development and creativity.  

I had a long, drawn out argument with a 10UBB parent at the start of this season - he was adamant that I should be teaching 'system play' to the team.  I demurred and tried to deflect the conversation to a different tack.  Of course, he was groin-grabbingly persistent - even in the face of my obvious reluctance to 'go there', so I finally flat out refused and said the following:  

"Shawn, I would waste the entire season trying to teach this group of 9 year olds how to trap and then transition to an aggressive 2-2-1 forecheck...and most of them STILL wouldn't 'get it'.  Instead, we're going to work on skating, passing, shooting, and competing.  And we're going to work on those 4 things again and again.  And again.  And we'll work on them next year.  And all through pee-wees, too.  Then, when they're 13 and 14, they'll (a) be mentally ready for 'system play', and (b) be able to execute the fundamentals well enough that we can teach a 'system' in about 45 minutes...instead of wasting an entire season."

He was unconvinced.  Until last week, when he came up to me, shook my hand, and told me that his daughter had improved more this year than she had in any year before now.  He didn't tell me that I was right about the systems thing...but he didn't have to. :wink:

there is no such thing as "systems", especially for players who do not have the technical fundamentals down pat (basically anyone U16 AAA or equivalent)

here's the thing about hockey sense - for me it boils down to being able to count to 3 when you're on the ice. if you're able to get your head up and READ whether you're in a 1vs1, 2vs1, 3vs1; 1vs2 2vs2, 3vs2 or 1vs3, 2vs3 or 3vs3, then you'll only need to be taught how to REACT once or twice to make the right play.

If I ran a practice for young players I dont think I'd use any drills at all, only a few exercises which isolate the 3 basic technical elements, then small area games with different numbers of players on each side, and then give feedback based on how the players interpret & respond to each situation.

Edited by 10013005
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, 10013005 said:

[snip]

here's the thing about hockey sense - for me it boils down to being able to count to 3 when you're on the ice. if you're able to get your head up and READ whether you're in a 1vs1, 2vs1, 3vs1; 1vs2 2vs2, 3vs2 or 1vs3, 2vs3 or 3vs3, then you'll only need to be taught how to REACT once or twice to make the right play.

[snip]

Yep.  My favorite thing to say in practice is, "LOOK!  READ!  REACT!".  

That said, particularly in the younger age groups, I also try to teach them not to be afraid of making a mistake.  So many young kids are simply paralyzed by their fear of making the 'wrong' play that they either hold the puck until they're completely out of options (bad), or panic and throw it away (way worse).  I try really hard to instill a 'no judgement' philosophy in my assistants in the younger levels - the only mistake we consider 'unacceptable' is the mistake of not working hard.  Otherwise, they're teaching opportunities. 

In my experience, once kids figure out that they're not going to get barked at because they make the 'wrong' play, they become way more receptive to seeing the 'right' play and, more importantly, WHY it's the right play.  

25 minutes ago, 10013005 said:

[snip]

If I ran a practice for young players I dont think I'd use any drills at all, only a few exercises which isolate the 3 basic technical elements, then small area games with different numbers of players on each side, and then give feedback based on how the players interpret & respond to each situation.

Agree, to a point.  Though I don't use them anywhere NEAR as much as my coaches did when I was young, drills still have their place in my practices - particularly drills that force kids to use their creativity and step outside their comfort zone when it comes to handling pucks and playing with pace.  I will intentionally design drills that have multiple decision points for a player and insist they are done at warp speed.  The only time the kids get barked at is if they slow down.

It all goes back to "LOOK! READ! REACT!"  The faster the kids can recognize a situation (even a contrived one) and make A decision...the easier it is to teach them to make the RIGHT decision.

5 hours ago, 10013005 said:

edit: I think boys should get the opportunity to try figure skating and ringuette as well. Im almost 30 and have never skated better after practicing more figure skating drills and techniques at open skates this year. there s a great video of jeff skinner doing figure skate jumps - no doubt it's helped him become a dynamic player

Yes! I wish I knew that when I was younger. Top figure skaters have such superior edge compared to most, if not all, hockey players (at ANY level). Just watching the Winter Olympics was yet another reminder haha. Something that I'll expose my kids to if they want to pursue hockey.

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Yes! I wish I knew that when I was younger. Top figure skaters have such superior edge compared to most, if not all, hockey players (at ANY level). Just watching the Winter Olympics was yet another reminder haha. Something that I'll expose my kids to if they want to pursue hockey.

youtube is a great resource.

this hockey canada one is pretty old but the drills in it are great at the start of the season. many young players cannot do the one-legged exercises or can only do it on one side. unless it's identified, worked on and perfected, they ll have a hard time playing a tight gap or aggressive DZ coverage later on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10013005 said:

youtube is a great resource.

this hockey canada one is pretty old but the drills in it are great at the start of the season. many young players cannot do the one-legged exercises or can only do it on one side. unless it's identified, worked on and perfected, they ll have a hard time playing a tight gap or aggressive DZ coverage later on.

From years of officiating, I've done these drills during seminars. Unfortunately, I don't have nearly as much time as I had back in the day ha. Useful stuff nonetheless.

2 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

From years of officiating, I've done these drills during seminars. Unfortunately, I don't have nearly as much time as I had back in the day ha. Useful stuff nonetheless.

love to watch high level refs skate. often theyre the most technically efficient guys on the ice!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 10013005 said:

[snip]

many young players cannot do the one-legged exercises or can only do it on one side. unless it's identified, worked on and perfected, they ll have a hard time playing a tight gap or aggressive DZ coverage later on.

Love this video - have been referring to it for years....to the point that I can hear the music in my sleep.

:wink:

The importance of skating simply can't be overstated - particularly given the way the game has changed in recent years.  High level hockey has become a speed and finesse game.  Though the physicality of the game remains, gone are the days of the plodding grinders and pure "stay at home" defensemen.  If a player can't skate at a high level, s/he can't PLAY at a high level...it's that simple.  

It's gotten to a point that, if a young player shows ANY interest in getting involved in the club/travel hockey world, I immediately advise the parents to invest in skating lessons - regardless of how "good" their kid seems to be out there.  (Hell, I believe in skating lessons so much that I advise the in-house kids/parents to do it, too...but, as far as I'm concerned, it's virtually a necessity for club/travel level players.)  Bad skating habits are SO much easier to correct when a player is younger than 10-11....once they reach 12U (pee wees) and they start hitting the beginning stages of puberty, the little things have a tendency to morph into "big" things and become damn near impossible to fix.  

• Like 2

My boy does skating lessons one to two times a week.  When asked by other parents how he got good so fast that is my response.  He is not the strongest stick handler or has the best shot, but he is not getting out skated.  He also goes to every public skate he can.  It's amazing what a game of tag of their friends will teach a kid.  He is now part of the figure skating club as well. Which means he is wearing figure skates and getting coached by The figure skating coaches.  His edge work began to increase almost instantly.  I had to promise him that he wouldn't miss any hockey due to figure skating.  This also gives him access to the ice that is specifically intended for him to work on skating.  The importance of skating is lost on a lot of parents and kids.  Most of the kids he plays with don't like working on "just" skating.  My boy is the rarity, i think.  Bottom line, kids need to learn to skate and skate well to have success or just have fun being able to compete.  Glad to hear you guys preach this.  

Edited by jmiro
  • Like 2

I've been coaching high school hockey for ten years (just won our first state championship!)  I also work with the youth program teaching kids ages three-and-up how to ice skate and play hockey.  This forum's a great idea!

I love it and balancing skill work, systems and just overall player development on and off the ice.  The psychological aspect to coaching is something I hope comes in use if I ever become a parent haha.

17 hours ago, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

I've been coaching high school hockey for ten years (just won our first state championship!) 

[snip]

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

My 16s play for the state championship on Saturday - can't wait!!!

I coached Learn to Play in my town for 3 years... Been out for a few because I've just plain had no time, between school and work.  I do miss it.  I don't think I'd ever want to coach travel - not high level travel anyhow, too much crazy.  I loved coaching LTP and I wouldn't mind mites.  The guy who was president of the town organization had it in for me the whole time, as I'm not a parent so he felt I wouldn't be as devoted to the program as someone "with a dog in the [fight]".  Kind of an uncomfortable situation.

At any rate, I hope to return to some kind of coaching in the Fall. :) 

20 hours ago, Santos L Halper said:

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

My 16s play for the state championship on Saturday - can't wait!!!

Thanks!  It was an unreal experience.  So proud of the kids! And good luck to your kids!

6 hours ago, badger_14 said:

I coached Learn to Play in my town for 3 years... Been out for a few because I've just plain had no time, between school and work.  I do miss it.  I don't think I'd ever want to coach travel - not high level travel anyhow, too much crazy.  I loved coaching LTP and I wouldn't mind mites.  The guy who was president of the town organization had it in for me the whole time, as I'm not a parent so he felt I wouldn't be as devoted to the program as someone "with a dog in the [fight]".  Kind of an uncomfortable situation.

At any rate, I hope to return to some kind of coaching in the Fall. :) 

That's why I enjoy being an assistant on varsity and then coaching JV.  I get to work mostly with the players and their development and don't really have to deal with any of the politics involved.  But I'm sure high school hockey is a different animal than travel.

Edited by MyBoxersSayJoe

I am more appreciative of the guys who dont "have a dog in the fight". Politics are aweful.  Then you add coaching your own kid which can be a lose, lose situtation.  Kid thinks (maybe you are) being to hard on him/her.  Parents think that your kid is getting special treatment.  On top of which you might be a great mite coach but that doesn't mean you will be a great 16u coach or vice versa.  When I have coached I tried to make sure that the other coaches were handling my child.  Plus I want to see my kid play and not have to focus on everything else.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 5:36 AM, badger_14 said:

[snip]

The guy who was president of the town organization had it in for me the whole time, as I'm not a parent so he felt I wouldn't be as devoted to the program as someone "with a dog in the [fight]".  Kind of an uncomfortable situation.

[snip]

People like the horse's ass that is in charge of OP's town's organization see a group of guys and girls that don't have kids involved - and yet, simply because they love hockey (and maybe want to teach a kid or two to love it as well), are STILL willing to coach...thereby sacrificing any semblance of a normal social/family life... 

....and then discourage their participation.

That attitude is so idiotic I have a hard time fathoming how it ever gets perpetuated.

The people that don't "have a dog in the fight" are the coaches that we should be ENCOURAGING - not driving out of the game.  

Edited by Santos L Halper
Clarity
  • Like 1

Well, the head coach for my wife's team asked me to take over the duties for next year.  I accepted.

He retired from his job and wants to be free to travel with his family.

We started our playoffs (they do a tournament weekend) yesterday with me behind the bench as the head coach was in his own playoffs for his league.   We won 1-0.

On 3/21/2018 at 4:08 PM, jmiro said:

I am more appreciative of the guys who dont "have a dog in the fight". Politics are aweful.  Then you add coaching your own kid which can be a lose, lose situtation.  Kid thinks (maybe you are) being to hard on him/her.  Parents think that your kid is getting special treatment.  On top of which you might be a great mite coach but that doesn't mean you will be a great 16u coach or vice versa.  When I have coached I tried to make sure that the other coaches were handling my child.  Plus I want to see my kid play and not have to focus on everything else.

Try coaching your wife.  I've gotten the "is he pissed at me because I criticized" look from the head coach/assistant coach to my wife being salty on the bench because she doesn't want to take orders from her husband...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Try coaching your wife.  I've gotten the "is he pissed at me because I criticized" look from the head coach/assistant coach to my wife being salty on the bench because she doesn't want to take orders from her husband...

lol by far the least coachable person Ive tried to teach hockey stuff to is my current girlfriend

• Like 1