Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
CigarScott

Reebok/Jofa Shin Pads

I've been scouring Ebay and Sideline Swap for shin pads from Reebok/Jofa and really don't know the difference between the lines, 7K, 8K, 20K, 21K, etc. Is there a difference between the standard lines and the "pro stock" models? Is there a noticeable difference in quality with the Swedish-made models versus the Chinese-made ones?

I guess what I'm asking is, what model of these shin pads were the widest and most accommodating for people with tree trunk legs and cantaloupes for knee caps? Right now, the only shin guard on the market that I can fit into that I've been able to try is the Bauer Supreme S190 which I bought at 16" due to the shop employee's recommendation and once I really tried them out, I noticed a pretty good gap of coverage between the pad and my skates. If I can find a Reebok/Jofa that is even more generous size-wise, I think I want to try them out; I can always get S190, especially after Bauer releases their new stuff this summer and I can get them on sale.

I asked something similar with Warrior shins last week. From what I know Reebok/CCM pro stock is different from retail. I think the differences just has to do with the strapping, padding (especially with shins), flexability and little features such as vent armor. I've seen pro branded shoulders from 4K to 8K and in retail the lower numbers do not offer even close to the same protection. I think in the 7K vs 8K from reading the 7K liner doesn't cover as much, so may offer more space and might mean 19K is an updated 7K. Not from experience just based on some exploring.

Edited by nutters

I've been wearing Jofa 6070s for the past 11-12 years which I believe are the 7k equivalents. No problems with them other than the liner ripping over time, exposing the foam inside.

The difference between the 7k and 8k is that the kneecap and shinguard is attached by leather/fabric. The 7k kneecap and shinguards are attached together. Calf protection is virtually non-existent in 7ks as 8ks have more calf wrap. 

Hopefully you can come across a pair to try on in person before purchasing. I didn't realize how much they're going for on ebay. 

6 hours ago, CigarScott said:

I've been scouring Ebay and Sideline Swap for shin pads from Reebok/Jofa and really don't know the difference between the lines, 7K, 8K, 20K, 21K, etc. Is there a difference between the standard lines and the "pro stock" models? Is there a noticeable difference in quality with the Swedish-made models versus the Chinese-made ones?

If you're going by the old numbering convention, the 7K = 19K and the 8K = 21K.  From what I noticed owning a pair of pro stock 19Ks, the pro stock shin guards don't seem to have straps, or at least they don't come with them so you'd have to buy some separately.

People say there's a quality difference but I've never owned a Sweden pair so I can't say for sure.

The Malung tag is more of a status symbol than anything else.  The Chinese-made ones are fine.

As stated, the 19k is the latest 7k/xx70, and the 21k is the 9k/xx90.

Does the 21k still have the removable calf wing?  Before, the calf wing was fixed on the xx70 and removable on the xx90.

I had both at some point, and the xx90 just felt like overkill for my style of play.  

I much prefer the minimalist 3075s that I have, and luckily for me, I have a brand new pair in storage - thanks @Buzz_LightBeer!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andoy said:

Hopefully you can come across a pair to try on in person before purchasing.

I wish I could. I live in Alabama so finding a pair to even try on within reasonable driving distance would be next to impossible. As I've joked with people before, finding hockey equipment in the Deep South is almost difficult as finding cricket or rugby equipment...

Reviving an older topic to ask if there's some sort of definitive guide to the pro stock shin models out there. Does this exist? Does a pro catalog exist?

• Like 2

Reebok 20K Pro was actually a retail shin. I got a pair in 2014 or 2015, I believe and am still using them. I love them, except I wish they just had a bit more cushion in the knee. Aside from that they are total tanks and remarkably light considering how much Franken protection they provide otherwise (aside from the lack of knee cushion). I have taken so many pucks in the ankle area where these shine, and no other pads cover. Also, the long outer guard that wraps around the calf has seen a lot of hard shots. Somehow, despite it being real think with minimal cushion, it has always done me right. 

I still rotate between 2 pairs of that generation, but 5k not 9k. Something about the fit/shape is juuuuuust right. 5k is plenty protective for beer league. 

12 hours ago, yk15 said:

The best shins you can find are original RBK\Jofa 9k. Hands down from my experience.

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/protective/shin-pads/1290869-reebok-1st-generation-jofa-design-9k-shin-pads-18

Everything except for the annoying top flap.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:09 PM, Cosmic said:

Reebok 20K Pro was actually a retail shin. I got a pair in 2014 or 2015, I believe and am still using them. I love them, except I wish they just had a bit more cushion in the knee. Aside from that they are total tanks and remarkably light considering how much Franken protection they provide otherwise (aside from the lack of knee cushion). I have taken so many pucks in the ankle area where these shine, and no other pads cover. Also, the long outer guard that wraps around the calf has seen a lot of hard shots. Somehow, despite it being real think with minimal cushion, it has always done me right. 

I've never tried on a shin pad as bow legged as the 20K.

• Like 1

I'm using Jofa 9060's...they're pretty indestructible and to me they're comfortable.  Also using Nexus 2n's...also great, but I can't see the Bauers lasting nearly as long.  The trade-off is they're lighter and dry amazingly fast in comparison.

• Like 1