Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jared9356

Sesamoid Pain?

So I’m not entirely sure that the pain I’m getting is in the sesamoid bones, but it’s severe. Here’s the general area: https://imgur.com/a/EpgPL

This began about a month ago. I just started reffing and do about four games a weekend. I was using Superfeet Yellow and just recently switched to Shock Doctor Active Ultra. The switch hasn’t really helped.

Has anyone else experienced severe pain here? Any suggestions about solutions?

I used to have pain there when the rivet just under that spot was a steel rivet. I could feel the bump of a steel rivet at that spot even through a thick insole. I would always have it replaced by a copper rivet since it's flatter than a steel rivet, and it would solve the problem.

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 1

Try a forefoot gel pad and see if that helps. If it does then you need to look at whatever is under your foot in the boot. I doubt it's pronation causing that issue, not the underside of the foot. If pronation is a factor you are more likely to get pain on the inside of the foot in that area.

You can get pain in that area if the arch support is not the right shape for your foot. Also consider pitch, are the skates new or anything else recently changed? It could be putting you to far forward onto the balls of your feet and your muscles are working hard to try and pull you back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry54 said:

I used to have pain there when the rivet just under that spot was a steel rivet. I could feel the bump of a steel rivet at that spot even through a thick insole. I would always have it replaced by a copper rivet since it's flatter than a steel rivet, and it would solve the problem.

I’ll defini try that because I have been noticing the river directly under that spot since the pain started.

34 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Try a forefoot gel pad and see if that helps. If it does then you need to look at whatever is under your foot in the boot. I doubt it's pronation causing that issue, not the underside of the foot. If pronation is a factor you are more likely to get pain on the inside of the foot in that area.

You can get pain in that area if the arch support is not the right shape for your foot. Also consider pitch, are the skates new or anything else recently changed? It could be putting you to far forward onto the balls of your feet and your muscles are working hard to try and pull you back.

I’ve been in these skates (stock MX3s) for two years without issue so no change. You and Larry may be onto something with what’s going on under that area in the skate.

Just had a 4 game set tonight. Had the 2 rivets in that general area replaced with copper which helped, but by the end of the night, the pain was just as bad as usual. Podiatrist may be only option at this point.

If you don't already have a podiatrist, I would ask the local pro shop or LHS folks to recommend one that has experience with dealing with skaters and skate orthotics. I live in Birmingham and my regular podiatrist and orthotist had zero experience making orthotics for a hockey boot or really knew about the bio-mechanical issues that skaters deal with versus walking. Regular orthotics for shoes will typically not fit in skates so having someone that can get low profile orthotics that won't take all of your volume in your skates is important. I asked the pro shop manager at my rink and she recommended a podiatrist that does skate orthotics, who happen to have daughters in the figure skating program. If you know or know someone who knows the equipment manager or trainer for the Stars, I'm sure they have someone on speed dial in the Metroplex that handles these things for their players...

• Like 1

Have you considered it may be a fit issue? What model skate are you wearing... how long have you been in them... who fitted you? You may not notice it skating once or twice a week, but 4 games in a weekend is a lot of time in skates and ref’ing is a lot standing. 

Try not to hyperfocus on one thing. You need to consider any and all possibilities. 

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

Have you considered it may be a fit issue? What model skate are you wearing... how long have you been in them... who fitted you? You may not notice it skating once or twice a week, but 4 games in a weekend is a lot of time in skates and ref’ing is a lot standing. 

Try not to hyperfocus on one thing. You need to consider any and all possibilities. 

MX3s. I’ve been in Supremes since 2012. The rivet issue was/is definitely a part of it as the pain in the left foot was nearly gone once I got copper installed. 

As I said before, get some ball of foot gel pads. It's a cheap fix. I had pain in a similar spot a few years ago when wearing Graf Ultras. It wasn't a rivet issue but the screw holder and tiny bits of staple poking up thru the sole of the boot. My superfeet yellow didn't stop it but once I put the gel pads in everything was sweet.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Stylish-Cushions-Heels/dp/B01MCZFO4P/ref=lp_3780101_1_8_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1522019776&sr=1-8

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jared9356 said:

MX3s. I’ve been in Supremes since 2012. The rivet issue was/is definitely a part of it as the pain in the left foot was nearly gone once I got copper installed. 

Maybe your foot just needs a bit of rest to fully get back to normal. Then the fact that you switched to a copper rivet will prevent the problem from recurring.

Edited by Larry54

I started having that problem recently also.  I did just transition from Tacks in 8 D to Supremes in 7.5 D.  Does it feel like you have a pebble under your skin?  I finally went to a podiatrist and my sesamoid was broken! 😳.  When I get back on the ice I’m going to get a thicker insole and cut a small hole where that bone is to allow extra room for it and relieve some of the pressure on it.  Hope this helps!