Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
2nhockey

Turf Toe

Recently started playing hockey so I've been skating a ton more in the last 2-3 months than I ever have. I think I have 'turf toe', which manifests itself as either an annoying twinge or, like last night, pain under my big toe, between the joint and the ball of my foot.

Is there any way to prevent this? How do I treat/cure what I already have?

If it matters, my skates are CCM 46k's and they fit me well. I've been wearing them since I started skating about 2 years ago.

Thanks for any insight!

Are you unconsciously curling your toes inside the skate? I had a terrible habit of doing it and found Powerfeet inserts and Superfeet yellow really helped.

I'll check the rivets when I get home but since I now feel it in my dress shoes and tennis shoes I don't think it is a rivet...

I am not subconsciously curling my toes in my skates... since the pain has started it is the only way I can get relief so I am very conciously doing it...

Just checked the rivets - they're good.

Forward lean... never thought of it. I'll pay attention next time I skate.

So tell me about Powerfeet...? How might that help?

2 hours ago, 2nhockey said:

So tell me about Powerfeet...? How might that help?

They reduce the negative space in the toe box, so your toes don't move and you feel more connected to your skate. Here's a video that show basically what they are. They're a little pricey for what you get, but I use them, and find they're worth the money. Though, if you're industrious enough, you can make your own. That's what I did before I went with the real thing.

I get something similar, an ache between the ball of my foot and my big toe. Thankfully, it is mild doesn't seem to be getting worse.

I really like powerfeet. I was moving my toes around in the toebox too much and they just feel more anchored and comfortable. It is a little pricey for what it is, but the value I have gotten out of it totally justified the cost. I don't know it it will help the turf toe, but it made my skates a lot more comfortable.

I picked up the Powerfoot inserts and got them installed. They do make the skates more comfortable and I think they helped a bit with the turf toe, but they didn't provide total relief. 

Without seeing how you skate or knowing your background in physical exercise it's hard to tell. But you say you have recently started to skate a lot more, possibly overloading ligaments that are not used to the stress. RICE, get the pain to stop and then work on strengthening the ligaments. Google turf toe exercises. 

I had this fairly recently after changing my holders (I'm in Mako 2's and finding it tough to get new step steel so changed over to Speedblade 4's). I was getting pain under my big toes. Moved over to Superfeets and it stopped.. but I'm not liking how unsupported and higher up my heel is with the superfeets - with a thinner insole (like the Speed Plates) I feel planted and solid, with the superfeets (after 10 odd sessions), I'm not feeling the same and feel less connection with the ice.. 

But changing the insole might work in your case as well.. 

Appreciate the help. I've stayed off the ice all week but if is still bothering me. I'm trying some of the fixes on Google... seems like it is going to be a protracted battle.