Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MrBrownstone

True XC9 gloves vs. Warrior QRL Pro?

I'm looking to update my gloves (currently in Easton HSX Synergy), and I'd like to try another brand this time around.  I love the anatomical fit of my current gloves, which I found better for me than Bauer's equivalent 1s and also found the 1x to be too loose.

I've read good things about both the True XC9 and the Warrior QRL Pros, which especially get a lot of love around here.  My problem is that I haven't found anywhere locally yet that have the Trues in stock to try on.

The quality seems to be roughly equal for both, but my main concern is surrounding fit between the two.  Has anyone had experience with both and can speak to which provides the snugger fit throughout?  I'm not as concerned about the Z-palm technology in the Trues and value fit above all else.

Edited by MrBrownstone

2 hours ago, MrBrownstone said:

[snip]

The quality seems to be roughly equal for both...

[snip]

I'd probably disagree. 

Anecdotal to be sure, but I've personally seen two pairs of True gloves fail prematurely (...at least, what I would consider "prematurely") at the zipper attachment *to the glove*, not to the replaceable palm.  I have not seen similar failures in Warrior gloves...but then again, Warrior gloves don't have the zipper.

Definitely not a large enough sample size to conclude that said failure is representative of the overall quality of the gloves - but absolutely enough to give me pause regarding True, were I considering a new pair of gloves.

Personally, I wear STX Surgeon 500 gloves and love them.  I've always felt like hockey gloves could/should be more like lacrosse gloves when it comes to anatomical fit, overall finger dexterity, and wrist mobility; and the Surgeon 500s are the closest thing I've ever found to being sort of a 'hybrid' between a hockey glove and a lacrosse glove.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.  

• Like 1

@Santos L Halper thanks for the insight; I also saw a review on a site commenting on the lack of zipper durability.  From my perspective, it seems more like a gimmick that doesn't appeal to me.  I'll check out STX also, but did you try on the True gloves or get an idea of fit from the people you know who owned them?

29 minutes ago, MrBrownstone said:

@Santos L Halper thanks for the insight; I also saw a review on a site commenting on the lack of zipper durability.  From my perspective, it seems more like a gimmick that doesn't appeal to me.  I'll check out STX also, but did you try on the True gloves or get an idea of fit from the people you know who owned them?

Yeah.  Probably should have mentioned that....

I've tried both on in the store and the Warrior QRL Pros seem to fit "closer" than the True XC9s.  Again.  In the store.  

However, I cannot speak to how either glove breaks in or how it feels over the long term.   

• Thanks 1

I was going to recommend the Surgeon 500 gloves before even reading the post from Santos. I tried the XC9 and QRL gloves on at Modsquadhockey events and both felt comfortable, but the QRL is the snugger fitting glove of those two. I own a pair of HSX gloves and STX Surgeons and the Surgeon gloves are definitely the tightest in the fingers and backhand, but open up more in the wrist area. 

If I was buying new gloves today I would go for another pair of STX Surgeons, but the QRL gloves would be on the shortlist. You could also consider the  CCM Quicklite gloves. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Thanks 1

I’d echo what has been said here already. STX surgeon gloves warrant a look for sure. That said, the QRL line I think is more suitable than Trues line. While I’ve been impressed by their sticks, Trues protective lines to me have seemed lackluster compared to other manufacturers. I like the Zpalm concept, but I feel the execution isn’t quite there yet. 

Fit wise, check out the surgeon and QRL line

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have both the True XC9 and The Warrior QRL Pros. Both are Pro Stock and both 13" gloves. The Warriors are Gaudreau and the True XC9 is Hoffman in

Ottawa Colors. Truth be told I'm happy with both pair.  The Trues being Pro Stock do not have the zipper palms. The Warrior's in my case have a much

tighter fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate all the feedback!  Yesterday on the way home from work, I stopped at a smaller local shop, and to my surprise, they had a pair of the True gloves in my size as well as the the Warriors and the STX Surgeons (300 not 500, so not sure comparing apples to apples with others in terms of top of the line).  Tried them all on, and the Warriors were far and away my favorite of the bunch.  The Surgeons were nice but maybe a touch too restrictive whereas the Trues felt like they had a lot of slop, with the thumb feeling especially off.  I would definitely opt for Pro Stock if going with the Trues as I could see that zipper easily causing problems down the line.

The Warrior QRL Pros were just about perfect for what I'm looking for and needless to say I'm a COnVERT (horribly lame pun intended - sorry, couldn't help myself).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MrBrownstone said:

Appreciate all the feedback!  Yesterday on the way home from work, I stopped at a smaller local shop, and to my surprise, they had a pair of the True gloves in my size as well as the the Warriors and the STX Surgeons (300 not 500, so not sure comparing apples to apples with others in terms of top of the line).  Tried them all on, and the Warriors were far and away my favorite of the bunch.  The Surgeons were nice but maybe a touch too restrictive whereas the Trues felt like they had a lot of slop, with the thumb feeling especially off.  I would definitely opt for Pro Stock if going with the Trues as I could see that zipper easily causing problems down the line.

The Warrior QRL Pros were just about perfect for what I'm looking for and needless to say I'm a COnVERT (horribly lame pun intended - sorry, couldn't help myself).

I fully agree with your assessment. True gloves don’t give me the same response and dexterity as warriors or other glove manufacturers do. Sloppy is a good way to put it, and the thumb especially. Both Warrior glove lines work for me, I just give a little nod to the QX (almost bought coverts before the QX released). If I liked things a little more tight, covert would be the way I’d go, I just love how Warrior gloves move in general 

• Like 2

apologies for the typical Sunday resurrection, but I was interested to see if anyone has tried on or owns the Pro Stock XC9 gloves like HM is selling.  I've surmised the A series are huge but what about these XC models. Normally I am a 14 in Covert, Supreme etc.  Are the 14s in these huge too? thanks. amen.

I have a pair, and they are terrible. The fingers don't even stretch completely straight. Only reason I bought mine was because they were Coyotes retro colours and were the cheapest I could fine in that colourway.

Seriously ignore these and look at anything else.

7 hours ago, OldCY said:

apologies for the typical Sunday resurrection, but I was interested to see if anyone has tried on or owns the Pro Stock XC9 gloves like HM is selling.  I've surmised the A series are huge but what about these XC models. Normally I am a 14 in Covert, Supreme etc.  Are the 14s in these huge too? thanks. amen.

The 2020 XC9 glove is absolutely amazing and will release soon. I wish they would have not postponed the 2020 release date for protective so people could have gotten those the current TRUE rebate program to save some cash. 

https://www.true-hockey.com/media/2020_TRUE_Catalog.pdf Page 39.  

Here are some pics of the pre-production pair they gave me to demo that I sold. The only reason for selling them is I have way too many pairs and didn't need another set. My SO has really been cracking down on me and how much gear I have. She says she can't even go in a single room in the house and not find at least one piece of hockey gear. lol 

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/gloves/1274873-true-2020-xc9-gloves-gloves-black-senior-13 

You would likely need a 14" in the 2020 model if you wait for their release. They fit quite snug. I wear a 14" in Vapor and Jetspeed. On a more traditional glove like the Nexus and such I can usually drop down to a 13" 

Also, I forgot to reply to your actual question. Are the 2019 Pro Stock XC9 gloves nice? They are good, not great. I would personally not get them if it was my money. There is better options. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW
grammar edirs

That is awesome info thanks. I believe the HM ones are the first iteration roughly 2016 or so.  I saw the newer 2020 models on IW. They do look cool

I am not a fan of the previous XC9. Considered and tried on, they were not what I'd refer to as a snug fitting glove. I have worn ORL Pros and I found them to be really comfortable (I'm pretty much a 4roll guy through and through, and those were my intro to a snug glove with a flex cuff, and they were definitely impressive). My criticism of the ORL Pro was the protection. I definitely did not feel that they were sufficient, and I did not want to keep them as I was concerned I would end up with an injury if I kept playing in them. There are gaps in protection and I took sticks, the foam itself is super light so its comfortable, but it is light, and I felt impacts more than I wanted to. They are comfy and really mobile though. I have a pair of pro stock Alphas which are a lot better in the protection dept. I have heard that custom Coverts are the best bet for someone who wants a QRL Pro, as they have the same padding layout on the backhand (unlike the QREdge, which is much less mobile) but I have heard that the padding is better, although I cant say from experience, but the Alpha pro stock is a bit better. 

The 2020 XC9 look like modernized 4rolls. The breaks are bizarre though. I like that they put in the easton tabs