Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BlueNux

Skate recommendation after Bauer 3D Skate Lab

Long time lurker finally posting for advice!

I'm in the market for new skates since my current Vapor X:20 skates size 7.5D (comparable to today's x400) are starting to present issues. Specifically, the interior foam that wraps the heel and ankles are really flattening out and I'm feeling my heel rub up and down. I'm suspecting that this is the reason for the bauer bumps on my heels (slight bruise with a blister forming under the callus heel skin). I've never experienced these issues until around 2 weeks ago.

I went to a store and tried the Bauer 3D Skate lab. It recommended a 7D Supreme - most of my foot measurements were medium or between narrow/medium. When I tried the Supremes on, the length was perfect but it was 'meh' in terms of comfort. Understanding that skates feel different after baking, trying on ice, and breaking in, I don't want to dismiss any option too early and would like your recommendation on what skates I should try.

If I had to describe my foot, I would say it's definitely a size 7 skate in length, standard forefoot width (I recall slight pinching for a few months when I initially broke in my Vapors), low instep (to this day I've never experienced even a hint of lace bite with my Vapors), and normal arch. When I measured my foot at home, my length was around 26cm (10.2") and forefoot width 9.5cm (3.7") for a length/width ratio of ~2.75.

I'm not sure whether I have a narrow, narrow/medium, or medium heel and that's the main challenge (I stupidly forgot to note this measurement from the 3D Skate Lab and it's far away so can't go back). I really want a new skate that will have tight heel lock with padding that will keep the lock for a long time. Vapors are supposed to have the tightest heels and I still ended up with heel lock issues, but that could largely be because of the skates being low end and used quite a bit over the last year (around 10 hours on ice per week).

For the new skates, I definitely want a stiffer boot that will last the next 5+ years. In addition to Supreme S180, I'm considering the Jetspeed FT1, Ribcor 70K (the only other skate in 7D I tried in store and they felt comfortable, not sure because of ideal fit or because they're more cushioned/roomier than the Supremes), and the Super Tacks. I don't know how an ideal skate should even feel in-store (is it actually good for there to be some tightness?). I am a long-time Icewarehouse customer so I plan to get 2-3 skates to try and return the ones that don't fit well.

Edited by BlueNux

Sounds like the Jetspeed is probably your best bet.  The 3D scanner always tells me I'm a Supreme, but that skate fits me terribly.

Remember, it’s just a recommendation. There is always a secondary fit option. The scan put me in a Supreme as well but I ended up with a Vapor. 

All that said, you’re really gonna need to try different models and brands to see what works the best. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, puckpilot said:

One thing to think about is maybe your heel lock issues with the vapors were because those skates are a half size bigger than what's recommended now. 

Seconded.  The fact that he has Haglund's on both feet denotes an ill-fitting skate.

On 4/8/2018 at 11:47 AM, BlueNux said:

Long time lurker finally posting for advice!

I'm in the market for new skates since my current Vapor X:20 skates size 7.5D (comparable to today's x400) are starting to present issues. Specifically, the interior foam that wraps the heel and ankles are really flattening out and I'm feeling my heel rub up and down. I'm suspecting that this is the reason for the bauer bumps on my heels (slight bruise with a blister forming under the callus heel skin). I've never experienced these issues until around 2 weeks ago.

I went to a store and tried the Bauer 3D Skate lab. It recommended a 7D Supreme - most of my foot measurements were medium or between narrow/medium. When I tried the Supremes on, the length was perfect but it was 'meh' in terms of comfort. Understanding that skates feel different after baking, trying on ice, and breaking in, I don't want to dismiss any option too early and would like your recommendation on what skates I should try.

If I had to describe my foot, I would say it's definitely a size 7 skate in length, standard forefoot width (I recall slight pinching for a few months when I initially broke in my Vapors), low instep (to this day I've never experienced even a hint of lace bite with my Vapors), and normal arch. When I measured my foot at home, my length was around 26cm (10.2") and forefoot width 9.5cm (3.7") for a length/width ratio of ~2.75.

I'm not sure whether I have a narrow, narrow/medium, or medium heel and that's the main challenge (I stupidly forgot to note this measurement from the 3D Skate Lab and it's far away so can't go back). I really want a new skate that will have tight heel lock with padding that will keep the lock for a long time. Vapors are supposed to have the tightest heels and I still ended up with heel lock issues, but that could largely be because of the skates being low end and used quite a bit over the last year (around 10 hours on ice per week).

For the new skates, I definitely want a stiffer boot that will last the next 5+ years. In addition to Supreme S180, I'm considering the Jetspeed FT1, Ribcor 70K (the only other skate in 7D I tried in store and they felt comfortable, not sure because of ideal fit or because they're more cushioned/roomier than the Supremes), and the Super Tacks. I don't know how an ideal skate should even feel in-store (is it actually good for there to be some tightness?). I am a long-time Icewarehouse customer so I plan to get 2-3 skates to try and return the ones that don't fit well.

I am a huge advocate of CCM skates. The 70k is a great skate that is very flexible and adaptable to individuals feet. I think the FT1 is the best retail skate on the market currently, they are stiff but still flexible. The Super Tacks are fantastic but are VERY stiff and if they dont fit you well the skates will break your feet. The new Super Tack might be awesome as well, but it has not launched yet. The good news is CCM usually offers a 90 day no questions asked return policy with their new skates when released. 

It seems like from my observations that the Bauer 3D scanner by default recommends the Supremes to people unless they have huge feet (like myself) where it would recommend the Nexus or really skinny feet, where it recommends the Vapors, but I could be wrong. It recommended the Supremes for my fiance but thankfully it was the right call and she is comfortable and happy in her boots.

2 hours ago, CigarScott said:

It seems like from my observations that the Bauer 3D scanner by default recommends the Supremes to people unless they have huge feet (like myself) where it would recommend the Nexus or really skinny feet, where it recommends the Vapors, but I could be wrong. It recommended the Supremes for my fiance but thankfully it was the right call and she is comfortable and happy in her boots.

The labs I tested initially told me I needed a Vapor in a 7EE and was pretty much spot on. 

However, some other labs I test said I needed a Supreme in a 7.5D. 

I feel like the machine is a good starting point but it's recommendations should be taken with a grain on salt. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

The labs I tested initially told me I needed a Vapor in a 7EE and was pretty much spot on. 

However, some other labs I test said I needed a Supreme in a 7.5D. 

I feel like the machine is a good starting point but it's recommendations should be taken with a grain on salt. 

Thank you for providing this empirical observation Nicholas! I actually got a chance to try the Ribcor 7D in a LHS today and the forefoot/toe area was very roomy compared to Vapors. I'll pick between Vapors, Tacks, Jetspeed, and Supremes in 7D.

Also, I was told today at the LHS that a new AS1 Tacks is being released this year that will be custom. Is there any public info on this? What's even the point of picking between Jetspeeds and Tacks if ultimately the interior size/fit/volume of the skate will be customized for each foot anyway?

Edited by BlueNux

38 minutes ago, BlueNux said:

Thank you for providing this empirical observation Nicholas! I actually got a chance to try the Ribcor 7D in a LHS today and the forefoot/toe area was very roomy compared to Vapors. I'll pick between Vapors, Tacks, Jetspeed, and Supremes in 7D.

Also, I was told today at the LHS that a new AS1 Tacks is being released this year that will be custom. Is there any public info on this? What's even the point of picking between Jetspeeds and Tacks if ultimately the interior size/fit/volume of the skate will be customized for each foot anyway?

Only the Super Tacks AS1 will be available in custom. There are actually two options for custom.

The first is they scan your feet and find the best sizing of "off the shelf" retail Super Tack skates for you. This would allow you to mix and match sizes or widths.

The second is a true custom build. I don't have the specific details on that yet but should soon. I only have the basic literature CCM gives our shops. 

The Ribcor is roomier than the Vapor and also very flexible. It can stretch if needed. 

I wear True skates currently but the JetSpeed FT1 has been my favorite retail skate. The new Super Tacks might bump the FT1 out of its high place though. 

7 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

The good news is CCM usually offers a 90 day no questions asked return policy with their new skates when released. 

No - the return was in form of store credit. 

Just now, JR Boucicaut said:

No - the return was in form of store credit. 

It was a full refund. We processed a few returns for customers reimbursing their purchase and CCM reimbursed us once we sent them the skates back. 

Also, Pure offers 30 days return no questions asked, full refund. 

I’m aware of the Pure policy. I worked there. 

And once again it depended on the store/chain. When it was Total Hockey, we had to give it back on a gift card.  Trust me, it sucked. 

14 hours ago, CigarScott said:

I wouldn't call it a default recommendation. I think what you're seeing is the majority of people fit a Supreme.

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

I wouldn't call it a default recommendation. I think what you're seeing is the majority of people fit a Supreme.

How to answer that without reading the scanner’s source code, though?

• Facepalm 1

I did the 3d scan myself ,  and it wants me in a 6.5ee supreme . 7d supreme is close as nowhere usually has 6.5ee's to try. My issue with the 7d 1's is I fail the pencil test , not terribly but enough where I think ill get lace bite.  Would a 6.5ee offer more volume in the same 1s boot ? or essentially let my heel go back farther and give me more room ? or is the 6.5ee just wider in the toe box . sorry to off steer the thread .

Edited by ChrisS8899
  • Like 1

6.5EE would be wider all over vs a D. It'll have a B heel instead of an A. It will not be deeper.

I would try on a Tacks skate to see if that gives you a little more depth. 6.5EE in the current and upcoming models or 6EE in the 2014 lineup.

Edited by althoma1

5 hours ago, ChrisS8899 said:

I did the 3d scan myself ,  and it wants me in a 6.5ee supreme . 7d supreme is close as nowhere usually has 6.5ee's to try. My issue with the 7d 1's is I fail the pencil test , not terribly but enough where I think ill get lace bite.  Would a 6.5ee offer more volume in the same 1s boot ? or essentially let my heel go back farther and give me more room ? or is the 6.5ee just wider in the toe box . sorry to off steer the thread .

You have exactly the same problem as me. The scan told me 6.5 EE Supreme and I have now 7D Supreme. Tell what's your final decision. For me, I might give a try to the new AS1 or buy Bauer S190 when they will be in sale pretty soon.

45 minutes ago, flutie89 said:

You have exactly the same problem as me. The scan told me 6.5 EE Supreme and I have now 7D Supreme. Tell what's your final decision. For me, I might give a try to the new AS1 or buy Bauer S190 when they will be in sale pretty soon.

Yeah I may try the as1's as well. true with the new supreme line coming out . I am in 7d vapors now while heel lock isnt ideal , they fit well & pass the pencil test go figure 

16 hours ago, jmiro said:

Lab put me in 6.5 supreme....  Reality. Cant squeeze my foot in them.... 6.5ee nexus

You should try untying nearly all the laces until the tongue really flops out. The store I went to was out of the 7D (3D Skate Lab recommended) in many skate models so I asked to try some 6.5D just to test width differences between models. Couldn't squeeze my foot in at first with the way the laces were loosened by the salesperson, but after completely loosening all the laces down to like the bottom 2-3, my foot fit in fine on all the models I tried (though all my toes were quite pressed). You'd be surprised what you can fit into. I think the lab is really on point with measuring length and width of all the details of the foot since they're black and white numbers, but can be slightly off on recommendations since comfort is so personal.

5 hours ago, matix218 said:

How does the skate lab compare to a Bauer branock (sp?) tool as far as its length recommendations?

So I actually tested this in store as well. On the lab, my left foot was measured at around 7, while my right foot was measured at slightly under 7. On the blue Bauer brannock stick, my left foot was just over 7.5 and my right foot was just under 7.5. This is why my first skates were in 7.5D Vapors since I got them long time ago and the LHS only had access to the Bauer measuring stick.

Note that I did not wear socks on the skate lab, but did wear socks on the brannock stick. This wouldn't result in a difference greater than 2mm though, since the socks I wore were very thin skating socks provided by the store. I'm also the type of person who jams my heel back against the brannock stick to try to fit as tight a skate as possible - I only say this because the store person noted that most guys who come into the store have an ego about foot size (both length and width) and try to wiggle their way to a larger measurement even if half a size.

In my opinion, after this whole experience, I would recommend everyone to trust the skate lab when it comes to foot measurements, or subtract half a size from the Bauer brannock tool assuming you really press your heel when measuring. The lab doesn't just measure your length and forefoot width, but give you details on everything from instep and other measurements. It's also really hard to cheat it. I tried standing on the lab twice and both times the numbers were exactly the same, so it's very consistent assuming your feet didn't experience something that would change their shape between tests (for example, I'm sure your foot size changes before and after a game of hockey due to all the pressure).

Edited by BlueNux

3 hours ago, matix218 said:

How does the skate lab compare to a Bauer branock (sp?) tool as far as its length recommendations?

For length and width, what little experience I've had with both, they both seem fairy comparable. The brannock tool, however doesn't account for arch types, foot volume, etc which typically indicates which line of skates you should be wearing.