Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paddy

Skate inventory this time of year?

So, I've had enough of the agony. I really need to get into some properly fitting skates. I'm now tying my skates so loose, to avoid pain, that i am a wrecking ball on the ice.

Do the "big" retailers still have inventory in most sizes and models, this time of year? My LHS has been telling me the new stuff isn't in yet. I really don't want to drive to 10 different places, wasting everyone's time, including my own.

I'm in northern Maryland, for reference. I've got pure hockey down south, and a place called hockey plus in Harrisburg, which has great reviews. I'm originally from PA, so i can turn a trip to pure hockey in exton into a trip to visit family. Basically, I'm willing to drive to get great fitting skates.

So, do i need to be annoying and call around asking about inventory? Or, do these big hockey shops have tons of leftover stuff? I've never been to a big one...

It all depends on what make, model, and size that you're looking for. Even the major shops don't stock a lot if any EE widths nor Nexus line. If you need a Supreme or Tack in a size 7D, you should be ok but call first before driving. I went to all three Pure Hockey locations in St. Louis and none of them stock wide skates period.

it's not really an easy to answer question. depends on your skate size and how much traffic the stores get so yes call and ask, explain the situation it's worth knowing if its worth the drive

Thanks guys, feeling less crazy about calling places.

I'm around a 10... Roughly.

I'm currently in supreme One.6, from 2012, in 10.5D. They're at least a half size too long, but my big issues are mid-foot width and some minor lacebite. I always thought my feet were long and skinny, but my skates disagree, even after a stretch and punch.

Based on reading, i want to try on some tacks.

It might not hurt to try the Nexus if you're having width and lace bite issues in the Supreme. If whatever shop you head to has a Bauer 3D scanner, take advantage of it.

Don't be shy about calling shops or emailing or instant messaging them on Facebook. I had to contact virtually every shop in North America to finally track down a pair of 12 EE Nexus. Save the time and gas by contacting all the shops in your area before hand.

Try on everything you can and not just what the marketing says is right for your foot. By all descriptions I shouldn't have landed in 70Ks but that is where I ended up after trying a bunch on over a couple of months.

That's my biggest concern. I'm not looking for a certain model and size i know fits. I want to try on everything i can.

I'm guessing the best fit may end up being one of the less "big" models, but in a EE. My supremes crush my mid foot, but a wider heel would probably be a bad idea.

Unfortunately, as said earlier, EE widths are a bit more difficult to come by. I know the two stores I'm working out of (Pure Hockey in Cherry Hill/Sterling, VA) aren't where I'd like to be as far as inventory. It's the time of the year though, as crappy as it is.

Send me a DM, I can take a look and see what we have in either store (or Exton if you prefer).

Pure hockey is actually good about having store availability listed online. Horrible, however, that you can't shop by store from the get go, and have to check item by item, lol.

I'll message you. Sterling had the most inventory of any location i checked.

Jeez Louise...

Successful trip, but i parted with many more dollars than i intended, even getting them about 1/3 off...

I'm a full size smaller than my old skates, now in 9.5 and it feels right. I ended up getting Super Tacks. The only other thing that felt good was a 9.5EE in a Vapor, but it must have been a low end skate because it was too flimsy.

I told the guy i don't exactly mind spending a ton of money on skates, but if i spend a lot and still have killer foot pain, I'll be pissed. He said the store has a not-advertised "unlimited" return policy. So, i pulled the trigger.