Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
SkipSkovhugger

Equipment for beerleague?

Hi guys

I've moved back closer to where I grew up, and they have a beer league type team, that I'm considering joining.
I'm 33 and out of shape xD, I've been skating since I was 5, but I've never played, other than private teambuilding type stuff (my brother was a goalie though, and I grew up skating with him and his teammates).

So to my question, since I have no equipment and the clubs loaner gear is old and heavy (it's 10+ years old), I'm considering getting my own.
But I haven't kept up with gear, and I'm having a hard time separating marketing-bull from actual facts, so I'm hoping for a bit of help here.
Since the league is no contact, all out protection is not a priority, and I do value agility. What entry-mid level equipment should I look out for?

I've always, especially, hated the way hockey pants almost felt like oversized diapers, and really restricted my movement.
But I'm sure things have progressed since the late 90'ies :D

Edited by SkipSkovhugger
  • Like 1

Lots of threads concerning beer league equipment.  Do a search for more in depth talk.  But quickly, imho, if you're playing in a lower level league, you may still want pretty good protection, particularly the shins, pants, elbows, and helmet, since there tends to be more accidental collisions and errant sticks in lower level play.  Most modern equipment provides pretty good protection and mobility.  Check out CCM QLT or if it's still around, the RBZ line (which I think is some of the best equipment in recent memory that had the combo of protection, lightweight, and mobility)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you would prefer a girdle and shell instead of pants. Ccm, Bauer and Warrior all have girdle options. Try on all of them if you can and decide what fits you best. Warrior will be releasing a new one this year.

For elbows, I would look at 3 piece pads like the CCM QLT, upcoming Jetspeeds or the Stx Surgeon 500 pads. If you can find them, the old 2012 grey and blue Warrior Projekt pads are fantastic. Those are all high end pads, but you may be able to find some of them for a midrange price (with the exception of the Jetspeeds since they will be brand new this season). Tron makes a knockoff of the Projekt called Tronx, but I don't know if they are as good. They often go on sale for $38 if you join their email marketing list.

For shoulders, I would seriously look at the Verbero Shield pads. They are adjustable, mobile and modular. You can remove the caps if you choose.

I like the old RBZ line for shins, but you might find something that fits you better. Try on as much as you can and go with what feels best on you.

Edited by althoma1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming you have a decent shop you can go to, I would just try on a bunch of stuff and favor fit and comfort foremost. Pretty much anything you buy would be adequate from the protection standpoint. Though if you think you might be falling a lot, a little more protective elbows and pants in particular would be good.

• Thanks 1

Mid tier stuff will probably do you just fine. But if you're patient, you might be able to find last year's higher end stuff on sale for mid tier prices.

If you haven't found them yet, Modsquad has some of the equipment catalogues for the various manufacturers available for you to download and checkout. The reason I'm suggesting this is that it's a nice resource that you can use to familiarize yourself with what's out there and understand what the heck all the various numbers mean. It's not rocket science, but it's a good reference.

As someone mentioned check out the CCM QLT Quicklite lines and the Bauer Vapor line. These lines are designed with a more form fit to them. No more looking like you dropped a load in your nappy.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Davideo said:

Assuming you have a decent shop you can go to, I would just try on a bunch of stuff and favor fit and comfort foremost. Pretty much anything you buy would be adequate from the protection standpoint. Though if you think you might be falling a lot, a little more protective elbows and pants in particular would be good.

Well, that the thing. We don't really have that many LHS's left here in Denmark. The only stores with a small amount of variety, are usually online ones.
The club has a deal with one of them, so I can get a few bits and pieces at discounted rates, but nothing major.

I'll take a closer look at the QLT stuff for sure.

3 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Mid tier stuff will probably do you just fine. But if you're patient, you might be able to find last year's higher end stuff on sale for mid tier prices.

If you haven't found them yet, Modsquad has some of the equipment catalogues for the various manufacturers available for you to download and checkout. The reason I'm suggesting this is that it's a nice resource that you can use to familiarize yourself with what's out there and understand what the heck all the various numbers mean. It's not rocket science, but it's a good reference.

As someone mentioned check out the CCM QLT Quicklite lines and the Bauer Vapor line. These lines are designed with a more form fit to them. No more looking like you dropped a load in your nappy.

It's those exact catalogues that I'm referring to with the "marketing-bull" part of my post. It does serve as a nice reference though :)
I was more after personal experiences here, as manufacturers can usually be a bit... Creative in their marketing. (Remember the old Nike skates? Lots of hype and high profile players, but there really weren't that great, and heavy too).

But it seems that QLT is what most people suggest, so thanks everyone. I'll continue the hunt.

I would put most of my budget into: skates, gloves, and stick (in that order).

The skates have improved a lot. Ideally find a "last years model" higher end skate with a thermoformable boot. Problem with ordering online is to understand which line to go with (CCM and Bauer have 3 "fits" you really should be sized/fitted for and try out).

New gloves with a more tapered fit can be hard for old-timers to adjust to, but imho are simply better.

A mid-range Bauer Nexus stick, or something with a mid-flex with a common pattern is usually good for someone used to older wood sticks. This is assuming you can shoot.

Honestly for the rest of the stuff I'd just pick up whatever's in your budget and get to playing. If you enjoy it you can always upgrade the elbows, shins, pants as you progress. I wear Nexus pants because I"m used to that old/big fit. As discussed consider a girdle or something like Vapor for a different fit.

21 minutes ago, StinkyPinky said:

The skates have improved a lot. Ideally find a "last years model" higher end skate with a thermoformable boot. Problem with ordering online is to understand which line to go with (CCM and Bauer have 3 "fits" you really should be sized/fitted for and try out).

New gloves with a more tapered fit can be hard for old-timers to adjust to, but imho are simply better.

A mid-range Bauer Nexus stick, or something with a mid-flex with a common pattern is usually good for someone used to older wood sticks. This is assuming you can shoot.

Honestly for the rest of the stuff I'd just pick up whatever's in your budget and get to playing. If you enjoy it you can always upgrade the elbows, shins, pants as you progress. I wear Nexus pants because I"m used to that old/big fit. As discussed consider a girdle or something like Vapor for a different fit.

I have a pair of Mako's, so I need protection and a stick.

I used to play roller hockey, but I really do suck at stick handling, so something remotely similar to my old wooden sticks, seems like a good idea.

Edited by SkipSkovhugger
Danish auto correct

20 hours ago, StinkyPinky said:

I really can’t disagree with that more. It’s a horrible waste of resources.

@SkipSkovhugger

Helmet and cage should be the top priority. You’re gonna fall, probably a lot. Gotta protect the squash. You dont have to spend $300 on a top of the line helmet. You can fine something really good in the mid $100’s. Fit is important.

Pants, Shins & Elbows should be next. Again, no need for top of the line. There are some really good values out there. Keep in mind, a lesser level piece that fits good will protect better than an ill fitting piece of high end gear.

Skates, it’s all about the fit. A decent lower mid range skate will be more than enough. You aren’t buying the last skate you’ll ever own. 

Gloves, Stick & Shoulders, this is where you cheap out. The money you save should go to more important items. 

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

@SkipSkovhugger

Helmet and cage should be the top priority. You’re gonna fall, probably a lot. Gotta protect the squash. You dont have to spend $300 on a top of the line helmet. You can fine something really good in the mid $100’s. Fit is important.

Pants, Shins & Elbows should be next. Again, no need for top of the line. There are some really good values out there. Keep in mind, a lesser level piece that fits good will protect better than an ill fitting piece of high end gear.

Skates, it’s all about the fit. A decent lower mid range skate will be more than enough. You aren’t buying the last skate you’ll ever own. 

Gloves, Stick & Shoulders, this is where you cheap out. The money you save should go to more important items. 

Well, I already had a helmet at the top of my list. I ride mountainbikes from spring till fall, and a helmet is essentially more important than the bike itself. Also, I live off of what's in there, so avoiding head injuries is my top priority (having fun is a close second).

Another thing, I think people didn't get the part about me actually being able to skate. I do not start from scratch 😀. I'm a reasonably proficient skater. And I'm currently in a pair of Mako's that fit really well. So protective gear is what I'm missing.

I've been skating for almost 30 years. Grew up with a bigger brother who was a goalie. And played tag with most of the hockey players at the public sessions each weekend 😊

But getting back to protective gear, I can, with the exception of shin guards, get a full set of CCM QLT 270 gear in my size from online stores, and prices are actually not bad. But as everyone here knows, fit is always and issue when buying online.

Oh and one more thing. Thank you all who've replied, it's rare to see so many, long and informative responses, in this age where people usually flame each other online. You guys are great 😀

1 hour ago, SkipSkovhugger said:

Well, I already had a helmet at the top of my list. I ride mountainbikes from spring till fall, and a helmet is essentially more important than the bike itself. Also, I live off of what's in there, so avoiding head injuries is my top priority (having fun is a close second).

Another thing, I think people didn't get the part about me actually being able to skate. I do not start from scratch 😀. I'm a reasonably proficient skater. And I'm currently in a pair of Mako's that fit really well. So protective gear is what I'm missing.

I've been skating for almost 30 years. Grew up with a bigger brother who was a goalie. And played tag with most of the hockey players at the public sessions each weekend 😊

But getting back to protective gear, I can, with the exception of shin guards, get a full set of CCM QLT 270 gear in my size from online stores, and prices are actually not bad. But as everyone here knows, fit is always and issue when buying online.

Oh and one more thing. Thank you all who've replied, it's rare to see so many, long and informative responses, in this age where people usually flame each other online. You guys are great 😀

That said, my post still applies. Except maybe the bit about falling. :wink:

If beer league in Denmark is anything like beer league in the North East US you can expect a fair amount of contact.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

That said, my post still applies. Except maybe the bit about falling. :wink:

If beer league in Denmark is anything like beer league in the North East US you can expect a fair amount of contact.

It's a no contact, no slapshot league as far as I've understood. So probably nothing like the US 😂

38 minutes ago, SkipSkovhugger said:

It's a no contact, no slapshot league as far as I've understood. So probably nothing like the US 😂

No contact doesn't mean there will be NO contact though ;) It just means no intentional body checking. Keep that in mind!

• Like 1

I've slowly upgraded my beer league equipment from mid-range to the higher end.  I like the features that the higher end stuff has & most (if not all) of it I have gotten at clearance prices. The moisture-wicking, anti-microbial properties are key for me because I sweat a ton & I don't like smelly gear (I air dry it after every game).

NikeBauer XXV shoulders became Warrior AXLT shoulders (clearance purchase)
Bauer One80(or85, I can't remember) shins became Bauer Supreme MX3 (clearance purchase with bonus bucks off as reward points for a vendo - I think I got them for like $32 or something ridiculous like that)
Older Jofa Elbows which I loved but were bulky as all get out became Warrior Franchise (clearance purchase & no I won't sell the Jofas, I enjoy having them for nostalgia purposes)
NikeBauer One95 gloves became Warrior Luxe (both were clearance purchases)
I also picked up some Under Armour hockey long sleeve shirts with the grippy print & 2 compression jocks at a UA Clearance House for cheap too.

The pants I wear now were a pro-stock purchase at full price (Dallas Stars Bauer Nexus - Eric Cole), but I did pick up a $50 pair of Eagle 2-piece Dallas Stars pro-stock pants that I wear every once in a while too.  I get that no one is going to check me into the boards consistently since I play in a non-checking league, but when it happens (or when I wipe out into the ice/boards/something else hard) I enjoy being well protected. The only things I look at now are pro-stock Dallas Stars stuff & sticks.

Edited by LoneStar77

22 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

No contact doesn't mean there will be NO contact though ;) It just means no intentional body checking. Keep that in mind!

Exactly, and the amount and force of accidental contact is inversely proportional to the level of play.

• Like 1

@SkipSkovhugger DBA has some good stuff for cheap, but that mostly helps if you already know what fit you prefer. There usually seems to be pretty good stuff put up for sale there from players who've stopped and hardly used their last set of gear. Where in Denmark are you located?

I like Warrior's lower end shins from this year. They're a great remake of the old Jofa stuff at a good price. Along with CCM's RBZ/QLT, the midrange pieces in the Tacks line are protective and mobile--again, based on proven Jofa designs--and not too expensive. The stuff higher in the line is for if you love fancy foams and whatnot.

Have you tried suspenders with pants? It can make you feel much less encumbered, yet the protection stays with you 100%. Girdles are a good option if you don't like pants, even with suspenders.

I've played in pretty high level Old Boys here, with some retired pros showing up, and things can get more physical than they're supposed to. I've been slew-footed from a defender that stalked me from behind and speared with a high stick to what would have been a direct shot to the teeth if I hadn't been wearing a cage (though that one was accidental). I'd say, don't count on grown boys being level-headed when they try to regain their lost glory in beer league.

• Like 1

Agree with all the comments about things potentially getting rough in "beer league." Accidental collisions, and then people get riled up too. And don't forget- the puck is hard, and sometimes men try to shoot this hard puck very hard, and it does not always just hit the goalie or the back of the net clean. Sometimes that hard hits players and breaks bones. So, I gear up as if I am playing contact, and all of my protective gear has and continues to serve me. 

That being said, if you want to save money on a stick, then the CCM Tacks 5092 for $100 is an insane deal- feels like a high end stick from just a year or 2 ago. 

And pants still feel like diapers. I like the Bauer Supreme and the CCM Super Tacks girdles. Curious to see what Warrior has lined up for this year with their new girdle.

• Like 1

@flip12 I'm in the southern part, will be playing in Vojens.

Thanks for the suggestions, but DBA will not be my go-to place, you never know how stuff there has been treated.
Money really isn't an issue, I just don't want to spend thousands upon thousands, if I don't end up playing after a year.
That's my only reason to go for mid-level stuff :happy: 

Also, this isn't even Old Boys. It's a beginners team for "grownups" :biggrin: (you can look it up at VIK's website, it called "Motion C").
It's just a team for people wanting some exercise, which I'm in dire need of :blush:

@Cosmic

Great, thank you. I'm sure that I won't be able to tell the difference between sticks. So if I get mostly the same from a cheaper product, then thats fantastic.
And I do get that accidents happen, and blocking shots can be dangerous. But it's not like I don't want protective gear, quite the contrary actually.
I just think, that I'll get more "fun" out of it, if I'm able to move properly. 

On 4/18/2018 at 12:37 PM, stick9 said:

@SkipSkovhugger

I play non contact rec league, and when I started 1 year ago I bought the basic Bauer pants, shoulder pads, shin pads and elbow pads. They seem fine, and I have had a couple of very large lads steam into me at full tilt and knock me flying. I have the basic Bauer 4500 helmet, which fits well. I've looked around and there seems to be controversy as to the effectiveness of more expensive helmets compared to cheaper ones from the big names such as Bauer. Most people do say that a good fit is important. I reckon the cheapest sticks (which here are wooden) are best avoided, mid range seem fine. I'd never go without a cage, and mine prevented a slap shot from making contact with my face, all I heard was a loud clang. 

One point to note, wash pads in the washing machine on a cold wash with non bio powder, but do not tumble dry, allow to dry naturally. 

My 2 cents. I finally upgraded a pile of my gear this year, did a lot of research, tried on a lot of different products to get the right stuff for me. 

Helmet - Buy brand new, not used. At least then you know there haven't been any dramatic impacts on the helmet. Whatever is most comfortable. I'll leave the visor vs. cage. vs. nothing debate alone. (I wear a visor). 

Shoulders - You can go fairly cheap here. One step up from the lowest price point should be more than adequate. Lots of stuff on sale. These should last you a long time.

Elbows - Same as Shoulders. You don't need the top end stuff. I'd emphasize something that allows good movement, you don't want something way to bulky and limits mobility.

Pants - The $100-$110 CAD price point to me offers the most value and best balance between protection and mobility. I found anything above this level cost more, added more but somewhat unnecessary protection, at the cost of mobilty. 

Skates - Starting off the price points one or two steps up from the lowest price point should be fine. If you keep playing these won't be your last pair. 

Sticks - Get a good composite one-piece. The best value IMO is pro-stock (if you can find the specs you want) or try to find a stick that is one price point below the top end, but one that is on sale. Even last years stuff if it's on sale. The lowest price point stuff is junk IMO from a performance stand-point. I own a pro-stock CCM Ultra Tacks and picked up a CCM Ribcore XT on sale (it's a low price point stick) for a back-up, same curve. The difference in performance is SIGNIFICANT. 

Gloves - This is an area I would spend some money. The comfort and fit between all the glove options out there is huge. If the gloves you find fit and feel the best cost a bit more than you were looking to spend, buy them. A poorly fit or uncomfortable glove will be noticeable when you play. I literally tried on every make/model/brand of glove last fall in search of a new pair of mitts. And when I put on the pair I eventually bought (Pro Stock CCM 4-roll IIs) I knew immediately they were the right pair for me.

I wouldn't recommend the lowest end glove, just not enough protection IMO. I've seen a few broken hands lately from guys using the lowest end glove. 

• Like 1

The fact that almost every single person has highlighted a different "here is where to spend the most" proves that it's all personal preference. Don't buy the most expensive thing. Don't buy the least expensive thing. Do what makes you happy. You're gonna buy something you love and always return to, and buy something you hate and have to buy a new one of  

If you can, try things on in person and buy what is comfortable. If you can't try things on, find reasonable prices online and pray. 

• Like 4

On 4/25/2018 at 1:49 PM, start_today said:

The fact that almost every single person has highlighted a different "here is where to spend the most" proves that it's all personal preference. Don't buy the most expensive thing. Don't buy the least expensive thing. Do what makes you happy. You're gonna buy something you love and always return to, and buy something you hate and have to buy a new one of  

If you can, try things on in person and buy what is comfortable. If you can't try things on, find reasonable prices online and pray. 

there is a lot of truth to this, but I would say generally, buy mid-range stuff at a minimum. If you're starting out, you usually don't know what you can get away with downgrading, and you'll also benefit greatly from the added protection.

So personally I'd be fine with all midrange stuff, the things I would personally be willing to spend more money on are skates, helmet, pants, gloves, and if I had to, I'd scrimp a little on shoulders, elbows, shins, face.

Good advice here. I agree with all of it.

When I started back up again about 13 years ago, after 15 years off, I went with mostly lower-end gear to get back into it on the cheap. I upgraded stuff over the years to 1 or 2 levels below top-of-the-line. That seems to be the sweet spot for affordability versus utility.

I like top of the line sticks and skates, so I splurge on those things. I have a bad knee, so I bought the shins that allowed me to drop to my knees on a hard floor without pain. There were many that didn't work, including "top of the line" gear such as the RBK 20k shins. I also have had elbow issues when falling backwards onto my elbows. Even with pads, I could get bruises. So again, based on in-store testing, I found which ones worked. They happen to be the top of the tier, but that's just because it was what worked for me.

I usually buy my pads at a LHS. Luckily, there are three within 10 miles of my house, and five within 20 miles. I can usually find stock of what I need or ask them to do a store-to-store transfer (e.g., at Purehockey).

The problem with the cheap stuff, is it's generally the cheap stuff. It's closed cell foam covered by some nylon and maybe you get a piece of hard plastic in there if you're lucky too. It's protective, in that it's more protective than nothing. Some guys like the cheap stuff because it's cheap and light, but again they know what they can get away with cheaping out on. I'm not one of the always-buy-top-of-the-line stuff kind of guy, but the top of the line stuff is among the most protective possible, and is an absolute bargain compared to a medical bill. (assuming it fits)