Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Playmakersedge

BOTAS Hockey Skates - LARGO 571 PRO - FLEX FENDERS TECHNOLOGY

48 minutes ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

QFT

Nah. I was sent a torch/flashlight to review. It was excellent and said so. I was sent another, it was pretty good, so I said so. I was sent a third, and a I thought it was potentially dangerous, so I said so. I was not asked to do any more reviews. :laugh: in all cases I gave the lights away to colleagues, who would use them. I had too many lights already. So it’s not always a blatant case of “wowI got this free, it’s great”. If reviewers are not ‘compliant’, they might not get more items to review, and the review for some is a source of income. That said, wine reviewers with big UK newspapers can be honest because they get paid a salary, and the prestige of the paper means everyone sends them stuff to review. I suspect duff items are just not reviewed. So we might think homely online reviews are more honest, but the reality might be different. 

Edited by Leif

On 29/04/2018 at 4:30 PM, Leif said:

Okay, thanks, appreciated. I’m not sure how my original comment sounded like an attack, it sounded like you were saying Chris does reviews for payment, which was a rather strong statement, so I asked for clarification. I can see that this is a grey area, he clearly has expenses, but I’m not sure I am happy with the idea that he charges you, and others, for a review. In my view, he should not charge you, and he should make the money from people viewing his review. Maybe this is rather idealistic, and not how internet reviews work. :laugh: 

As an aside, I was once sent a pair of binoculars to review. I did the review, which was honest, then asked for the return address. I was told to keep them, so I gave them to a charity shop to sell on. I felt uncomfortable keeping them, as it would indicate corruption, or bias. I know many binocular reviewers are sent on paid trips to nice places to do the review. :blink: Maybe that is the ‘way of the world’. 

I'd just like to confirm, I've previously worked as a camera operator/editor with Chris on a freelance basis for the last 4 years, the first video I produced being for the Sherwood Rekker.

Although I haven't had time to collaborate with him in the last 10 months, I always asked to be paid for my time, like any professional would. So therefore any video production I worked on incurred a fee in order for it to be completed. I've also shot tonnes of reviews for HT over the years, and the question that Chris always asked while I was behind the camera was 'have we covered all sides/arguments?' We would always do our best to ensure that it was non-bias and those watching received the best information possible to make an informed decision on whether it was, or wasn't for them. If we felt it was too one sided towards just the positives, we'd reshoot.

Sorry to hear your top gear video didn't go as planned OldTrainerGuy28! I would've loved to have been there to help bring that idea to life! YouTube views don't equate to a fee for every view, there are a lot of factors to take into consideration :) hope this helps!

• Like 2

Hello,

Has anyone other than the original poster had a chance to skate these or see them in person and can comment on fit, volume, quality etc.?  I'm seriously considering taking a chance and ordering a pair as I'm not having any luck finding high end skates for my size 14US feet.  I'm aware of the custom route, but in Canada that option is really pricey. 

Thanks for your time,

Mike

My understanding with custom skates is you buy before you try and no returns.  At least these Bota's would be returnable, so less of a risk.  Anybody else had a chance to either try or put hands and eyes on these?

Thanks,

Mike 

So I ordered these awhile back to see if I'd get lucky.  The fit and finish was surprisingly good, but they were really soft when squeezing the sides together.  They also run really wide and the tongue isn't thick enough to provide much protection from pucks or lace bite.  Removing the foot bed they didn't have the pre-drilled holes that skates with the Tuck Custom + holders came with.  I'd still recommend the skates for beginner to intermediate rec skaters and occasional hockey players or people with size 14+ feet just looking for a reasonable rec skate.  I sent my pair back as they were too wide and soft for my level of play.  

Hope this helps for anybody considering these,

Mike

Guys in Botas factory were in 90' made your ccm, Bauer, Jofa, Koho, Jackson, Riedell, Graf skates. Before they move production to China, Bangladesh.....Also Maradona played in Puma made in Batas factory. They made for Salomon too. A have Botas cross-country/nordic skiing boots and they are perfect and not made in Asia like a Fischer etc. boots. Now I'm considering to buy skates from them. You don't know, what you are speaking about. Great nordic skiing boots are also Slovene Alpina, definitely better than Rossignol.