Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
60PlusWinger

Anyone here planning on getting a 2N Stick?

The 2N PRO shown on the Bauer sticks instagram site in the most recent post - is that a 2N Pro limited edition stick, or is the appearance of an all blue chrome stick just for “visual effects”? I’m thinking it’s the latter but just trying to see in case it actually is an LE.....

Ok I admit I'm a gram-whore and almost always will go with the lightest gear I can find. Yes, I like my stick/pads/helmet as light as possible and yes I work hard for my money and am willing to pay for it. With that said, I certainly do not just go for what's the latest and greatest (I still use a Bauer Supreme NXG stick and Bauer XXX skates and an old ass E700). And I'd be the first one to preach to my kids that it's the Indian and not the arrows... However, I do buy my Bantam major kid top of the line sticks (currently using Warrior QRE and Alpha QX, which is actually not the lightest but feels great to him) because his skills and hard work has proved that he's worthy of using such hi-end equipment.

The reason I'm also bringing this up is that I forgot to bring my stick to sticktime the other day and I had to borrow some random stick at the rink. IIRC it was a Vapor X700, comparable to the length of my NXG but good lord, that stick felt like it was made of cement. Probably weights about 475+g and felt like the heavy piece of sh*t that it was. After sticktime, all I can say is that I'm glad I go for sub-425 gram sticks because I just can't F with heavy sticks, I just cant... unless it's a Sherwood 7030 (Coffee of course) of which I used growing up. 7030, those I can F with all day, every day.

I second the light gear, skates and sticks especially. I really feel the weight of a stick when stickhandling. I actually train with an old stick filled with sand. It makes it absurdly heavy and if mantle helps with wristers and snapshots, but if I pick up my bpm 150 after using it to stickhandle I IMMEDIATLY feel like a pro (of course I’m not though).

If I may weigh in:

At some point the stick weight follows the rule of diminishing returns. I had guys on the bench holding up my stick and theirs always claiming their new one is lighter... I honestly can't tell the difference of less than 100 grams. No way. There is a point where a stick is "lightweight" for your average adult male and making it lighter is a marketing ploy.

I'm in the gym pressing, pulling, and lifting tens and hundreds of kilos... a 30g lighter stick is not gonna matter to me sorry. There is an argument that adding X% strength is going to benefit just as much as reducing X% weight. Point: I can see stick weight mattering more for younger, smaller, and weaker players. (or rather the definition of the "lightweight" range dropping)

Looking at running shoes you have sub-200g shoes out there, but folks are winning marathons in 200g+ shoes. The actual tech is more important than the weight once it's down around 200g. Nike Breaking2 project used 200g shoes with special tech although they sell shoes down to 160g.

Took probably 100 shots with one of the 2NPro pro stock sticks that showed up today. I’ve used everything under the sun including every top of the line Nexus stick. The sticks is perfectly light, when I say that I mean it’s not awkwardly over light like the ADV but not a brick either. The puck feel is fantastic, reminds me of the 1X blade actually, slightly less fragile feeling. Shots punch hard and flex point is smooth. Super impressed. Haven’t been with Bauer since the 1st gen 1N.

On 9/24/2018 at 10:47 AM, jeffg said:

Not a fan of really light sticks  I found I like a balanced stick in the 425 gram range

Lol seriously?

Edited by Neo5370
  • Like 2

On 9/24/2018 at 10:47 AM, jeffg said:

Anyone know how the 2n plays in comparison?  Not a fan of really light sticks  I found I like a balanced stick in the 425gram range

That is what I am curious about, how the 2N plays in comparison. Second hand / pro stock market isn't flush with the 2N pro yet but the 70 flex seems the perfect match for me. 

I picked up a 70 flex 2N (cut down to make it about 75-78 flex) and absolutely hated it. Super dampened puck feel. I have a first gen True XCore 9 which is way more lively in comparison - and when I first used the XCore 9 I found that a bit dampened for my preferences so the 2N is way more dampened than that. For some reason the flex profile on the 70 flex stick also feels different/weird/not good compared to all the other flexes on the line. Not sure what to make of that. If you like a dampened puck feel and have trouble loading a stick then you may like this stick. Just didn't jive with my preferences. 

25 minutes ago, 60PlusWinger said:

I disagree with dampened and or super dampened. I’ve used every top tier Nexus stick and this is like a step down from a 1X. 

Buddy... I'm talking about the 2N, not the 2N Pro..