Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
EvilPepe

Coaching Tools and Technology

Howdy folks.

So, I chose to title this pretty broadly as it might lead to a more productive discussion and eventual resource for others. If a mod disagrees, I can change the title (can I? Maybe you can instead?).

I primarily work with goalies, and like to make use of a tablet for immediate video feedback. The problem is, the camera's on tablets are generally crap unless you spend a decent amount of money (and risk a greater loss when the inevitable puck/body catches it). Does anyone else use some sort of video/screen set up on the ice or bench during practice and have any suggestions for something that A) can produce adequate video for viewing immediately, and B) doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks.

coaches’ eye and hudl technique are two iPad apps Ive used. both have a good slowmo feature that lets you breakdown details, telestrate and record your feedback

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 10013005 said:

coaches’ eye and hudl technique are two iPad apps Ive used. both have a good slowmo feature that lets you breakdown details, telestrate and record your feedback

as for the breakage issue - you can either have your iPad safe on the bench and record with a wifi connected gopro in its protective case, or have a helper (maybe another student whose parents need a bit of financial help with lessons?) hold your tablet to film

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 10013005 said:

as for the breakage issue - you can either have your iPad safe on the bench and record with a wifi connected gopro in its protective case, or have a helper (maybe another student whose parents need a bit of financial help with lessons?) hold your tablet to film

That's what I've been thinking about lately - a GoPro with wifi. The challenge would be that the primary rink I coach at has a very poor network. To date I've been using a budget samsung tablet on a tripod and hoping for the best.

8 hours ago, EvilPepe said:

That's what I've been thinking about lately - a GoPro with wifi. The challenge would be that the primary rink I coach at has a very poor network. To date I've been using a budget samsung tablet on a tripod and hoping for the best.

rink wifi is not a factor. the gopro itself has a wifi network you can log into on your tablet 

• Like 1

On the subject of technology....

I'm just wondering what other coaches think of the various computer based drill designing tools out there...and, if you use them, how you've integrated them into your coaching.

Any DrillDraw guys?  What about HockeyShare?  Or, HockeyCoachVision?  

Personally, I see much value in being able to bring technology to the ice - particularly if it allows us to more efficiently (and effectively) utilize precious ice time.  However, there are obvious limitations with these packages, such as limited screen size, the relatively large amount of time invested in learning to effectively use the tools, and the difficulty in determining whether our practices are actually "BETTER" once we start using them.  

Anyway.  Figure this is a good a place as any to discuss this, so let's have at it.......

On 4/30/2018 at 7:52 AM, 10013005 said:

rink wifi is not a factor. the gopro itself has a wifi network you can log into on your tablet 

AHHH interesting. I didn't think it broadcast its own network. That is certainly more viable, then. Thanks!

If you're trying to get live/real-time video feedback, it sounds like the Gopro option is a good one. As for video analysis/services, we've been using Krossover. Unlimited storage and good telestration tools. Their paid breakdown service is pretty good and not too expensive.

www.krossover.com

On 5/3/2018 at 3:03 PM, Santos L Halper said:

On the subject of technology....

I'm just wondering what other coaches think of the various computer based drill designing tools out there...and, if you use them, how you've integrated them into your coaching.

Any DrillDraw guys?  What about HockeyShare?  Or, HockeyCoachVision?  

Personally, I see much value in being able to bring technology to the ice - particularly if it allows us to more efficiently (and effectively) utilize precious ice time.  However, there are obvious limitations with these packages, such as limited screen size, the relatively large amount of time invested in learning to effectively use the tools, and the difficulty in determining whether our practices are actually "BETTER" once we start using them.  

Anyway.  Figure this is a good a place as any to discuss this, so let's have at it.......

I've struggled to get that technology on the ice. Always preferred a white board as it's larger and you can just draw and adapt as the team needs in the moment. I do like these products for planning and distributing in advance so players can come prepared. CoachThem looks like another interesting one, although I haven't used it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PGHJME said:

I've struggled to get that technology on the ice. Always preferred a white board as it's larger and you can just draw and adapt as the team needs in the moment. I do like these products for planning and distributing in advance so players can come prepared. CoachThem looks like another interesting one, although I haven't used it.

*nods*  Yep. In the end, I generally wind up back on the whiteboard as well.  

However, it just feels so....antiquated to me.  A spaghetti dinner's worth of lines going every which way, erasing errant scribbles with the sleeve of your track-suit, no way to show players how it looks when everything is in motion - not to mention the fact that, depending on the age of the players involved, up to half (or more!) of them aren't paying attention to a whiteboard at a given moment.  

When I see the animations that can be done (particularly in HockeyCoachVision), I start to fantasize about mounting a 42" TV on a mobile cart, wheeling it out to the corner adjacent to one of the players' benches, and pulling it right up against the glass.  Then, I'd pass cables through a hole in the "non ice" wall of the player's bench and have not only a huge screen, but also the ability to use my dry erase markers on the glass to emphasize a particular point. 

Unfortunately, still a pipe dream at this point....

Anyway.  I agree that these tools are great for sharing with assistant coaches and (depending on ages, of course), players.  I love it when everyone shows up at the rink prepared!

Edited by Santos L Halper
Clarity

last week at a camp I used an ipad connected to an apple tv + flatscreen TV located behind the glass in the timekeeper s box. worked great.

Edited by 10013005
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, krizzy123 said:

Is it also available in android devices? Or is this application is only for Ipad? Do you have any suggestions for samsung phones or Tablets?

You can get those and others on android, just search in the play store. For example I've used CoachNow on a Nokia Sirrocco  phone and the slow mo is good at 8:1, you can add feedback etc and then post to the space or group or player you are working with. If you want to clip the vid I use Lightworks on a pc and then can post to a lot of different media, it's free and does just about everything you would ever want to do when editing.