Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Andy S

Best shoulder pads for protection?

I’m in my mid 40s and started playing again about a year and a half ago after a long hiatus. After two rib injuries in the past six months, I’m looking to upgrade my shoulder pads (CCM Supra M-SP4 that I’ve had since college). Both times I injured myself from falls after overextending on the play, catching an edge, and hitting flat on the ice (I still play somewhat aggressive, even for non-check/one step up from beer league). I’m 6’, 210 lbs and playing hockey again has been the best decision all around. But I don’t heal like I did in my 20s and I need something that will provide enough protection to let me continue to play on the aggressive side, but not screw myself up. This past injury had me sidelined almost two months and it’s killing me not being able to play or even stay in shape.

Honestly, I have no idea where to begin in picking out new pads even after watching reviews on YouTube and searches online. For example, what’s better Warrior AX1 or QX3 in terms of protection? I have no clue. How do different brands compare in terms of protection (CCM, Bauer, or Warrior)? I have no idea. I’m not worried about cost, I’d rather spend a little more cash than lose ice time to bruised ribs again (or other injury). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. If it matters, I’ve never been a big goal scorer (I have hands of stone). But I’m a solid skater and smart player whose almost never out of position. I mostly play RW and am more of a shutdown/grinder who ties opponents up/forces turnovers and sets up our better guys.  This means that invariably I take a tumble or two every game when I’m beaten by a player 10-20 years younger than me. And no, I cannot dial it down a notch, that goes out the window as soon as the puck drops.

A lot of the pros, even in 2018 are still rocking Jofa-derived Reebok pads. You can find the pro stock models on Ebay and Sideline Swap. I have a pair of the 7k, I believe and they're fantastic. If it's heavy duty enough for them, it certainly will be for you.

Injury is the bodys way of telling you to dial it back. It’s very hard to play that way at that age and with that length of lay off.

Id say, if you want to play that way you might be looking for a gym/workout routine, not more protection.

Not trying to be jerky even though it probably sounds that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy S said:

After two rib injuries in the past six months, I’m looking to upgrade my shoulder pads.... Both times I injured myself from falls after overextending on the play, catching an edge, and hitting flat on the ice

I honestly don't know if any pair of shoulder pads would have offered any more protection against an injury like that. Just like a pair of shinpads won't protect you from blowing out a knee, shoulder pads can only do so much. They're primarily engineered to protect lateral hits to the shoulder, and to a lesser degree, frontal impacts to the chest (sternum). The back is usually an afterthought, as are the arm pads and stomach pad, if there even is one.

Having said that, you want protective shoulder pad recs - Last time I went shopping I was impressed with the Bauer Nexus line, looked a lot more protective than the Supreme and Vapor lines, especially in the shoulders. All the major brands are going to offer protective stuff up and down their lineup, if you go for the most expensive stuff you'll get the benefit of high tech fabrics for heat and moisture management, and a much better level of foam. 

Yeah, not to pile on or be a wise-ass, but shoulder pads primarily protect your shoulders. Maybe chest and back depending on the model. You could look into padded shirts that might have extra rib and side padding. 

Kinda sounds like you might need to work on some stretches and maybe core strengthening. That has really helped with my hip and knee and groin issues. 

The CCM CLs were nice but lacked some back protection.

I have no major complaints with CCM RBZ, really light albeit a bit hot at times. I heard the newer version has better venting. Back protection is good. I tried the 1X pads but they were just too bulky.

Check out any of the higher end CCM Tacks stuff.  Super protective whilst still being light.  Or if you get the chance any of the Reebok (or rebranded CCM) 20K still is bombproof.  Might not protect you against the injuries that you talked about, but definitely the best in terms of protection today.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll keep the core training in mine. I decided to go with a pair of higher end CCM Tacks.

With both impacts, it was the old buckle on the CCM M-SP4 pads that really punched in with impact. First time it was just a bit sort for a few weeks (i.e. kept playing, no bit deal, healed fine). With the second (other side) it was really sore for about a week, then the day before my next game I was bending down towards that side to pick something up and I felt a pop. It was a bit more back then where the impact had been -hurt like hell. Well, stupid me tried to play on it the following night and that really screwed everything up (i.e. whole rib area really painful just to lie down, twist, etc.). Nothing broken, slow to heal. Just started riding stationary bike last week, which was fine. Tried a light jog, but impact with the ground made it a bit sore afterwards. Getting old sucks. lol

You could try one of these padded shirts, designed for extra rib protection. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, think about if it's not your body that's the issue. I'm about the same age as you, and I recently realized that over the years, I had lost a lot of flexibility. Specifically, I had super tight hips, which is really common for hockey players.

Now, you may be asking, "What the heck do hips have to do with ribs?" Well, it's all connected. my tight hips, were causing my should and rib issues. The tight hips were pulling down on the muscles above and stuff was getting misaligned and stressed. On my right side, if I twisted and leaned to my left, I could hear stuff crackling around my ribs, and if there was a pop, I'd get pain. Over the years I've had lots of pulls and strains there.

A few months ago, I figured it out and started stretching my hips and stuff around the torso, and slowly but surly, it felt like I was shedding years off. All my neck, shoulder, rib, and back issues slowly faded. They still get tight, a lot of times after a game, but they now go away after a short stretch. Something to consider. Have you ever seen a physiotherapist?

Any way my 2 cents. It's worth what you paid.

https://www.purehockey.com/product/Code_1_Padded_Shirt_(2017)/itm/26794-41/?mtx_id=0

img.aspx?pic_id=105305&pic_type=4

• Like 1

I recently upgraded my pads to top of the line ones after a fall on my coccyx left me in agony. However, what surprised me is that even top of the line Bauer shoulder pads seem not to offer much more protection that entry level ones, there’s a better sternum pad, pads above the top of the arms and shoulders and some soft foam around the ribs. If you want better protection, your best bet is something with D3O or similar. Here is an example:

http://www.xionpg.com/xionpg-shop/jackets/xion-short-sleeve-jacket-pro-d3o.html

This is similar stuff albeit not so shock absorbent in my experience:

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/product/ex-k-harness-flite/2441

The above are used by motor cyclists and stunt men/women. D3O is a pliable plastic with remarkable shock absorbing capacity. I have a pair of padded shorts for public skating with a D3O coccyx pad. Previously a fall on my rear would leave me in pain for ten minutes or worse. Now a fall still hurts, but after a minute I carry on as if nothing had happened. It really does prevent serious injury. Note that smart cheaper foams such as EVA are nowhere near as good. I wish D3O was more widely used in hockey gear, but it’s expensive. From what I have seen CCM only use small pieces of it.