Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
FlyChicaga

Foot Pain - Skate Punching?

I bought Bauer 1S skates a few months ago after doing the Bauer 3D scan, which down the line told me I should be in the Supreme line (I wore Vapor prior, but was getting pain in my forefoot). After ditching my Vapor skates, I was in CCM 70K, which were SUPER comfortable, but I felt some movement in the heel which I didn't like. I also didn't feel like I had the responsiveness that I do in the 1S. I love these 1S... my skating and maneuverability have improved immensely. However, I'm getting a lot of pain on my right foot in the ball of the foot every time I skate. I do not get this pain in the left side at all. The pain then travels to the center of my foot. By the end of a two-hour skate session, it hurts to turn and stop on that foot.

Since I'm not getting any semblance of pain in the left foot from these skates, I don't believe I'm in the wrong skate, or the wrong size. These skates actually feel like they fit like a glove. Would getting the right skate punched in the forefoot help alleviate this problem? I'm cautious about doing anything to the skate that cannot be reversed. If I get them punched and it doesn't solve the problem, any suggestions what might be wrong? Thanks.

Before you do anything, try wearing thinner socks. See if that helps. If you already do that, try skating without the insole or replace the insole with one from a pair of runners. This is just for diagnosing. I wouldn't recommend skating in a game with no insole. 

If it's a room issue, the pain should subside or go away. Our feet aren't symmetrical. One foot is often slightly larger than the other, so a perfect fit on one skate may not be perfect on the other.

If the pain doesn't subside, it may be a sign it's something else. And maybe start with a rebake before considering punching.

With new skates, I always have to fiddle with the right skate  

it could also be a right foot issue. was talking with a former echl player who had problems with bone spurs. he said a lot of the pain went away after getting massge on the bottom of his foot to relax the muscles thereby making his foot sit differently in the boot. those muscles work hard when you skate so rolling them out or massaging them by hand before and after might help.

I wouldn’t recommend skating without a footbed.

Your right foot may be a little wider than the left. The thinner sock might do the trick. You could always do a second bake and see if that helps. After that maybe a slight stretch or even a punch. Make sure the shop doing the work has experience doing these things.

1 hour ago, puckpilot said:

Before you do anything, try wearing thinner socks. See if that helps. If you already do that, try skating without the insole or replace the insole with one from a pair of runners. This is just for diagnosing. I wouldn't recommend skating in a game with no insole. 

If it's a room issue, the pain should subside or go away. Our feet aren't symmetrical. One foot is often slightly larger than the other, so a perfect fit on one skate may not be perfect on the other.

If the pain doesn't subside, it may be a sign it's something else. And maybe start with a rebake before considering punching.

With new skates, I always have to fiddle with the right skate  

I would also agree, try a thinner sock. Can you take a picture of your foot showing exactly where you are feeling pain? Also, if you could take a picture of your foot on the footbed it would help too. Thanks! 

@OP.  You would be surprised how different your feet can be.  I wear Trues, cause my left foot is almost a full size smaller than my right foot.  I first would try what others said...try a thinner sock.  If that doesn't work, try a different footbed.  If you're still having a problem then, have the boot rebaked.  And if that doesn't work, then try stretching the boot.

I am using fairly thin socks (Bauer 37.5), and Superfeet Carbon insoles. I’ll try to upload pictures. I may see if my LHS can re bake my right skate. I didn’t like the Bauer Speed plates nor the regular footbeds; any other suggestions besides Superfeet for good insoles?

CCM's Orthomove insole looks intriguing.  However it's new so I don't know that there's any feedback out there on them yet.

Look at your foot after you take the skate off after a 2 hour session. If you have really red areas on the inside and or outside of the forefoot then that is a good indication the skate is too narrow for you. But if you getting the pain under your foot then it is unlikely it is width however pain can transfer depending on what is affected. A good examination of your foot after a skate could go a long way to working out what is causing the issue. Something somewhere should show irritation.

5 hours ago, mojo122 said:

CCM's Orthomove insole looks intriguing.  However it's new so I don't know that there's any feedback out there on them yet.

I've used them and hated them. Felt like Superfeet which I am not a fan of. I am a huge advocate of the previous generation CCM insoles and the Bauer speedplate.

Even though you don’t like speed plates, you might want to try them again since you already have some, and see if they remove the pain. Superfeet lift your heel, changing the depth of the skate, and the arch support is one size fits all. It is possible the arch support is the issue. If you rebake one skate, it might be worth standing up while it cools, to spread the feet more. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leif said:

Even though you don’t like speed plates, you might want to try them again since you already have some, and see if they remove the pain. Superfeet lift your heel, changing the depth of the skate, and the arch support is one size fits all. It is possible the arch support is the issue. If you rebake one skate, it might be worth standing up while it cools, to spread the feet more. 

I also agree with this. 

• Like 1

Do you subconsciously curl your toes inside the skate when you skate? I ask because what you describe sounds more to me like a muscle/tendon issue than a volume issue. 

Not sure what the fix for that may be, possibly powerfoot inserts? I think you have a few options to try to diagnose the problem before you resort to punching.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:49 PM, mojo122 said:

The ones we have sold have not had good reviews from customers. 

Funny someone mentioned subconsciously curling toes inside skates. I used to do that all the time and eventually put foam in the toe to force my toes down. This was before they had things like PowerFoot available. I just used some high-density foam. Ever since I think any skate I test feels weird without having that padding forcing my toes flat. 

Edited by Nicholas G

15 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Funny someone mentioned subconsciously curling toes inside skates. I used to do that all the time and eventually put foam in the toe to force my toes down. This was before they had things like PowerFoot available. I just used some high-density foam. Ever since I think any skate I test feels weird without having that padding forcing my toes flat. 

I used to curl my toes when I started doing edge drills, but as a I got better, I stopped doing it. I suspect it was because my balance was poor, and I was trying to cling onto the skates. I’m not saying that is why other people curl their toes, there may be many reasons. 

I did buy powerfeet, but gradually came to the conclusion that in my case they were psychological and not needed. I also thought they were expensive for two little bits of foam that sucked up sweat. 

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to try rolling out my feet before and after a skate, to see if maybe it's not a skate issue, but a foot issue. I currently use Powerfeet inserts, and have for over a year. Not only do I like how it pushes my toes down, it's also more comfortable when I inevitably take shots off the front of my skate (I play D).

As a follow up... I really just couldn't take the pain anymore, so I spent $5 and had my skates stretched at my LHS. I was a little concerned when I got my right skate back as it was noticeably larger than it was previous. However, on the ice I am not experiencing the same pain as I was before. The skate feels a little more "roomy," so it is going to take a few skates to get used to. My foot still is planted and secured, but it isn't as tight as it was before so I felt a bit unsure at first. All things considered I'm happy I had them stretched... I'm not a pro player and I'm getting older, so any small decrease in performance is OK as long as I can walk comfortably the following day after a game.

• Like 1