Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Karly14

263 holder on a size 6

I realize this topic isn’t going to encourage a lot of lively discussion, but could one of the local skate experts let me know if a 263 holder/blade works on a size 6 skate?  It’s a Bauer nexus/tukk if that’s relevant. Thanks! 

Not a skate expert and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, however...

254 is what comes on a Bauer skate in size 6 and 6.5.  263 comes on 6.5 EE skates.

263 is what comes on a CCM skate in both 6 and 6.5.

Edited by JunkyardAthletic
  • Like 1

Thanks, Junkyard! Helpful - I didn’t know 6.5 EE came on a 263. That’s promising (I hope).

I’ve just gone down a full size in skates, and while the boot feels great, the 254 feels really unstable after skating on a 263 for fifteen years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karly14 said:

Thanks, Junkyard! Helpful - I didn’t know 6.5 EE came on a 263. That’s promising (I hope).

I’ve just gone down a full size in skates, and while the boot feels great, the 254 feels really unstable after skating on a 263 for fifteen years.

I went down a half size last time I got new skates. To help with stability I profiled my skates to a larger radius. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Karly14 said:

Get them profiled. It will change things dramatically. We do profiling at the shop I own and everyone is blown away with the significance of change after the steel is profiled. 

• Like 2

Another vote for profiling. It’s quick, it’s easy and there are tons of options. 

There’s a good deal of info here on profiling. Use the search function and read through some of it.

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone. Massive help!  Definitely going to read up on a longer radius profiling... I hadn't thought of profiling as a possible solution. 

A bit more context for JR (if he's able to reply) - As mentioned, the 254 feels less stable in that my body weight doesn't feel properly distributed on the blades, but I also feel like I'm not able to generate the same power in my straight ahead stride or turns/crossovers.  I feel like the shorter blade increases the number of strides I have to take, making my skating less efficient and more tiring than it was on a 263.  Maybe this also sounds like something that could be remedied by a profiling?  Oh, it's also worth mentioning that I first thought it would just take a minute to get used to it, but I've been on a 254 for a few months now and I'm not really adapting.

Thanks again, everyone.  Every time I have a question on this site the quality responses remind me why I've been a member since the Corebeam days (when I wore a Vapor 10 on a 263)...

Edited by Karly14

Really depends on the skater.  Sometimes it's remedied with a profile, but then again, sometimes you just want all that extra 9 mm under your feet.

Do keep in mind that if he's never had them profiled, then he's probably on the latter side of that statement.  I would try a longer radius first, and if that still feels weird, by all means, go oversized. I'd give the longer profile a chance first.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Really depends on the skater.  Sometimes it's remedied with a profile, but then again, sometimes you just want all that extra 9 mm under your feet.

Do keep in mind that if he's never had them profiled, then he's probably on the latter side of that statement.  I would try a longer radius first, and if that still feels weird, by all means, go oversized. I'd give the longer profile a chance first.

Terrific. Thanks, JR. 

I'm going to follow this advice and get them profiled tonight.  I used to profile, but break a lot of blades, so decided to get accustomed to stock.

If it stills feels off, I'll get the longer holders, which I'm relieved to learn is an option on a 6.  I'll check back in with an update.  You all rule.

22 hours ago, Karly14 said:

Thanks, everyone. Massive help!  Definitely going to read up on a longer radius profiling... I hadn't thought of profiling as a possible solution. 

A bit more context for JR (if he's able to reply) - As mentioned, the 254 feels less stable in that my body weight doesn't feel properly distributed on the blades, but I also feel like I'm not able to generate the same power in my straight ahead stride or turns/crossovers.  I feel like the shorter blade increases the number of strides I have to take, making my skating less efficient and more tiring than it was on a 263.  Maybe this also sounds like something that could be remedied by a profiling?  Oh, it's also worth mentioning that I first thought it would just take a minute to get used to it, but I've been on a 254 for a few months now and I'm not really adapting.

Thanks again, everyone.  Every time I have a question on this site the quality responses remind me why I've been a member since the Corebeam days (when I wore a Vapor 10 on a 263)...

Everything you mention can be corrected with the proper profile. I've switched from 272 to 263 and even used 254 before finding that 263 was a good length for me. Once profiled it provided a perfect balance of weight and blade contact on the ice. But for full disclosure, I have a ProSharp machine so I have access to try various things such as different profiles, changing the center of gravity and altering pitch. I like to watch people skate before making any recommendations about what we should adjust. Then, when we start, changes are made in increments. Too many changes at once and it makes it nearly impossible to determine what was good and what was bad. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

Everything you mention can be corrected with the proper profile. I've switched from 272 to 263 and even used 254 before finding that 263 was a good length for me. Once profiled it provided a perfect balance of weight and blade contact on the ice. But for full disclosure, I have a ProSharp machine so I have access to try various things such as different profiles, changing the center of gravity and altering pitch. I like to watch people skate before making any recommendations about what we should adjust. Then, when we start, changes are made in increments. Too many changes at once and it makes it nearly impossible to determine what was good and what was bad. 

Interesting.  I think you bring up something important for my situation -- there are a lot of the big box hockey/sports stores in my area, but sadly, the one person in the region I'd really trust to profile with care and attention recently passed away.  If it's going to be a finicky thing, maybe it would just be easier to go to the longer holder.  Thanks, Nicholas!

@Karly14 there are a number of places that will profile via mail. I know of at least 3 in the North East alone. Not sure if that’s something you’d consider doing. Thought it was worth mentioning

On 5/12/2018 at 8:02 PM, Karly14 said:

I realize this topic isn’t going to encourage a lot of lively discussion

Clearly you haven't been here long. This is exactly the kind of subject that these gear nerds eat up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Karly14 said:

Interesting.  I think you bring up something important for my situation -- there are a lot of the big box hockey/sports stores in my area, but sadly, the one person in the region I'd really trust to profile with care and attention recently passed away.  If it's going to be a finicky thing, maybe it would just be easier to go to the longer holder.  Thanks, Nicholas!

What region are you in? 

On 5/13/2018 at 2:18 PM, Karly14 said:

15 hours ago, DRR said:

Clearly you haven't been here long. This is exactly the kind of subject that these gear nerds eat up.

He signed up in May 2004.  If you're counting Corebeam, we're looking at 18 years. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

He signed up in May 2004.  If you're counting Corebeam, we're looking at 18 years. :)

Dating myself, but I fondly remember the switch from Corebeam to Modsquad!

I may be getting my timelines a bit mixed up, but I recall working at a shop back in 2003/2004 and going to a Mission product demo... I believe they were pushing the Purefly skate at the time, and the rep (an older stout dude) said: "There's this new website where a bunch of demented people talk all day long about hockey equipment, and they love this skate!"

Being one of those "demented people," I laughed.  And hey, we were right -- the Purefly was legitimately a great skate.

Nicholas G: I'm in Ottawa, Ontario.  I might just risk it and try Pro Hockey Life for the profile (I know, I know).  If it doesn't work out, I'll move to 263.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Karly14 said:

Dating myself, but I fondly remember the switch from Corebeam to Modsquad!

I may be getting my timelines a bit mixed up, but I recall working at a shop back in 2003/2004 and going to a Mission product demo... I believe they were pushing the Purefly skate at the time, and the rep (an older stout dude) said: "There's this new website where a bunch of demented people talk all day long about hockey equipment, and they love this skate!"

Being one of those "demented people," I laughed.  And hey, we were right -- the Purefly was legitimately a great skate.

Nicholas G: I'm in Ottawa, Ontario.  I might just risk it and try Pro Hockey Life for the profile (I know, I know).  If it doesn't work out, I'll move to 263.

There is usually a few good pro shop people at each PHL. Problem is learning who they are, profiles aren't hard to do but if the person doesn't care than your obviously SOL.

• Like 1

Update:

Once JR mentioned that PHLs have Prosharp machines, I decided to go have the larger profile done. I shouldn't have subtly criticized PHL because the person who handled my skates was totally knowledgeable, passionate and competent.  I had a couple of bad experiences there a few years ago but this time was totally different. Great experience.   

I believe he gave my skates a 10/14 radius (could be getting this wrong).  In any case, they felt excellent right from the hop.  I've skated three times, and all issues seem to be remedied. I feel more balanced, have more power in my stride, and edgework/tight turns haven't been impacted at all.

Problem solved thanks to all the informed people in this thread. @JR Boucicaut @puckpilot @Nicholas G @JunkyardAthletic @Hills @stick9

Hugely appreciated, MSH.

• Like 4