Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
adams2001

Soft Ice Hollow Question

Don't know if OP is still following this topic, but, if possible, I'd recommend giving FBV/Fire sharpening a shot and seeing what you think.

The major issue with soft ice is that, instead of gliding on top, your blades tend to sink into the ice - a situation basically tailor-made for FBV/Fire sharpening to remedy.  That said, if you're used to a ROH sharpening, it may take a week (or more...) to get used to a FBV/Fire sharpening (it's initially disconcerting to be standing on flat blades and not 'feel' your edges); so I wouldn't recommend just jumping out for your next summer league game with a FBV if you've never tried it before.  

(N.B.  I live in Southern California and we ALWAYS have soft ice - in fact, it's usually bordering on sno-cone in the summer, given the heat and humidity out here.  As such, I have encouraged everyone that I sharpen for to at least TRY a Fire Ring sharpening from my Sparx.  Definitely not a scientific study, but I'd say that 85% of those that have tried it have moved exclusively to Fire Rings...and most of the other 15% do so during the summer slush season...)

This topic made me wonder if I should have different sharpenings for hockey and public skating, given that the hockey kit weighs a ton! Which then raises the question of which holders are best for regular blade changes, in terms of reliability I.e. not falling apart. 

8 hours ago, Leif said:

This topic made me wonder if I should have different sharpenings for hockey and public skating, given that the hockey kit weighs a ton! Which then raises the question of which holders are best for regular blade changes, in terms of reliability I.e. not falling apart. 

To first part. I would say no. Why bother forcing yourself to adjust to different hollows. Yeah, sure your gear adds some weight, but you aren’t skating in the same manner when public skating. 

The second part. Bauer edge has to be the easiest. Hard to beat pulling on the trigger to release the steel from the holder.

Bauer edge with step steel all the way man. I personally was not a fan of the SB4.0+.

Plus, you can pull the runner off the edge easily to make sure you get a sharpening not effected by the holder possibly bending the runner. SB4.0 you have to apply thread locker everytime you pull the runner and make sure its dry before you hit the ice (Ive had a screw back out).