Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Dangles83

Wrist Support

I have injured both my wrists in the past and it has left me with some permanent damage; essentially my wrists aren't nearly as strong as they used to be and are often sore. I am looking for a compression wrap to help support them when playing. Has anyone had any experience? I was looking at the Shock Doctor 822, but that actually looks a bit bulky and like it may interfere with my glove. I was also looking at the evoshield compression wrist sleeve with strap. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Doughnuts08 said:

Have you tried taping them with hockey tape so you can adjust the amount of support you need in game?

Have not tried that as it sounds restrictive, plus that would be lots of tape each game I would imagine.

I use these whenever I have any wrist soreness or just want additional support.  They are lightweight and don't interfere in any way.  Make sure it's the compression sleeve, not the protective sleeve, as the protective sleeve has plastic in it.

http://www.evoshield.com/en-us/compression/evocharge-compression-wrist-sleeve-with-strap

I would also advise that you get one size smaller if you want greater compression and support, even with the adjustable strap.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I would also advise that you get one size smaller if you want greater compression and support, even with the adjustable strap.  

Just ordered one on Amazon. Took your advice and went with a smaller size. Really hope this replaces tape. My wrist hairs can only take so much ripping.

Had to search for sizing, but according to a pdf:

Measure the circumference of your wrist: 5" - small,  6" - medium, 7" - large. My wrist measured exactly 7", but I ordered a medium.

Edited by mc88

I measured as a medium, so I originally bought that size, but I found that I wasn't getting the compression feel I wanted on the top half.  (the strap allows plenty of compression right around the wrist, but the top half had a touch of slack).  Exchanged for a small, and gave me the tight compression that I was looking for all around, and I didn't have to crank down on the strap.  Also, keep in mind, over time, the elasticity will loosen up a touch.  However, worst case, Amazon will exchange with no fuss.

On 5/23/2018 at 2:27 AM, the iceman said:

Pro wrap and hockey tape

This works best, but either have a trainer show you how to do it right or read up on it first. If you do it wrong (such as by covering the joint line or taping a straight wrist tightly), you can cause a serious injury falling on it or jamming it.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 10:28 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

I measured as a medium, so I originally bought that size, but I found that I wasn't getting the compression feel I wanted on the top half.  (the strap allows plenty of compression right around the wrist, but the top half had a touch of slack).  Exchanged for a small, and gave me the tight compression that I was looking for all around, and I didn't have to crank down on the strap.  Also, keep in mind, over time, the elasticity will loosen up a touch.  However, worst case, Amazon will exchange with no fuss.

Just got my medium in the mail and it appears to be a nice snug fit. My only concern is that the Velcro strap has a bit longitudinal movement (without adjusting it to the point of my blood cirulation get cutting off), so hopefully it'll work underneath some gloves/wrist guards. But, for normal day-to-day use, it feels just as good as tape.

Thanks for the recommendation. :1312_thumbsup_tone3:

Edited by mc88
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mc88 said:

Just got my medium in the mail and it appears to be a nice snug fit. My only concern is that the Velcro strap has a bit longitudinal movement (without adjusting it to the point of my blood cirulation get cutting off), so hopefully it'll work underneath some gloves/wrist guards. But, for normal day-to-day use, it feels just as good as tape.

Thanks for the recommendation. :1312_thumbsup_tone3:

No problem and hope they work out for you.  I didn't know you were going to wear wrist guards over them.  In that case, I would have recommended you to get the Evo protective sleeves (though I think they are more limiting in movement and a bit more bulkier)

http://www.evoshield.com/en-us/protective-gear/wrist-guards/evocharge-protective-wrist-guard

Edited by shoot_the_goalie