Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
colins

William Karlsson Stick

Anyone have a 2017/18 William Karlsson prostock? They jjust said on the Sportsnet broadcast for game 1 of the Stanley Cup final that this season Karlsson cut two inches off his stick, and lowered the lie of the blade.

This doesn't make much sense to me - if you take two inches off your stick, you would tend to need to raise your lie to keep the blade on the ice when it's closer to your feet/body.

I noticed this myself going from a P88/P40 to the P92. I hated the P92 for years until I finally cut 2-3 inches off and used it at a much shorter length than I liked my P88 at.

Did they just get it mixed up, or did Karlsson really shorten his stick and *decrease* his lie to land on his current stick choice?

colins

If you look at some of the sticks for sale on prostockhockey.com, they'll sometimes have multiple stick models for the same player with sometimes really different specs from each other in regards to curve, lie, length, flex, etc. Perhaps players need different specs as they get older or accumulate injuries or work on their shots in the off season.

I play the drums and over the years I have used sticks with wildly different specs in terms of weight, length, diameter, tip, etc. as my playing evolved so it probably happens more than we think with pro players changing their stick specs as they evolve in their careers...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, colins said:

This doesn't make much sense to me - if you take two inches off your stick, you would tend to need to raise your lie to keep the blade on the ice when it's closer to your feet/body.

It depends on what his personal needs are. Take two inches off, and maybe, he'll need to bend his knees more, helping all parts of his game, from balance to shot power. Drop the lie, and he'll be able to get his hands away from his body further and still maintain blade contact with the ice, which may help his his shot and puck carrying skills.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, puckpilot said:

It depends on what his personal needs are. Take two inches off, and maybe, he'll need to bend his knees more, helping all parts of his game, from balance to shot power. Drop the lie, and he'll be able to get his hands away from his body further and still maintain blade contact with the ice, which may help his his shot and puck carrying skills.

I acquired a pro stock stick with a really low lie that was also cut short.  I was unable to insert a plug, so I had to use it as is.  I found that the combo of low lie and short stick worked really well for the reasons puckpilot mentions above.  Stick handling was better, slapshot, knee bend, etc. 

I don't use the stick because I know I won't be able to find the same curve/lie options to replace it.