Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Never heard of it. I'm interested in trying new stuff out. To an extent, I believe the different blades are a to an extent bunch of voodoo. Different skate blades wont help someone magically become a great skater. 

For someone who is a good technical skater, I would be interested in seeing how noticeable the differences are. 

• Like 1

I have a set on my FT1s right now with a quad .5 profile....noticeable improvement from my stock SB hyperglide steel....more ice surface contact, more height to the steel, and the edge has held alot longer so far

Disclaimer - I’ve been dealing with them and am currently testing out their blades. 

Nick - if you can provide some tech data for the forum, that would be great. 

• Like 1

I'd love to try them but obviously they're not going to make them for old Makos, nor the older One80 goalie cowling. So I'm out of luck until I get new skates! 

Byonic Blades are up to 40% lighter than leading OEM and aftermarket blades (Patent XLITE upper profile design). Certified high strength stainless reinforced with Molybdenum for meximum edge life and impact resistance. Superpolished surface finish for optimum glide and speed transfer. and offered in various colors. 

• Like 1

Ran across you guys on Instagram the other day and was intrigued enough to poke around on your website for a bit.  Here are my thoughts:

1) As we all know, stock steel from the major skate manufacturers is largely crap.  As such, I very much appreciate the fact that there are multiple aftermarket options where things like "steel composition" and "edge retention" are considered; as opposed to merely "cost to manufacture". 

2) "world's fastest performance skate blade"?  Really?  How do you quantify that?  

3) The weight reduction is definitely interesting and I love how you're pushing the envelope with your metallurgy and engineering.  However, I'm not sure how much difference weight will ultimately make in the "real world".  To me, proper profiling of the blade has a much greater impact on skating than the weight of the blade.  Put differently, while neither a good profile nor the weight of the blade will take a crappy skater and miraculously make him/her a good skater; a good profile CAN make a good skater better...I'm not sure the same can be said about a feather-weight blade.

4) Admittedly personal bias here, but I'm 100% against colored blades for color's sake.  IMHO, it's a gimmick that needs to disappear from the game.  If a player is worried about the COLOR of his/her skate blades, then s/he is worried about the WRONG THING.  If there's a performance benefit, fine...but having a red (or blue...or yellow...or pink) blade that, in the end, is nothing more than a fashion statement is patently ridiculous.  

In the end, while I have Tyden steel on my skates and my kid's skates, I definitely wish Byonic all the luck in the world.  I love to see innovation and passionate people trying to redefine what's possible........just not in obnoxiously unnecessary colors. 

Edited by Santos L Halper
Grammar

43 minutes ago, Santos L Halper said:

Ran across you guys on Instagram the other day and was intrigued enough to poke around on your website for a bit.  Here are my thoughts:

1) As we all know, stock steel from the major skate manufacturers is largely crap.  As such, I very much appreciate the fact that there are multiple aftermarket options where things like "steel composition" and "edge retention" are considered; as opposed to merely "cost to manufacture". 

2) "world's fastest performance skate blade"?  Really?  How do you quantify that?  

3) The weight reduction is definitely interesting and I love how you're pushing the envelope with your metallurgy and engineering.  However, I'm not sure how much difference weight will ultimately make in the "real world".  To me, proper profiling of the blade has a much greater impact on skating than the weight of the blade.  Put differently, while neither a good profile nor the weight of the blade will take a crappy skater and miraculously make him/her a good skater; a good profile CAN make a good skater better...I'm not sure the same can be said about a feather-weight blade.

4) Admittedly personal bias here, but I'm 100% against colored blades for color's sake.  IMHO, it's a gimmick that needs to disappear from the game.  If a player is worried about the COLOR of his/her skate blades, then s/he is worried about the WRONG THING.  If there's a performance benefit, fine...but having a red (or blue...or yellow...or pink) blade that, in the end, is nothing more than a fashion statement is patently ridiculous.  

In the end, while I have Tyden steel on my skates and my kid's skates, I definitely wish Byonic all the luck in the world.  I love to see innovation and passionate people trying to redefine what's possible........just not in obnoxiously unnecessm

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I couldn't agree more with points 1 and 3. I neglected to mention that all our blades are precision laser cut and come with 9-10 contour out of the box. All blades identically matching. If you have a minute please visit our instagram page. I provide more detailed specifics on the effects of weight savings. We bench marked our design to be better than Step and Tydan,which I feel are excellent products. My goal is to provide the best blade on the market at a fair price. The Colors are simply cosmetic and provide an option for those who may want something different. We will also be working with organizations during fundraising for events such as pink in the rink. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Doughnuts08 said:

^ they have non colored blades FYI

Yep.  And I admitted that my dislike of colored blades was my own personal bias.  

He asked what MSH posters thought of Byonic blades. I gave my opinion.  Think that's pretty much how this is supposed to work...

Don’t forget that these blades aren’t just for top notch hockey players. They will also sell to shinty players (yes I did spell that right) and freestyle skaters too, who might want some colour. I happen to love gaudy laces and they help identify me in videos and photos so I can see what I am doing right/wrong. I. Just admit coloured blades are not for me, I’m not convinced the black carbon ones offer any real benefit. 

45 minutes ago, Leif said:

I’m not convinced the black carbon ones offer any real benefit. 

I understand what POV you're coming from, but I don't agree with this statement when in comes to certain brands.  Step Blacksteel, for instance, offers a lot of benefits over your typical steels, even better benefits compared to regular Stepsteel.  Blacksteel sharpens incredibly well (minimal to no burrs) and definitely holds an edge much longer than typical steels, and being that the case, you can argue that it does increase your overall performance due to having a better, longer-lasting edge.

• Like 2

What some are saying about Byonic Blades:

Drew

Wore my blades last night and absolutely love them by far the best blades I have skated on!!!

Also have a customer testing them out as we speak.

Cody

Great blades guys I really really love the design of them nicest sounding blades I have ever skated on and I cut harder then ever I am going to endorse these amazing blades. I am currently wanting to switch all my 2 sets of Step steel into Byonic blades.

Kim  

First of all, Thanks you for the blades, they made the skates look amazing!

I have tried them on now and i can only say that i just love them. superb grip!

I have only skated for about 2 hours with them, but the edge still look as good as new 😊

A lot of my teammates have looked at the blades and they are very interesting in them, so hopefully you will sell a lot when the season starts up again 😊

Nick R,

LOVE THE BLADES BUDDY!!!  Better than Tydan!

Hi S,

I was just going to email you today. Jack used them in a practice and just did an open skate on Saturday, because his team had been off the ice for a few days. Well he absolutely loves the Byonic blades. At the open skate he was flying on them. We interchanged them with the LS4's a few different times and he went full out on both and said he prefers the Byonic blades to the LS4. He said he feels like he has more control, acceleration, speed and feels a slight difference in weight. My wife and I could both see a difference in the way he was skating from one to the other. She was actually saying we should do a little clip of him skating on them and post it on the Byonic's instagram as Jack is following them. I was going to ask you if there was any chance of getting him another set? I like to keep it consistent for Jack with the same runners. Lmk. Thanks again, Scot.

Drew 

6 hours ago, Leif said:

Don’t forget that these blades aren’t just for top notch hockey players. They will also sell to shinty players (yes I did spell that right) and freestyle skaters too, who might want some colour. I happen to love gaudy laces and they help identify me in videos and photos so I can see what I am doing right/wrong. I. Just admit coloured blades are not for me, I’m not convinced the black carbon ones offer any real benefit. 

As a person who sharpens skates, I can attest that the DLC coated blades stay sharper and get fewer nicks on the blades. I am only familiar with Step’s Black Steel admittedly, as I regularly sharpen a skate with Step Black Steel. On these blades, the sides of the runner are polished, which in my limited knowledge of metallurgy, would harden the sides more than a raw surface. Couple that with the DLC, and you have a great combination for durability. When he used stock Bauer steel, I sharpened his runners once every other week (four ice times per week); now that he uses Step Black steel, I touch up his blades once per month.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Leif said:

Thanks for the comments. I use Step steel, love it, my next blades will be black Step steel. :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Make certain your sharpener does not use a honing stone on your Black Steel. First of all- the blades do not burr like un-polished and coated blades, but secondly- it will destroy the black DLC coating. All that is needed is a bit of smoothing with a leather strop. 

I think you will love Blacksteel. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Make certain your sharpener does not use a honing stone on your Black Steel. First of all- the blades do not burr like un-polished and coated blades, but secondly- it will destroy the black DLC coating. All that is needed is a bit of smoothing with a leather strop. 

I think you will love Blacksteel. 

Thankfully I use two decent sharpeners, who know what they are doing, so it shouldn't be a problem. :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

On 5/30/2018 at 12:00 PM, Byonic Skate Blades said:

Let me know if you've heard of @ByonicSkateBlades and your thoughts on skate blades in general. Check us out www.bbyonic.com.   

Our shop carries your blades and I can tell you the general feedback we have received. 

Pros: Very light! Colored steel is "cool." Holds a good edge. Much better than factory steel. 

Negatives: Wish the steel was taller like Tydan/Step. Could be harder steel. Colors wear off easily. 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

Our shop carries your blades and I can tell you the general feedback we have received. 

Pros: Very light! Colored steel is "cool." Holds a good edge. Much better than factory steel. 

Negatives: Wish the steel was taller like Tydan/Step. Could be harder steel. Colors wear off easily. 

"Very light" and wishing the steel were taller. Obviously the taller the heavier.

You say it "holds a good edge" but could be harder. Can you please explain what you mean?