Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

All Byonic Skate Blades come precision laser cut with our patent "xLite" upper profile design for optimal balance, quickness and control. The lower blade height (.040 -.050 < LS4) we feel is the ideal choice for maximum stability, turning and explosive pivoting. 

All our blades are made out of high strength certified stainless steel with added Molybdenum for max edge life and impact resistance, with a hardness range 52-56 HRC.

We also offer a "Superpolished"  surface finish (Ra = 0.1-.0.2 microns) for optimum glide, increased speed, energy conversation and maneuverability. 

The colour coated blades are "Cosmetic" only and do wear easily especially when coming in contact with other skates. They offer the same performance benefits as our brushed steel. We are currently working on methods to improve durability of our Gen 1 colour coated blades. 

If skaters want more height, what about adding lifts to both towers of their holders? Probably adds less weight than taller steel, but shouldn't it achieve the same increase in turn angle depth?

8 hours ago, flip12 said:

If skaters want more height, what about adding lifts to both towers of their holders? Probably adds less weight than taller steel, but shouldn't it achieve the same increase in turn angle depth?

That's what Saku Koivu had on his skates when he was with Montreal. Notice the thick black shims.

koivuskates.jpg

I guess taller steel wasn't available back then. But with shims, maybe the "flange" (or whatever it's called) at the top of the holder would still hit the ice so it wouldn't be as effective as taller steel.

Edited by Larry54

The new holders are also taller. The Bauer Edge holder is 3mm taller than previous holder and the CCM Speedblade holder is 4mm taller than previous holder. Adding even more height by using a taller blade would negatively effect stability and balance.

19 hours ago, Larry54 said:

That's what Saku Koivu had on his skates when he was with Montreal. Notice the thick black shims.

I guess taller steel wasn't available back then. But with shims, maybe the "flange" (or whatever it's called) at the top of the holder would still hit the ice so it wouldn't be as effective as taller steel.

I'd be interested to see tests on this. Is that what hits when one "bottoms out" on a turn? I thought it was the boot itself.

6 hours ago, Byonic Skate Blades said:

The new holders are also taller. The Bauer Edge holder is 3mm taller than previous holder and the CCM Speedblade holder is 4mm taller than previous holder. Adding even more height by using a taller blade would negatively effect stability and balance.

I follow you, to a point. But isn't there more room for even more added height? Look at the comparative height of roller hockey chassis. I know there are other elements that make that comparison less than perfectly direct (lack or radius on typical roller setup being one), but it makes me think there might be quite a bit of potential to add height without getting into the negative balance area. As for stability, isn't that more to do with the radius of the blade than the height of the boot off the ice?

Edited by flip12

Couple of questions:

1. What in the process of making these blades makes them lighter?  Is it the blend of steel that you use?
  2. What makes them stronger?
  3. What about the blades makes them glide better?
  4. How is the edge retention vs Step, LS4, or CCM SB Blacksteel?

38 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I'd be interested to see tests on this. Is that what hits when one "bottoms out" on a turn? I thought it was the boot itself.

I follow you, to a point. But isn't there more room for even more added height? Look at the comparative height of roller hockey chassis. I know there are other elements that make that comparison less than perfectly direct (lack or radius on typical roller setup being one), but it makes me think there might be quite a bit of potential to add height without getting into the negative balance area. As for stability, isn't that more to do with the radius of the blade than the height of the boot off the ice?

I like to use the analogy of Stilts or heels. The higher your center of mass is from the ground the more difficult it would be to balance yourself. 

24 minutes ago, goalieman39 said:

Couple of questions:

1. What in the process of making these blades makes them lighter?  Is it the blend of steel that you use?
  2. What makes them stronger?
  3. What about the blades makes them glide better?
  4. How is the edge retention vs Step, LS4, or CCM SB Blacksteel?

1. The patent upper profile design in combination with the blades being 1.5 mm shorter than LS4.

2. Material composition

3. .1-.2 Ra super polished surface finish and precision laser cut profile.

4. Approx. 20-25% better edge retention.  

20 hours ago, Larry54 said:

koivuskates.jpg

Many players do use lifts so that is a possibility. But for some, the change is negative as it affects a players center of gravity. I get a lot of older players that buy new Step/Tydan/Massive steel and want me to grind it down to an LS2 height because they hate the taller steel. The younger players are much more accustomed to the taller steel so they are already adapted to it. 

I am also mixed on if taller is better. The only reason why I like taller is it allows me to profile a blade one or more times without making the steel very short. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Byonic Skate Blades said:

I like to use the analogy of Stilts or heels. The higher your center of mass is from the ground the more difficult it would be to balance yourself. 

I’m not sure that analogy applies. Certainly not to the degree that balancing on roller hockey skates does.

I understood the Byonic Blades shipped with a 9/10 profile. Now I read on your Instagram page that the junior sizes come with an 8/9 profile??? Interesting.

Also, when will the DNA coated Byonic Blades be available?

Edited by 218hockey

Has anyone else had any recent experience with this steel? Im wondering if there has been any change to the coatings to make them more than simply cosmetic vs the coatings on Blacksteel as I like the idea of the benefits it could provide while also not having the same height

22 hours ago, Thanos said:

Has anyone else had any recent experience with this steel? Im wondering if there has been any change to the coatings to make them more than simply cosmetic vs the coatings on Blacksteel as I like the idea of the benefits it could provide while also not having the same height

Yes, we sell a ton of it. The coating is not DLC though it does make it a bit tougher. The steel itself is very nice though. 

On 1/14/2019 at 6:21 AM, Byonic Skate Blades said:

Hi Thanos,

Byonic DNA Superblack coated blades are electroplated for enhanced edge retention. Unlike the colored blades that are cosmetic only. 

Regards,

Team Byonic. 

Would it be fair to say that the SuperBlack coating is also more resistant to wear and tear?