Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

14 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Not sure why you think the markup is low. High-end skates go for about 40% more than cost. MAP is a nightmare but its the only thing that keep the big stores like Hockey Monkey and Pure from crushing little shops like mine. 

I don't think its low.  It just wasn't as high as I expected.  A top end stick at retail goes for $275 and prior to taking the job I thought the cost on them was much lower than it is.  I was thinking in the $75-$100 range.

Edited by strosedefence34

Looking solely at the direct retail aspect, I don't know how much impact it will have. If small shops couldn't compete with big online retailers they probably went out of business last decade. If Bauer is like most manufacturers selling direct, prices will be full retail, plus tax, plus shipping, and often more restrictive return policies. So I don't see it as particularly appealing from a consumer standpoint. It could be helpful for individuals looking for unusual sizing, uncommon curves/flexes, etc. that are harder find even at larger retailers. I could be wrong, but I don't see myself buying directly from Bauer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davideo said:

Looking solely at the direct retail aspect, I don't know how much impact it will have. If small shops couldn't compete with big online retailers they probably went out of business last decade. If Bauer is like most manufacturers selling direct, prices will be full retail, plus tax, plus shipping, and often more restrictive return policies. So I don't see it as particularly appealing from a consumer standpoint. It could be helpful for individuals looking for unusual sizing, uncommon curves/flexes, etc. that are harder find even at larger retailers. I could be wrong, but I don't see myself buying directly from Bauer.

This.

If I'm buying off the Bauer website I better get my choice of flex and curve that expands on the 4 that most shops stock. That would be the only incentive to purchase off their site directly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adam14 said:

This.

If I'm buying off the Bauer website I better get my choice of flex and curve that expands on the 4 that most shops stock. That would be the only incentive to purchase off their site directly. 

Perhaps this could lead to more curve options? That would be a positive for that small subset looking for different options.

39 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

The MyBauer part of their current site already gives you more than just the 4 stock options. People are asking for something that already exists.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that requires buying the $300 top of the line model.

You think they will all of the sudden make all curves available at mid-range for one-off buys online? The only way curve options open up below top of the line is for team sales of a manufacturer's "team stick".

On 6/14/2018 at 3:14 PM, chippa13 said:

You think they will all of the sudden make all curves available at mid-range for one-off buys online? The only way curve options open up below top of the line is for team sales of a manufacturer's "team stick".

I don't know. The current structure of the market makes it unfeasible to offer very many options. Retailers, even very large ones, don't want to stock dozens of permutations of every stick. So it makes sense that the non-top end sticks have 2-4 curve options. I don't have any knowledge on manufacturer's mold costs or break even points, but with direct orders it may be possible to get enough orders that Bauer can offer a few more.

I do also wonder if the proliferation of stick models (Bauer offers 14 different adult models) exacerbates the problem.

But this just underscores one of a few reasons why I stick with two piece sticks, much easier and cheaper to mix and match curves and flexes.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2018 at 6:11 PM, Davideo said:

I don't know. The current structure of the market makes it unfeasible to offer very many options. Retailers, even very large ones, don't want to stock dozens of permutations of every stick. So it makes sense that the non-top end sticks have 2-4 curve options. I don't have any knowledge on manufacturer's mold costs or break even points, but with direct orders it may be possible to get enough orders that Bauer can offer a few more.

I do also wonder if the proliferation of stick models (Bauer offers 14 different adult models) exacerbates the problem.

But this just underscores one of a few reasons why I stick with two piece sticks, much easier and cheaper to mix and match curves and flexes.

With the curve options it became pointless to make so many offerings for so few people. At one point I believe on the Total ONE NXG? we ordered in every curve Bauer offered, and stocked it in 77 and 87 for LH & RH. Pm9, P88, P92, P92L5, P106, P91A, P08, P14, P02. I had to order in multiple 6 packs of P88 77 RH before I sold my 1 P02, P106, P91A and PM9 that I ordered in. I think I finally sold my p02s for half off when the original 1S came out. I remember lucking out selling the p91A... they were that unpopular. This year on the 1X Lite stick I've sold an insane amount of P28 77 flexes and P88 as well. The P14 I ordered I still have... If I bought another P28 instead I would have $299 more sold in product this year. 

Basically what the story I have is getting to, beyond P92, P88 and P28 you really don't need to stock another curve in a store. Yes, there are people who love their PM9, P106, P91A, P38, P14, P02 curves....but if you just go heavy in those 3 curves you're fine. You'll sell them. Right now the hot curve for our market is p28, and if I had 100 more of them in-stock in the right stick/flex at the time I could've sold it...I would have done that. Unfortunately I booked too many P92s & my Warrior Alphas, CCM Revolutions & True XCores are not selling compared to 1X Lite, Trigger2 & SuperTack 2.0 are this year. If I loaded up on those 3 sticks and went heavy in p28 I would be up 100 stick sales this season, easily. 

This realization by retailers and the companies always having left-overs of the weird curves/flexes has led to massive SKU reductions. This will continue further and Bauer.com existing isn't going to bring back an ample amount of stick options. They have myBauer for that. 

Edited by JR Boucicaut

Might be referring to this

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeyplayers/comments/8zbktz/bauer_is_launching_a_custom_skate_program_on_july/?utm_source=reddit-android

7 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

So now they are doing Scanned customs? 

Mmmmm who thought up that idea???

You had to believe that was their intent all along. Bauer is certainly no stranger to building custom skates, would make total sense to try and make the process easier.

8 minutes ago, stick9 said:

You had to believe that was their intent all along. Bauer is certainly no stranger to building custom skates, would make total sense to try and make the process easier.

"MyBauer".  My guess would be a customized skate and not a true "custom" skate.  

14 minutes ago, stick9 said:

yes but now they are the follower and not the leader.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Are they though?  They're already in more retailers than True is with their scanner, and as previously mentioned, had been doing custom skates for a long time before that.  The gap (for all skate manufacturers) isn't very wide.

I was spec'd on this last year.  The way it's going to be done (unless it's changed) is interesting.

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

"MyBauer".  My guess would be a customized skate and not a true "custom" skate.  

What's funny about that is that a customized skate will most likely appease the masses.  There were so many custom skate jobs I rejected from people who just wanted a different liner or a different tongue.  Like, being able to get Bobby Clarke tongues was the biggest conversation when it came to getting a skate built up from the ground.

5 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

You can't always nor do you always have to be first to be successful in the long run.  Fast Followers have consistently been successful (Google, GM).

Valid, but that would be an admission that the True kool-aid is actually kool-aid and not the nectar of the gods/Johnny Walker Blue that will also solve world hunger. 

Easton, Busch, and a few others I’m probably missing were also first movers at one point in a different category. Seems to have worked out well for them...

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

You can't always nor do you always have to be first to be successful in the long run.  Fast Followers have consistently been successful (Google, GM).

This is exactly why Steve Jobs was a genius. You don't have to be the one to come up with an idea, you just have to be the one that takes an idea and makes it something people want.

1 hour ago, Cavs019 said:

Valid, but that would be an admission that the True kool-aid is actually kool-aid and not the nectar of the gods/Johnny Walker Blue that will also solve world hunger. 

Easton, Busch, and a few others I’m probably missing were also first movers at one point in a different category. Seems to have worked out well for them...

But it IS the nectar of the gods! 😄 

3 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

That's what Peter Thiel calls the Last Mover Advantage, though it doesn't have to be a particularly fast response, just the one that achieves monopoly (if I remember his video lecture correctly).

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

This is exactly why Steve Jobs was a genius. You don't have to be the one to come up with an idea, you just have to be the one that takes an idea and makes it something people want.

My theory is Jobs was so successful because he was incredibly intellectually gifted genetically and incredibly socially nurtured by doting adoptive parents, who weren't as intellectually gifted. His main insight to me seems to be making complicated technology simple enough to be enjoyed by ordinary people; encapsulating his particular nature and nurture.

2 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

If you're thinking of OPS, it was Busch that was the first mover, if I'm not mistaken, beating Easton by almost 10-years. Easton was the monopolizer for a while in the early days of mainstream OPS adoption.

P.S. Sorry for steering into the off-topic thrust of the thread.

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

What flavor is that, fruit punch or Triple Berry?

In regards to Jobs. Its not so much about making something people want. It’s about making something people can’t live without. 

When it comes to skates. You can’t tell me there aren’t some tense meetings in the offices of True these days. Your nice little niche market just got invaded by the industries leading manufacturer.