Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

1 hour ago, BlueNux said:

So they don’t adjust the instep depth/volume? I was under the assumption that a true custom skate would customize everything, from width, instep depth, etc. 

I’m in supremes now and they still have the metatarsal guard dig into the top of my foot and I fail the pencil test a bit. I swim in Nexus. 

It'll spit out a recommendation.  Your final product would address the instep issues.  

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

We're talking about custom. 

Yes, but you still have to start somewhere.  All 3 skates have different fit profiles.  It's easier to start at one and go from there.  That's why you don't ever see one particular model skate look like another (V-cut being the exception to the rule, that's something else.)  The components of the skate still fit that pattern.

30 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

Width most definitely isn’t determined by retail last if that is what you’re suggesting.  Pro stock/custom “D” is the same (all else held constant) regardless of which line you select, and has been that way forever. 

We should probably just wait for the full download from JR/JDub instead of confusing people via speculation. 

Yes, thanks!

Howdy,

1 hour ago, Cavs019 said:

Width most definitely isn’t determined by retail last if that is what you’re suggesting.  Pro stock/custom “D” is the same (all else held constant) regardless of which line you select, and has been that way forever. 

We should probably just wait for the full download from JR/JDub instead of confusing people via speculation. 

I thought these teaser things were supposed to generate buzz?

We're buzzing!

:-)

Mark

7 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Yeah looks to be that way.  They have to keep up with CCM and True.  I remember when the 3D lab came out someone hinted at the fact that it was going to be used for this in the future.  I didn't think it would be a 3D print though.

Not just a 3D last (in reality that is dead simple to print from a 3D scan) but imho this is the next step toward a 3D printed boot. Adidas and others are already printing significant components of their footwear range with 3D printers and I've recently seen a new high speed printer that prints carbon fibre. At a technological level everything is there to do it now. 

Regardless of how Bauer decides to "make" these "custom" skates their technology is still behind CCM and True until they move to a monocoque frame. I assume that won't happen for a few more years as they need to wait for all of that fancy hardware they bought to depreciate. 

Edited by Nicholas G

9 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Regardless of how Bauer decides to "make" these "custom" skates their technology is still behind CCM and True until they move to a monocoque frame. I assume that won't happen for a few more years as they need to wait for all of that fancy hardware they bought to depreciate. 

Yet they still manage to out sell those other brands, go figure...

Bauer stepping in to the custom scan/last game is a great thing for us. 

For me, it gives me options for my next pair of skates since my VHs are running down after 3 years of service. 

I’m stoked to see how Bauer does with this process and can’t wait to hear feedback on this forum. 

I’m currently weighing my options on my next pair of customs and I will probably get it started in November. 

Cant wait to hear from the forum on how well the CCM/Bauer customs are doing. 

Best hockey equipment news I’ve had since being on this site. IMO, of course. 

12 hours ago, stick9 said:

Yet they still manage to out sell those other brands, go figure...

That's because they own the mind share. Look at how many car companies outsell Tesla and Volvo, yet both of those companies are building a superior product. 

3 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

By what measure is True a superior product to Bauer?  Objectively speaking. 

At this point? Comfort. But I suppose that’s not an objective measure since plenty of people skate without pain in Bauer

5 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

What I'd love to know. Not just with True but also CCM's monocoque boots. I wish there were better reviews detailing the degree of benefit that offers. Is it pure hype, somewhat of an improvement, or purely perception, etc.? Maybe there are some LTRs I've missed, but I've tried to look for that info and it keeps eluding me.

10 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

5 hours ago, flip12 said:

What I'd love to know. Not just with True but also CCM's monocoque boots. I wish there were better reviews detailing the degree of benefit that offers. Is it pure hype, somewhat of an improvement, or purely perception, etc.? Maybe there are some LTRs I've missed, but I've tried to look for that info and it keeps eluding me.

One would say that the monocoque boot provides a performance advantage in the fact that the outsole is not a separate piece from the boot. It could be seen as more of your movement going to the holder and runner, essentially. This would be from continuous fibres surrounding your foot.  That is a subjective argument, as well since after all- if multiple pieces were that bad, the monocoque boot would have made its appearance long ago and nobody would be using Bauer skates (how they are currently made), however- if Bauer ends up making their own monocoque skate, then it would prove if nothing else, they don’t want to be left behind. 

Now- if someone could build what would essentially an orthotic with a holder attached (yes- an upper would have to be built around it, etc., etc.),that would be a game changer, albeit VERY expensive. To define “orthotic with a holder attached” would be that the skate would be built to a mould of your foot and there would not be a removable insole; the insole WOULD be the footbed and outsole. A few pairs of super-high end cycling shoes are made like this, costing a couple of thousand dollars.

12 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

That's because they own the mind share. Look at how many car companies outsell Tesla and Volvo, yet both of those companies are building a superior product. 

Let me guess, you own a Volvo and want a Tesla or you own a Tesla and the wife drives a Volvo. Either way, bet I am close.

Not sure you could have picked a worse analogy. For the sake of the thread I’ll just leave it at that.

FYI - sold me S60 about 5 months ago.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Let me guess, you own a Volvo and want a Tesla or you own a Tesla and the wife drives a Volvo. Either way, bet I am close.

Not sure you could have picked a worse analogy. For the sake of the thread I’ll just leave it at that.

I have a Volvo XC90 and just ordered my Model 3, so... does that count? 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Now- if someone could build what would essentially an orthotic with a holder attached (yes- an upper would have to be built around it, etc., etc.),that would be a game changer, albeit VERY expensive. To define “orthotic with a holder attached” would be that the skate would be built to a mould of your foot and there would not be a removable insole; the insole WOULD be the footbed and outsole. A few pairs of super-high end cycling shoes are made like this, costing a couple of thousand dollars.

Based on Coach Jeremy's video, the True skates have some orthotic functions built it, at least the bed is built around your arch. I hope this is the case as I just ordered a pair and have to wear orthotics in my shoes. I'm hoping that I don't have to send the right boot back if it makes my pronation/subination issues worse. *fingers crossed*

That’s correct, it’s shaped to your arch. If you wear orthotics in your shoes you can tell them about it and they’ll build the skates so you don’t need orthotics in them.

At least, that’s how it was with VH. I have no idea if they still do that. 

8 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

Based on Coach Jeremy's video, the True skates have some orthotic functions built it, at least the bed is built around your arch. I hope this is the case as I just ordered a pair and have to wear orthotics in my shoes. I'm hoping that I don't have to send the right boot back if it makes my pronation/subination issues worse. *fingers crossed*

They do build around your arch; it’s just still not quite an orthotic with a holder on it! They still have a superior fit.

I don't know if this link will open for you all but this is the Bauer 3D scan that I got. It recognizes how wide my feet are and it underestimates the length of my feet. It wants me to go into a Vapor eventhough I had to have my 12EE Nexus skates widened as they were too narrow. I was measured in a Bauer Brannock device at was right at size 12 in my left foot. My right foot is smaller but there's no way in hell it's a 9 3/8 skate size as their scanner measures; it may be an 11. I got this and other funky results from the CCM scan which is why I went with True as their process seemed more thorough and included photos in a brannock and photos with hotspots notated.

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/9f2011d6-46b3-4751-8f7b-5d1e86237a73/?utm_medium=myvemail

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

One would say that the monocoque boot provides a performance advantage in the fact that the outsole is not a separate piece from the boot. It could be seen as more of your movement going to the holder and runner, essentially. This would be from continuous fibres surrounding your foot.  That is a subjective argument, as well since after all- if multiple pieces were that bad, the monocoque boot would have made its appearance long ago and nobody would be using Bauer skates (how they are currently made), however- if Bauer ends up making their own monocoque skate, then it would prove if nothing else, they don’t want to be left behind. 

I think the technology has existed for a while now and manufacturers wanted to move to a single piece skate for a while but it was cost prohibitive. 

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

I own both. They are also the only manufacturers that have true full self-driving capabilities but have them currently disabled due to government regulations. In many ways, my XC60 Drive Pilot system works better than Tesla Auto Pilot. I also do engineering, specifically focusing on AI, ML, and HPC. The analogy makes sense if you follow technology in automobiles understanding who is investing the most in safety and advanced driving concepts. 

34 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

They do build around your arch; it’s just still not quite an orthotic with a holder on it! They still have a superior fit.

While the arch is somewhat incorporated if you have a high enough arch you will still need an aftermarket footbed of some type. 

Edited by Nicholas G

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

KOR had a non-removable moldable footbed in a monocoque boot about 12 years ago. Now the boot itself wasn't built around your foot, but you did stand up during the heat molding process and the built in insole would mold around your foot along with other parts of the skate.

Howdy,

2 hours ago, CigarScott said:

I don't know if this link will open for you all but this is the Bauer 3D scan that I got. It recognizes how wide my feet are and it underestimates the length of my feet. It wants me to go into a Vapor eventhough I had to have my 12EE Nexus skates widened as they were too narrow. I was measured in a Bauer Brannock device at was right at size 12 in my left foot. My right foot is smaller but there's no way in hell it's a 9 3/8 skate size as their scanner measures; it may be an 11. I got this and other funky results from the CCM scan which is why I went with True as their process seemed more thorough and included photos in a brannock and photos with hotspots notated.

https://my.volumental.com/en/bauer/9f2011d6-46b3-4751-8f7b-5d1e86237a73/?utm_medium=myvemail

That's crazy cool!

I got scanned a while back just to see, but I didn't know you could get that first page of info at all or that there was an option to have it on the web...  Super cool to see level of detail on the first page.

Mark

48 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

I was just about to post this! Anyway, the Pure Hockey email that was just sent out had a teaser photo of potentially what the custom Bauer will look like.

EDIT: NVM. Goalie skates. 😞

Edited by BlueNux