Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
chippa13

2018 Off-Season Transactions

When I saw a link to an article on FB I thought it was a fake story. I don't have anything against Domi, but think Galchenyuk has way more upside. Nothing should surprise me anymore with Bergevin. Letting Eller go, giving two 2nds for Shaw and then signing him to a big contract, signing Alzner, Subban for Weber. Drouin for Sergachev was my least hated major move and that hasn't turned out too well thus far either.

Galchenyuk for Domi and picks or prospects or at least unloading a bad contract like Karl Alzner would've been palatable, but 1 for 1? That's a bad deal. Domi will likely hover around 50 points a season and Galchenyuk should be a consistent 30 plus goal player who can potentially put up 70 plus points if used correctly. Subban, Galchenyuk and Eller were 3 of my favourite players on the Habs this decade and now they're all gone. F**k Bergevin. If he takes anyone except Zadina or Svechnikov at the draft I don't think I'll be able to stomach watching another game until the guy is fired. He values character over creativity and skill so Brady Tkachuk being picked would disappoint, but not surprise me at all. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 3

I hope he goes on to produce and have a great, long career. He can be a 30 goal scorer in the right situation. I don't know if Arizona is the right situation, but I know Montreal wasn't (at least not under Julien). I hope this means they are taking the sniper from Halifax at #3.

At least they signed Domi to a reasonable contract. I still think they should've gotten a pick or prospect in addition to Domi for Galchenyuk, but at least the contract is good.

Edited by althoma1

Hamilton, Ferland , and prospect Fox sent to Carolina for Lindholm and Hanafin. I said when he signed his deal that Hamilton wouldn't finish that contract in Calgary. 

On 6/29/2018 at 11:01 PM, SirJW said:

Kings / Doughty agree to terms on eight-year extension.

8 years / $88 Million.

Glad he will stay a King.

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/la-ki...on/c-299342102

https://www.tsn.ca/kings-doughty-agr...sion-1.1127283

At what point can we start referring to them as the AARP Kings. No doubt Doughty was a necessary signing but you have to admit you are starting to feel some of those veteran signings.

• Like 1

8x11 sounds right for a perennial Norris candidate. The last 2-3 might be painful but it is what it is ( I for one would like to see 5 year contract limits in the next CBA)

• Like 1

Tavares leaving killed me as an Islanders fan. He really seemed to have turned heel and set back the franchise again. 

At least we have Barzal, Beauvillier, Bellows, Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Ho - Sang [who seems like he'd benefit under Lou and Barry].

15 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Tavares leaving killed me as an Islanders fan. He really seemed to have turned heel and set back the franchise again. 

At least we have Barzal, Beauvillier, Bellows, Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Ho - Sang [who seems like he'd benefit under Lou and Barry].

Not an Islander fan, but to me, this ones on the front office. He is the Islanders. If they had even the faintest idea he'd test the market, they should have explored trading him at the deadline. Boston gave up a 1st and a prospect along with some trash for pending UFA Rick Nash.

The only saving grace here is that they hired Lou who in turn hired Trotz. Lou will get that team back up to snuff and Trotz will give the team some much needed structure. 

Edited by stick9

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Not an Islander fan, but to me, this ones on the front office. He is the Islanders. If they had even the faintest idea he'd test the market, they should have explored trading him at the deadline. Boston gave up a 1st and a prospect along with some trash for pending UFA Rick Nash.

The only saving grace here is that they hired Lou who in turn hired Trotz. Lou will get that team back up to snuff and Trotz will give the team some much needed structure. 

It pains me to sound like I’m defending the snow regime as I’ve wanted that whole front office cleaned out for some time now, but he did ask the owners and front office not to trade him basically insinuating a deal would be made at some point.  It also made it more complicated with his NMC(or was it a NTC?).

He basically hamstrung the organization and then left

With the way it went down, he will be vilified by isles fans in the same territory as Dale Hunter.  If he’d have just been honest from the get go and said he just doesn’t feel like talking working it out here and needs to move on, then I’m sure he would have still had the support of most if not all isles fans instead of dragging it out to the last minute.

I hope he never sniffs a cup.

The organization failed Tavares. I don't expect Isles fans to believe it right now but take a realistic look at the history of the franchise for Tavares' tenure there and it will be a lot easier to understand the decision he made. It wasn't one he took lightly and I firmly believe that even with all of the Islanders shitshow over the years that a big part of Tavares did not want to leave and was trying very hard to convince himself to stay.

• Like 1

Well said. Completely agree.

Islanders fans shouldn't be upset with Tavares, they should be upset with the dumpster fire of an organization for giving him an overwhelming list of reasons to get out. You can only take so much. 

The ONLY reason I could have seen him sticking around is if he really thought Lou would be able to turn things around quickly. 

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Well said. Completely agree.

Islanders fans shouldn't be upset with Tavares, they should be upset with the dumpster fire of an organization for giving him an overwhelming list of reasons to get out. You can only take so much. 

The ONLY reason I could have seen him sticking around is if he really thought Lou would be able to turn things around quickly. 

We aren't, for the most part (have to qualify that because there are some shitheads calling him evil and hoping he dies and burning his jersey, none of which are okay). He exercised his right to listen to what other franchises had to offer and eventually join one of them. What's really upsetting to us is the way he did it. For years we were told that he only wants to stay here, finish the Drive for Five that started in 1983. The new, willing - to - spend ownership did what they could to appease him. There was finally stability in the arena situation and we were leaving Barclays Center behind. Garth Snow and Doug Weight, both of whom Tavares reportedly felt close to, were kept in the organization but replaced by more competent counterparts to keep their star happy. Ledecky and Malkin let him focus on his game instead of his contract like he asked, and Garth complied with Tavares' request not to be moved at the deadline. If he decided to stay the team could have flipped their draft capital for another piece or used it to supplement free agent signings. He gave management no direction. Then he stopped talking after holding court in LA. Our offseason plans were dependent on if JT was going to re-sign and he told us nothing. If he was even conflicted, Lou should have been told so that he could make plans. Nobody was told anything. Then he kneecapped us and left at the eleventh hour so that we were behind on free agency. His 'goodbye'  was two stock, nonspecific tweets. Then he posted the picture of him as a kid, like he knew all along. He forgot Mat Barzal's name when mentioning his tenure in New York. I'm not mad he left, that's fine and completely understandable. How he left was unforgivable. 

This reddit post does a much better job of explaining it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chippa13 said:

The organization failed Tavares. I don't expect Isles fans to believe it right now but take a realistic look at the history of the franchise for Tavares' tenure there and it will be a lot easier to understand the decision he made. It wasn't one he took lightly and I firmly believe that even with all of the Islanders shitshow over the years that a big part of Tavares did not want to leave and was trying very hard to convince himself to stay.

Again, as I pretty much stated in my initial post, and jamarquan stated in more detail in the post above, Isles fans, the majority at least, aren’t so upset with him actually leaving.  We are all a rely aware of how incompetent management and ownership have been over the years and many of us stated how we wouldn’t have blamed him if he’d asked for a trade at some point.  

Its all about the manner in which he left.

are isles fans fuming at the snowang regime?  Uh...duh. Of course management had a huge hand in him leaving, not a single one of us is ignorant to that fact, although you make the argument for our level of intelligence for becoming isles fans in the first place.  And no one is defending them.

But he could’ve handled in such a better way as to not become public enemy #1.  He still could be went out with respect.

yeah it’s a business and he’s entitled to do what he wants, but doesn’t make things feel less shitty and wishing him nothing but failure(from a hockey perspective) going forward.

12 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Just ordered my #91 jersey 😄

Shoulda waited until you knew if he was getting an "A" or the "C"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RadioGaGa said:

Shoulda waited until you knew if he was getting an "A" or the "C"

I still don't get the speculation that he's gonna get a C. Too quiet, disappears for long stretches on the ice, not a particularly public or outgoing person. I could see an A for his skill on the ice and maybe his ability to bring the younger guys along but the C would be a stretch to me.

I love how suddenly the franchise guy "disappears for long stretches". The second they knew he was going to the FA window and would entertain offers the Isles should have been working on plan B. The positive direction of the arena is still years off and the indecision of how many home games where is a joke. The repairs to the front office and redirecting the ship will take a few seasons to show up on the ice as they need to build the blueline and find goaltending stability. They will score goals but this team is probably better off for Tavares leaving as it takes away the win now pressure of satisfying the star player's desire to go deep and the group can grow together. 

I don’t get how Isles fans believe his leaving was a sudden thing that the team was somehow not aware of being a possibility. The lack of a signed extension should have had them working on plan B months ago. 

• Like 1