Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GoalForFun

Quick question: low profile shoulder pads

I'm in the market for new shoulder pads and I wanted people's thoughts on the lowest profile shoulder pads on the market. I'm currently using old Easton Synergys and the shoulder caps are pretty bulky. I wanted a pair that had the shoulder caps sit lower (while still offering the same degree of protection). I went to HM and tried on the CCM FT1 and Bauer Supreme 1S shoulder pads but the caps were still a little big for my taste. I would have liked to try the Vapor 1X but they didn't have any more in stock (thanks to that Bauer sale). I saw this old thread but I was wondering if there was anything more up to date.

Does anyone have any recommendations for low-profile shoulder pads?

Edited by GoalForFun

@GoalForFun give these a shot.

https://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipment/hockey-protective/senior-protective/senior-shoulder-pads/easton-hockey-shoulder-pad-pro-10-sr.html#myGallery_238028 

If you can find them, the Stealth’s might be worth a look as well. I wear the C 7.0 and they are very low profile.

Edited by stick9

39 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

While very low profile, they probably don’t offer the same protection as the old Synergy shoulder pads he has 🙂

I don’t know if you can still get them, but Eagle made or  possibly still makes a very nice shoulder pad that nods to the old Sherwood shoulder pad with upgraded materials. They were popular in the NHL with players that liked a lower profile shoulder pad at one point. You may be able to snag a pair new pretty cheaply.

Custom version of this has a choice of small or large caps: https://eaglehockey.com/products/shoulder-pads/talon-200-custom-pro-shouder-pad/

I have the older Talon Pro and the caps are not huge. 

Edited by bunnyman666

3 hours ago, JSK81 said:

While very low profile, they probably don’t offer the same protection as the old Synergy shoulder pads he has 🙂

LOL I missed the "same degree of protection" part. Whoops! 

1X won’t be any lower profile than Supremes, in fact the caps are quite thick and big. I had the Easton pro 10 shoulders and they’re very close to the Supremes.

CCM U+ pros are probably the lowest profile high end pads out there, they can still be found on Ebay occasionally.

I’m currently using the QLTs and I like them a lot.

5 hours ago, JSK81 said:

1X won’t be any lower profile than Supremes, in fact the caps are quite thick and big. I had the Easton pro 10 shoulders and they’re very close to the Supremes.

CCM U+ pros are probably the lowest profile high end pads out there, they can still be found on Ebay occasionally.

I’m currently using the QLTs and I like them a lot.

I second that on the QLTs. Very light-weight, I don't find the shoulder caps intrusive at all. You barely notice your wearing these pads on the ice. And with the FT1's now on the market, you'll probably find the QLTs on clearance for half the price. 

I would also suggest looking at the X900 Lite shoulder pads. I was going to get FT1s and once I tried on the X900 I couldn't not go for them.

4 hours ago, Hills said:

I would also suggest looking at the X900 Lite shoulder pads. I was going to get FT1s and once I tried on the X900 I couldn't not go for them.

I'll agree with this.  The shoulder caps on the X900 aren't as round as the 1X, so they lie more flat.  

And I haven't seen them in person yet, the the new 1X Lite looks to have caps that are attached at more of an angle which makes them lie almost completely flat across the top of the shoulders.

I have been on the same quest, and just ordered the Shield Shoulder Pads from Verbero. I'll update once I get them, see if their profile is truly non-linebacker, and if the protection is still decent.

https://www.verbero.com/collections/protective/products/shield-shoulder

I heard the STX Surgeon line has minimalist shoulder pads. They're on clearance now.

If you want to wait, I think the new line of STX Surgeon protective are probably releasing soon. Some guy on Sidelineswap listed this a while ago: https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/shoulder-shin-guards-elbow-pads/334604-other-brands-new-stx-surgeon-rx3-1-senior-large

Thankfully, looks like STX is changing the color scheme to blue and black. White shoulder pads will turn brown in half a year.

On 6/17/2018 at 7:50 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I have these and I have modded them by sewing in Farrell padding.  More than enough protection.  Low profile and really mobile./. Took some work tho.

• Like 1

My only experience is with bauer 1s, 1x lite, and 2016 x900. I found the 1x lite to have the best fiting shoulder cap but the sternum and spine protection to be bulky. The x900 were not bad but overall found the 1s to best best all around low profile fit for me.