Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
z1ggy

Low kick stick with stiffest blade

Did a quick search and seems the QRL might fit the bill? I've been away from these forums for over a year so I don't know what the latest gear news is. I currently switch between a RBZ and a Warrior DT4 LT. I'm looking for something that combines both these sticks into one; the really firm/stiff blade of the CCM stick but the low kick and pop of the Warrior. I'm more of a snap shot guy and the CCM doesn't work well for me there but passing and stick handling is much better.

Last time I was in the forums some guys suggested the Ribcor stick but I don't think CCM had my pattern at the time.

Yes I read your review, seems very promising. Do you think model one step down will have the same feel? Not sure I can throw down $270 on a stick right now unfortunately (only playing men's league).

Edit: Also, does the overall flex of the stick (75 vs 85) effect how stiff the blade will be & feel?

Edited by z1ggy

1 hour ago, iameric said:

The qr edge coming out next month has a nice stiff blade with a ton of pop, try giving that a try

It’s not the stiffest I’ve ever used, I would say the APX2’s blade was stiffer. Haven’t used any newe Vapor stick since then but I’d imagine the 1X1.0 had a stiffer blade.

The W/P28, I don't think that the Reebok had the exact copy Warrior/Easton had which was a slightly lower lie angle. Bauer's/CCM's I thought at the time was a 6 lie, which is a touch too high. I skate really low to the ground and I'm also only 5' 9'', so I tend to prefer low lie angles if I can help it. Maybe I was wrong..?

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

The W/P28, I don't think that the Reebok had the exact copy Warrior/Easton had which was a slightly lower lie angle. Bauer's/CCM's I thought at the time was a 6 lie, which is a touch too high. I skate really low to the ground and I'm also only 5' 9'', so I tend to prefer low lie angles if I can help it. Maybe I was wrong..?

Though it was listed as a "6", the lie on a Bauer P28 is one of the lowest they offer.  It's on par with a P88 or a P92L5.  The only retail curve that is lower is probably the PM9. I can't speak for sure on a CCM P28, but their P30 is very low also.

Edited by psulion22

Awesome, well I will see how my current Warrior holds up and if I'm still not satisfied I'll see if I can scrape together some funds for one of the higher end Warrior or Vapor sticks. As stiff and crisp as the RBZ is, my snapper is really suffering with it.

You don’t need to spend $270.00 on a stick. I use top of the line sticks in pro Stock or retail. eBay, sidelineswap, sports2k or dkhockey.com. Brand new, pro Stock or retail. Whatever you need you can find there between $75-150 tops. 

Check  prostockhockey.com . I picked up a couple of pro stock Warrior QRL sticks there on sale for $89 each, they are $109 now.They had about 6 different curves to pick from, including some pretty wicked how can this be legal ones. 

8 minutes ago, Trackweapon said:

Check  prostockhockey.com . I picked up a couple of pro stock Warrior QRL sticks there on sale for $89 each, they are $109 now.They had about 6 different curves to pick from, including some pretty wicked how can this be legal ones. 

Make sure you call and verify that they are T3QR Build sticks or they are not QRLs

Prostockhockey is notorious for missing dressed sticks or listing them as the same even though the same player has multiple builds in the same batch. Buddy ordered two of the “same” Yakupov QRL 75 Flex sticks and one came as a T3QR (QRL) and the other was a T4QR which is a one piece mid kick. 

Edited by 60PlusWinger

On 7/6/2018 at 10:27 AM, 60PlusWinger said:

Make sure you call and verify that they are T3QR Build sticks or they are not QRLs

Hey thanks I will check them out. Are they brand new or used by a pro for a practice then discarded? I've always ordered new from like Hockeymonkey or something so this is new to me.

10 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Hey thanks I will check them out. Are they brand new or used by a pro for a practice then discarded? I've always ordered new from like Hockeymonkey or something so this is new to me.

They are samples, batches made that got used and these are leftovers etc. new sticks not used. Made for the player. Often times players start  the season at a higher flex and get lower as the season progresses. Not always the case but sometimes 

Has the lie measuring system changed in the past few years? I noticed most of the pro stock stuff here

is 6 or 6.5 lie. I'm a bit shorter and I also like to skate low to the ground so I tend to like a lower lie stick. I know back in the day warrior measured it a little differently, so when I was using the old W28 pattern, it was labeled as a lie of 4 (probably close to 5 compared to something like a Crosby which was like 5.5 or something). Is it because a lot of these guys are pretty tall and need a more upright stick?

That particular prostock website seems to not have any of the T3QR in stock like you suggested with the exception of maybe just one.

39 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

Has the lie measuring system changed in the past few years? I noticed most of the pro stock stuff here

is 6 or 6.5 lie. I'm a bit shorter and I also like to skate low to the ground so I tend to like a lower lie stick. I know back in the day warrior measured it a little differently, so when I was using the old W28 pattern, it was labeled as a lie of 4 (probably close to 5 compared to something like a Crosby which was like 5.5 or something). Is it because a lot of these guys are pretty tall and need a more upright stick?

That particular prostock website seems to not have any of the T3QR in stock like you suggested with the exception of maybe just one.

Take their “lie” with a grain of salt those guys aren’t exactly on top of their game. 

I see. That kind of stinks because I really do like that lower lie. I guess I'd have to risk it and just buy and hope that I like it... I'm pretty sure though all the W28/E28 patterns (retail at least) work for me. Can the pro's specify to the OEM a different lie than what is normally produced in the factory? Some of these deals I'm seeing on pro stock is pretty awesome though, thanks again. 

34 minutes ago, z1ggy said:

I see. That kind of stinks because I really do like that lower lie. I guess I'd have to risk it and just buy and hope that I like it... I'm pretty sure though all the W28/E28 patterns (retail at least) work for me. Can the pro's specify to the OEM a different lie than what is normally produced in the factory? Some of these deals I'm seeing on pro stock is pretty awesome though, thanks again. 

Dkhockey.com is a good place to look. They read codes well and label the stick as it’s Build not it’s paint job. Pro Stock hockey has a lot of crazy customs but if you want consistency stick with NCAA builds because often times they aren’t allowed to do crazy mods and custom curves just flex, pattern from a list of options, textures and colors unless they’re a stud and then are allowed to go full custom. 

I see, thanks. Yeah I went to dkhockey but I wasn't a fan of the website because there was no filtering options so I have to manually scroll through and look at each one. The prostock website has a really good filtering system... I also think DK measures the sticks differently than everybody else because I am seeing a lot of 65 and 66'' sticks... From what I can tell, 66'' is "stock" which would be equal to what places like hockeymonkey, etc consider to be 60''.

1 hour ago, z1ggy said:

I see, thanks. Yeah I went to dkhockey but I wasn't a fan of the website because there was no filtering options so I have to manually scroll through and look at each one. The prostock website has a really good filtering system... I also think DK measures the sticks differently than everybody else because I am seeing a lot of 65 and 66'' sticks... From what I can tell, 66'' is "stock" which would be equal to what places like hockeymonkey, etc consider to be 60''.

Are you trying to find the right stick or are you playing hockey with the filtering option? 

I ended up calling DK... Great guys over there. I am either grabbing this 1X Lite   or this Trigger 2. Do you guys have experience with either? From reviews I've read, they are both top notch. Was hoping to stick with Warrior but they didn't have anything in stock that matched what I was looking for.