Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Help Me Design My Next Set

I’m trying to figure out a good custom graphic for my next set. It has to be a custom graphic because the glove, blocker, and pads may all be coming from different companies so I can’t use any stock graphics.

Our uniforms are Chicago blackhawks red and id love to integrate that somehow. The Scott Darling sock graphic would be easy and look sharp, but may still be a bit plain for me. 

jp8Gvdi.jpg
0VnEVIj.jpg

I also considered doing a throwback to Ed Belfour’s old pads with the vertical black/white striping but that may be over the top. Something in between would probably be ideal. 

xeOEpFF.png

I’m undecided regarding knee rolls. I do think they make pads look better but if a graphic wouldn’t work with them then I’m totally okay skipping them.

any suggestions/ideas?

I saw a set that was the Brian's Halak claws with the sock graphic in the torn areas.  It looked pretty good.  What about something like that, but even the Belfour vertical stripes in it?  Or you could take the Darling idea where the sock graphic is only partial, but make it one diagonal line all the way across like the G4 pad and do vertical stripes in the area below the stripe.  You could do something with contrast like solid red above the diagonal line, and the black and white stripes below it.

Edited by psulion22

Or possibly Hellberg's vertical stripe design (sorry for the bad pic, it's the best I could find that was able to be linked and wasn't blocked at work)

cut.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Or possibly Hellberg's vertical stripe design (sorry for the bad pic, it's the best I could find that was able to be linked and wasn't blocked at work)

I was actually playing with something like this in photoshop. I was playing with the stripe widths. Ultimately would probably try to make them 1" stripes like what's on the jerseys, so they're a bit big still in this mockup. 

UcnKcH3.png

I think if you are going with the Hellberg graphic, or anything modern, then you need to ditch the knee rolls.  If you are dead set on having knee rolls, you have to go with a throwback graphic that would have been around when pads had knee rolls, like that Belfour design.  But if you're doing that, then change the colors up or something.  Don't make it an exact copy, unless Belfour is your all time favorite goalie.

Edited by psulion22

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

I think if you are going with the Hellberg graphic, or anything modern, then you need to ditch the knee rolls.  If you are dead set on having knee rolls, you have to go with a throwback graphic that would have been around when pads had knee rolls, like that Belfour design.  But if you're doing that, then change the colors up or something.  Don't make it an exact copy, unless Belfour is your all time favorite goalie.

I agree on both points. Definitely don’t mix retro and modern, that’s for sure. 

More likely modern than retro though unless I do something classic like the Brian’s heritage. But Passau I’m sure won’t make gloves with that graphic so that’s a no-go.

I dunno. I’m hoping to either find or see something that catches my eye as inspiration. I don’t want to go over the top red either. 

On 7/24/2018 at 8:41 PM, SirJW said:

First thing I thought with the vertical striping is it looks like a ref jersey. 

It does, but I think that's just because on the screen the red looks more orange. 

I like the Darling option, but I'm not sure how I feel about the sock graphic being medial vs. lateral.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

What about instead of the sock graphic, I use the jersey bottom hem?

pads3d.png.1b45912a5ea900213f4014235cc85

Oooh that looks classy.  Simple, but striking. Could the stitching on the front red segment be white, for visual interest?  

I like that idea.  And if you go this route, since it's so clean, you could maybe add the jersey logo to the top of both thighs without having to really worry about it being on the gloves as well.  Putting Ackbar's eye on the top instead of the Brian's eye would be pretty funny too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hills said:

You are going Brian's for your next set?

Leg pads probably. Gloves will be Passau. That’s why I need the custom graphic so I can have both companies do the same graphic. I may go Passau for leg pads too despite the issues I’ve had.

Bottom hem graphic looks great. 

BTW I think red is a good choice for the pads as it draws the shooters eye to them and the hem graphic might fool the shooter to shoot for the five hole. 

Edited by SirJW
  • Like 1

BTW I think red is a good choice for the pads as it draws the shooters eye to them and the hem graphic might fool the shooter to shoot for the five hole. 

4 hours ago, badger_14 said:

Oooh that looks classy.  Simple, but striking. Could the stitching on the front red segment be white, for visual interest?  

More likely black. Having black lacing makes more sense since it’s going to end up black anyway.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Davideo said:

I like the jersey bottom hem as well. Maybe add some red to the inside edge? Looks a little plain with it all black.

It does, but you don’t really see that part anyway. Also more black equals more quick whistles 😉 

3 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yeah man the more I look at it the more I like it. The fact that nobody has said it’s ugly certainly helps too!

The hem idea is fresh, for certain!

• Like 1