Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ParabolicActivity

The new STX Surgeon RX3 gear is out.

1 hour ago, alien7364 said:

Because IW's videos get a fair bit of eyes and Chase and Dan have done product insight videos before. Not sure about STX's West Coast distribution either, but IW could make a good partner.

You give demo products to the bigger retailers like Pure, Monkey, whoever is big in Canada so customers can actually touch the gear.

That’s really not how retail works lol...

Even if STX paid IW a million bucks for a video, it would only confuse IW customers who’ll ask them why they can’t find the reviewer products on their website. 

STX can and should get massive video reviews via influencer marketing on YouTube, IG and especially forums like this where there are high converting customers. 

1 hour ago, ParabolicActivity said:

Yeah. They're going to need to find reputable folks to give sticks out to for the sake of videos. I know Coach Jeremy and Pavel Barber charge like a trillion dollars just to mention a product but I am sure it pays off. 

I honestly dont think they charge very much to review products. They likely make most of their money from people watching the videos of them reviewing products hoping for an unbiased review. Like how Tyler 'Ninja' Blevins plays Fortnite on Twitch and make 500k a month..... Makes me wonder where I went wrong in life when people like him a PewDiePie make so much money doing literally nothing at all. Sigh. 

Edited by Nicholas G

14 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

Just placed an order for an RX3 about 2 hours ago.

Between the price point, 20% off, and free shipping, it seemed like a no brainer. 

Excited for the new direction STX is taking. 

I placed an order for every Surgeon item to take a look at. I am very interested if STX will still do team sales or custom orders in bulk? 

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

I honestly dont think they charge very much to review products. They likely make most of their money from people watching the videos of them reviewing products hoping for an unbiased review. Like how Tyler 'Ninja' Blevins plays Fortnite on Twitch and make 500k a month..... Makes me wonder where I went wrong in life when people like him a PewDiePie make so much money doing literally nothing at all. Sigh. 

It should be around $2500-3000 for Pavel Barber to do a dedicated video review of the new Surgeon stick. Negotiations can bring that up depending on how experienced he is. If should also include cross-channel content (IG stories, posts, etc.) in the package. For a niche channel like Pavel's who generates 40-50k views per video, that would be a competitive rate. The rates of Ninja and Pewdiepie would be on a totally different level.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, Nicholas G said:

Where can I find more information on the custom stick order program? We have quite a few teams that would be very interested in this. 

Nicholas G if you could provide me with your email I will make sure one of our Ignite Rep reaches out to walk you through the program.  

9 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I placed an order for every Surgeon item to take a look at. I am very interested if STX will still do team sales or custom orders in bulk? 

Nicolas G we would love to do Team Sales and Custom orders! send us your email and we can walk you through our new offerings.  

10 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

There was a discussion on another site a few months back where someone was talking about the astounding asking price of getting one of those guys to mention a new sock they were producing.  I am sure STX can pay it and I am equally sure it will pay off. The thing is that they sold a lot of RX2 sticks by people just picking them up in the store. There's now I got my first one. I picked it up and went 'oh wow'. The new pricing helps quite a bit but we all know hockey players are weird about new stuff. So they will want in depth videos.

As an aside, does anyone know if the PureGrip shaft has ever been used in the NHL? I have watched several different rounds of clips of guys with RX2s and all the NHL guys seem to be using normal dimensions.

2 hours ago, ParabolicActivity said:

There was a discussion on another site a few months back where someone was talking about the astounding asking price of getting one of those guys to mention a new sock they were producing.  I am sure STX can pay it and I am equally sure it will pay off. The thing is that they sold a lot of RX2 sticks by people just picking them up in the store. There's now I got my first one. I picked it up and went 'oh wow'. The new pricing helps quite a bit but we all know hockey players are weird about new stuff. So they will want in depth videos.

As an aside, does anyone know if the PureGrip shaft has ever been used in the NHL? I have watched several different rounds of clips of guys with RX2s and all the NHL guys seem to be using normal dimensions.

While I like the feel of the stick shape I disliked everything else about the RX2. Just being honest. It seems though that all of my issues were rectified in the RX3. Now if I could get all manufacturers to listen to feedback we would be good to go 😉

The RX2 kick point was the shit IMO. Truely variable. I would be super excited to see what has changed on the RX3 but no X9 curve. We will see what the deal is with custom sticks but I would say it is very unlikely I purchase any more STX sticks. I still have one in each price point of the RX2 though so I really don't need one anyway.

On 8/15/2018 at 2:03 AM, 218hockey said:

What are the construction/feature differences between the Senior and Junior RX3 sticks? How about the Junior lies? Are they different than what's listed on the chart?

@STXHockey I'm also interested in knowing this. How are the junior blades different than the senior blades?  Are they the same lie as the senior blades, are they shorter in length than the senior blades?

22 hours ago, ParabolicActivity said:

Yes - Boucher uses the Puregrip and a handful of other players have requested it. 

On 8/15/2018 at 1:27 PM, alien7364 said:

Didn't get anything.

Is Chase going to get his hands on this sweet new gear to review? @IW Team - Chase

They flew us out to Baltimore to shoot insight videos, we shot on-ice reviews and even RX2 vs. RX3 comparison videos but its safe to say we won't be releasing them. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, IW Team - Chase said:

They flew us out to Baltimore to shoot insight videos, we shot on-ice reviews and even RX2 vs. RX3 comparison videos but its safe to say we won't be releasing them. 

Because they made you experience Baltimore or because they are selling direct?

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, ParabolicActivity said:

A little column A, a little column B. In all seriousness, I was bummed to find out the DTC news because I was excited about the RX3 Line. 

24 minutes ago, ParabolicActivity said:

LOL I'll never forget my first trip to Baltimore.  Walked around the Inner Harbor to get dinner, then when done I didn't go down to the water (walked along the street.) Got back to the hotel and put on the news and if I would've walked along the water on my way back I would've been on there, because a dead body had just washed ashore.

That all said, one of my favorite cities!

• Like 3

...you can't both compliment STX on "great pricing" for being direct to consumer, and then turn around and say "missed opportunity" for not selling in stores as having stores review them. 

You can't have both. Gotta pick one. 

• Like 5

On 8/14/2018 at 5:09 PM, STXHockey said:

I love the X9 but unfortunately, when we were selling the RX/RX2 the X9 was not as popular as the X28, X92, and X88.  I wish we could offer more curves, but since we are offering a more affordable pricing structure we had to cut back on our SKUs.  I personally use the X91.  If you are interested in the X9 we do offer a very aggressive custom stick program.  The custom stick program is less expensive then our competitors Elite level sticks.  I can dive into this program for you if you are interested.  

One of my favorite sticks of all time was the original STX Surgeon 500 Stick. Is there a way to make a stick like that with your guy's custom program?

8 hours ago, start_today said:

...you can't both compliment STX on "great pricing" for being direct to consumer, and then turn around and say "missed opportunity" for not selling in stores as having stores review them. 

You can't have both. Gotta pick one. 

Pretty sure they could still keep the pricing fairly low by taking orders on the big online sites.

Because all they would be doing is selling on another website, the orders would still go through them just like they were bought in their store. They would have to pay some royalties to have their products featured, but the products could still be priced competitively. More exposure could help their brand grow beyond word of mouth and any social media promotion.

You would think selling direct they could offer more curves because they don't have to produce massive amounts of rach curve. Maybe a consideration for future generations. 

As much as a lot of what STX is doing feels weird, it could turn out pretty sweet too. We all love going to the LHS and I hate when they struggle, but at the same time more direct sales could totally change how gear is bought. Maybe when you go to buy a stick you could have a ton of patterns and lie's to choose from. Or custom fitting more gear than just skates. Or even just simply lower cost.

34 minutes ago, ParabolicActivity said:

You would think selling direct they could offer more curves because they don't have to produce massive amounts of rach curve. Maybe a consideration for future generations. 

As much as a lot of what STX is doing feels weird, it could turn out pretty sweet too. We all love going to the LHS and I hate when they struggle, but at the same time more direct sales could totally change how gear is bought. Maybe when you go to buy a stick you could have a ton of patterns and lie's to choose from. Or custom fitting more gear than just skates. Or even just simply lower cost.

BASE has been doing that with sticks. Problem with cutting out the middle man is, how do you get a sense of the product before you buy it? Word of mouth, trying teammates’ stuff out; then that’s the chicken and the egg problem, only a little different this time since they were previously stocked by shops, both B+M and online.