Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ParabolicActivity

The new STX Surgeon RX3 gear is out.

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

From what I recall from scattered posts is the problem with pursuing Graf in that way is it wasn’t a brand acquisition but a liscensing of the brand so it couldn’t be folded in under the any new brand’s roof. Graf-CH is still the parent company.

Ah, makes sense. I would figure they could bring them in as "Warrior by Graf" or something like that to keep the name but let people know that they were Graf skates or at the very least buy the equipment so they could make their own unique skates. 

3 hours ago, CigarScott said:

Ah, makes sense. I would figure they could bring them in as "Warrior by Graf" or something like that to keep the name but let people know that they were Graf skates or at the very least buy the equipment so they could make their own unique skates. 

Like you mentioned earlier, given that Warrior’s owned by New Balance, there’s a lot of footwear know-how in the greater corporate group. My thought has been, if the interest equation were in favor of doing it, Warrior would go ahead. Regardless of which direction they wanted to go, they could jump in the market and do ok with their investment. Even if they wanted to acquire a different small speed skate company to fold their IP into these hypothetical new skates, they could afford to do that. The fact that they haven’t makes me think the numbers really just don’t add up in that direction.

PS—sorry for contributing to taking this so far off topic!

PPSS—the new RX3 gloves have my interest 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BlueNux said:

What tape are you using for that blue top knob? Is it some special grippy tape?

Looks like regular blue gauze or stretch grip tape.

3 hours ago, BlueNux said:

What tape are you using for that blue top knob? Is it some special grippy tape?

Its just blue stretch/grip tape. I use regular white tape under it to form a small knob at the top.  Then tape over it, and down the shaft with the grip tape. 

Initial impressions of the sticks were good. I didn't fall in love with either after the first skate. However, they definitely felt good. 

Some positives were definitely the puck feel and how light and well balanced each stick was. Looking forward to using them again tonight. 

Got my RX3 gloves, elbows, and shins today. Have to say I'm just as pleased with the gear as I though I would be. The finish of the gear is top notch, just had one thread on the shins I had to trim (it was too long, no evidence of pulled out stitching). Tags all pulled out easily. The fit of the gloves and elbows are great. It's brand new, but already feels pretty good when stick handling. Tons of motion but no worries about protection. The hyper extension thumb protection is the best I have seen. The hex cell wrap is really form fitting and protective. The sleeve in the elbow pads is not loose, but it isn't tight enough it cuts off circulation and provides discomfort. The end of the gloves and the elbows meet up very well.

https://imgur.com/fbhFrir

https://imgur.com/kX3fRsb

The palms and the super fabric on the gloves is nice, but there is no getting around how it seems slightly abrasive and I am worried that overtime it could wear away at my stick. Super fabric is used in some motorcycle gear and some people have complained about it scratching their bikes. Also not stoked on all the small STX logos, just kind of makes the gloves seem cluttered and like the company is trying too hard to plaster their name. All gloves have thumb logos, but I think the RX3 logo would have looked better here. The small STX on the index finger just looks out of place and I'm going to try and black it out. The side of the palm is whatever but it would look cleaner without it.

https://imgur.com/43QcETk

The shins are not bad. The shell provides great coverage and the liner is very comfortable. Strapped up they are very secure. Now I do have humongous baloon calves, even when I'm in great shape (right now I'm slightly overweight and losing), but I do wish for longer straps and more wrap anyways. The side wraps are good coverage, but I would prefer more. If you can see in the one picture, the rectangular stitching is the velco hooks. Had to really crank the strap to get the uncomfortable velcro off my leg, and there is still a bit there. I am worried that having to crank the straps could over stress them. I almost wish I could have the shell/liner of a 15" but the calf wraps and straps of a 16". @STXHockey if you're reading this, I would buy that product right away, perhaps call it a size + (size 15"+ size equals 15"shell/16" calves, etc.).

https://imgur.com/5OO1HaP

https://imgur.com/tKXanes

Weights are as follows (weighed each piece and averaged, compare each weight for consistency):

Elbows SR LG - R 245g, L 250g - 5g difference

Gloves 14" - R 295g, L 292g - 3g difference

Shins 15"  - R 650g, L 660g - 10g difference 😐

Edited by alien7364
Weights
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, alien7364 said:

Got my RX3 gloves, elbows, and shins today. Have to say I'm just as pleased with the gear as I though I would be. The finish of the gear is top notch, just had one thread on the shins I had to trim (it was too long, no evidence of pulled out stitching). Tags all pulled out easily. The fit of the gloves and elbows are great. It's brand new, but already feels pretty good when stick handling. Tons of motion but no worries about protection. The hyper extension thumb protection is the best I have seen. The hex cell wrap is really form fitting and protective. The sleeve in the elbow pads is not loose, but it isn't tight enough it cuts off circulation and provides discomfort. The end of the gloves and the elbows meet up very well.

https://imgur.com/fbhFrir

https://imgur.com/kX3fRsb

The palms and the super fabric on the gloves is nice, but there is no getting around how it seems slightly abrasive and I am worried that overtime it could wear away at my stick. Super fabric is used in some motorcycle gear and some people have complained about it scratching their bikes. Also not stoked on all the small STX logos, just kind of makes the gloves seem like the company is trying too hard. All gloves have thumb logos, but I think the RX3 logo would have looked better here. The small STX on the index finger just looks out of place, and the side of the palm is whatever but it would look better without it.

https://imgur.com/43QcETk

The shins are not bad. The shell provides great coverage and the liner is very comfortable. Strapped up they are very secure. Now I do have humongous baloon calves, but I do wish for longer straps and more wrap. The side wraps are good coverage, but I would prefer more. If you can see in the one picture, the rectangular stitching is the velco hooks. Had to really crank the strap to get the uncomfortable velcro off my leg, and there is still a bit there. I am worried that having the crank some of the straps could over stress them. I almost wish I could have the shell/liner of a 15" but the calf wraps and straps of a 16". STX if you're reading this, I would buy that product right away, perhaps call it a size + (size 15"+ size equals 15"shell/16" calves, etc.).

https://imgur.com/5OO1HaP

https://imgur.com/tKXanes

Really good to know. I, too, have humongous calves. I don't know why. Every other part of my body is cookie cutter standard, but my calves are huge and the calf raise machines were always easy. I wish instead of being naturally gifted with calves, I had huge glutes or hamstrings lol.

Anyway, even my Tacks shin guards have trouble with the big strap wrapping around. I'm still wishing for minimalist shin guards I can wear underneath skating pants for pond hockey.

I'm gonna wait for the shoulder pad review. I'm thinking about those and the elbows. My current elbows always slide down by the end of games and it's so annoying.

• Like 1

I didn't get the shoulder pads, but someone here probably has. They look great, but I'd like if they wrapped the torso with the hex foam more similar to S190 pads (coincidentally looking at those to go on sale). Wish they kept the torso strap covers too.

No worries about the elbows moving, especially while wearing my Shock Doctor shirt with the sleeve lock.

Edited by alien7364

4 minutes ago, adam14 said:

thanks for the pics! instantly turned off with the sleeve interior.

2 minutes ago, ParabolicActivity said:

Yeah that's a fuck no.

What do you guys not like about the sleeve?

I've been using the RX3 for about a dozen games now.

Anyone else find it whippier than other sticks with comparable flex ratings? Maybe it feels that way to me because it's really light and balanced well.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:48 PM, BlueNux said:

What do you guys not like about the sleeve?

For what it’s worth, I’m less annoyed with the sleeve than I originally thought I’d be, although I’m not one of the quoted people. Didn’t look too much into it, but I fee it can be removed fairly easy 

I am about to pull the trigger on a pair of hbr elbow pads. My issue is sizing.  I have a medium pair of older vapors that are mediums and a pair of large nexus.  The nexus are to big the vapors are fine in length but could use a little more volume. Any input.  I am about 5'7 185ish

On 8/24/2018 at 6:28 PM, alien7364 said:

The shins are not bad. The shell provides great coverage and the liner is very comfortable. Strapped up they are very secure. Now I do have humongous baloon calves, even when I'm in great shape (right now I'm slightly overweight and losing), but I do wish for longer straps and more wrap anyways. The side wraps are good coverage, but I would prefer more. If you can see in the one picture, the rectangular stitching is the velco hooks. Had to really crank the strap to get the uncomfortable velcro off my leg, and there is still a bit there. I am worried that having to crank the straps could over stress them. I almost wish I could have the shell/liner of a 15" but the calf wraps and straps of a 16". @STXHockey if you're reading this, I would buy that product right away, perhaps call it a size + (size 15"+ size equals 15"shell/16" calves, etc.).

Any more thoughts on the shins after wearing them a bit?  I have 2 sets of RBK/JOFA shins that I love but they're just freaking huge and I've loved the rest of the stx stuff I've had and was thinking about pulling the trigger on the RX3 shins.  

On 1/30/2019 at 7:16 PM, jmiro said:

I am about to pull the trigger on a pair of hbr elbow pads. My issue is sizing.  I have a medium pair of older vapors that are mediums and a pair of large nexus.  The nexus are to big the vapors are fine in length but could use a little more volume. Any input.  I am about 5'7 185ish

Are you planning to order the Surgeon or the Stallion EP's? The Stallion HPR pads are a bit longer (and they have a removable slash guard at the high end). The pads are 3 piece design - so they are going to fit a little more like the VAPORS (they won't have the volume of the Nexus pads). but depending on how big your forearms or biceps are you might be on the upper end of the fit range for the MED - would you say you have overly large forearms or biceps?

I got the stallions hpr 1.1.  I got mediums.  They fit good out the box. They are more mobile out the box then my old high end vapors that at broke in.  Biceps could be a little larger.  At the level i play anymore i am more concerned with a random fall than a slash.  That being said the length is perfect.  Volume could be a little more.  I have a "game" tonight.  I'll update this.  That being said I contacted St x regarding my fit concern.  They said they had no problem creating a return slip for me if they didn't fit.  

UPDATE: Super pleased with the preformance.  I gotta say as advertised didn't slip.  Super comfortable and flexible. As far as elbow pads go this is as close as i have flet to wearing nothing.  No pinching or binding. I honestly dig the the sleeve. The bicep strap is a moot point for me with the sleeve.  The sleeve keeps it plenty tight enough up top. I will probably just tack it to the sleeve as it holds some of the pad in place so I don't see cutting it off as an option.

Edited by jmiro
Update

19 hours ago, jmiro said:

I got the stallions hpr 1.1.  I got mediums.  They fit good out the box. They are more mobile out the box then my old high end vapors that at broke in.  Biceps could be a little larger.  At the level i play anymore i am more concerned with a random fall than a slash.  That being said the length is perfect.  Volume could be a little more.  I have a "game" tonight.  I'll update this.  That being said I contacted St x regarding my fit concern.  They said they had no problem creating a return slip for me if they didn't fit.  

UPDATE: Super pleased with the preformance.  I gotta say as advertised didn't slip.  Super comfortable and flexible. As far as elbow pads go this is as close as i have flet to wearing nothing.  No pinching or binding. I honestly dig the the sleeve. The bicep strap is a moot point for me with the sleeve.  The sleeve keeps it plenty tight enough up top. I will probably just tack it to the sleeve as it holds some of the pad in place so I don't see cutting it off as an option.

Nice!! That's really great to hear!