Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ParabolicActivity

The new STX Surgeon RX3 gear is out.

6 hours ago, Doug said:

Sorry for bringing this topic back up. Is anyone using or has tried out the RX3 shoulder pads? Looking at buying them, but wondering about fit and how close it is to the size chart. I'm 6'1, 180lbs, 41" chest, which should place me in a large, but in my past experience that isn't always the case. Anyone have any gripes with them? How long are the biceps? I'm used to them coming down to my elbow pads, but some shoulders I've tried leave a bit of a gap there. Thanks!

I use them and love them. I am a very picky person when it comes to shoulder pads, I hate wearing them but refuse to play without them since I would prefer to not get hurt. The RX3 are the only shoulder pads, other than the new TRUE XC9, that i really like a lot. They are light, flexible, breathe well, and offer good protection without making me feel like I am wearing football pads. 

ordered a RX3 online after a buddy of mine got one. for the price I was curious to test this out. I went to their warehouse sale a few years ago here in Baltimore and they had tons of pro stock gloves and sticks. I missed it this year but will keep a eye out next year. retail sticks priced at 75$ and pro stocks about the same. I have also been chatting through twitter and facebook about the construction of some of their pro stock sticks, as I'm always interested who is trying what...etc. they are extremely open with info and I hope that keeps up.

about 2/3 years ago I was working next to a local rink and I stopped in mid day to get my skates sharpened, when STX was having a pro day and filmed a bunch of promo's with Vincent Trocheck, Trevor van Riemsdyk, and a few others. They all couldn't have been nicer and I asked Trocheck what stick he was using since it looked different then his normal one at the time ' rx2 '. He told me it was a new prototype for the RX3 build but not a final product.

Edited by bgdawg019

Has anyone used the Surgeon 3.1 or 3.2 level protective? In my life, I feel like the tier one or two down from the top usually serves me best. It’s hard for me to differentiate them on the STX page because it’s mostly jargon. 

2 hours ago, start_today said:

Has anyone used the Surgeon 3.1 or 3.2 level protective? In my life, I feel like the tier one or two down from the top usually serves me best. It’s hard for me to differentiate them on the STX page because it’s mostly jargon. 

Just the 3.1 elbows.  I like them, they fit and most importantly stay in place.  In normal play they are more than sufficient.  Forget to take your skate blankets off before the 6 am skate and run onto the ice to unceremoniously dump your full weight onto said elbow pads and all bets are off though....

I have the RX3 elbows and absolutely love them over single hinged elbows like my Bauer S190's. I like them so much I'm looking to get the 3.1's as a second set.

I really hope STX does there Black Friday deals again this year like last year.

I also like my RX3 orange palm gloves, but they are slightly restrictive in wrist movement compared to my CCM FT390's. 

@BenBreeg @Hills @BTSyndrome @bgdawg019

I've only tried the RX3 gear and never the RX3.1/RX3.2 items. Is there a significant difference between the RX3 and RX3.1? How are the RX3.2 items?

One of the guys I skate with is looking at grabbing some STX gear this weekend (shoulder pads, pants, elbows) since it's all on sale for 40% off. I imagine the main differences would be slightly more protection in the RX3 items vs RX3.1/RX3.2 and maybe better liners?

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

I just saw a Reddit thread where someone asked about RX3 vs 3.1, and someone from STX posted this:

Hey! Thanks for the love.

Here's the thing. Both pads are great. It all depends on your preference and what experience you are looking for.

The RX3 is our elite level pad. It includes the best foams and materials to make for a lightweight feel, while maintaining an elite level of protection.

The RX3.1 is for someone who may not care as much about a slight weight difference. Different foams and materials make the pad a bit heavier, but still allow for maximum mobility and protection.”

12 minutes ago, start_today said:

I just saw a Reddit thread where someone asked about RX3 vs 3.1, and someone from STX posted this:

Hey! Thanks for the love.

Here's the thing. Both pads are great. It all depends on your preference and what experience you are looking for.

The RX3 is our elite level pad. It includes the best foams and materials to make for a lightweight feel, while maintaining an elite level of protection.

The RX3.1 is for someone who may not care as much about a slight weight difference. Different foams and materials make the pad a bit heavier, but still allow for maximum mobility and protection.”

Perfect. That's what I thought. Thanks! 

I picked up 3.1 Shoulder, Elbows, and Shinguards around american thanksgiving. I was on the IR/COVID list for a bit, so I've only played two games with them. I'm 6'2", 185-190lbs, kinda thin build. I tend to be a medium in volume for most stuff, and a large in length, and often go the medium route. For all three sets of pads, once I put them on, I didn't think about them being new and didn't notice them while playing at all. My previous elbows and shoulder pads we probably 12ish years old. I've played with other stuff, and nothing felt as good as those. These, I like. Other new pads I've worn I keep readjusting during the game, until they eventually conform to my body. All of these felt like they fit my body right away, and I didn't find myself readjusting anything once I got on the ice. 

One thing I noticed when I first tried them on, it felt like all of the strapping was appropriate size for a medium. Because of my body size/shape, in other brands I often have shin and elbow straps as tight as they go, and I have trouble imagining what type of body would need the straps at maximum extension. It's like manufacturers create too much room to open up, but don't allow well for pads to tighten smaller. I don't have any of the straps on the tightest setting. Both the velcro attachment points and strap size means that if the straps start to stretch after a few years, I still have to room to play and retain the same tightness. That's not to say they have a shallow fit or super tight fit, I think STX was just more mindful of ways to design the velcro to offer more options on the smaller side.  

Shoulders(medium):

(Previous pads Mission fuel 90, M) These fit close, but not tight or awkward. For me, the fit was comfortable, but not ground breaking. Visually, I don't feel like they are anymore low-profile than my 12 year old Mission Fuel shoulders, but those seemed relatively low profile, to me. On a profile scale, the STX are much closer to 5030s than Douglass Defenders. Bicep straps are fixed on the pads, so there's no velcro. I've always set those straps then never undone them, so I like this. I just now noticed that the bicep guards are attached to the shoulder caps with velcro, so you can move those up and down as you want. There's a horizontal strap sewn into the should cap, then another thick nylon strap loops through that, and velcros to itself. This gives a little bit of play, which I think will keep the bicep pad centered on your arm, and offer more freedom of movement without sacrificing protection. Front has a hard plastic piece down the sternum, and firm foam to the sides of that. Back is firm foam down the spine, and softer foam to the sides. On the front and back, you essentially have three areas- rigid middle piece, foam to the side of that, and kidney/rib padding toward the bottom. They are attached to each other via well sewn neoprene, which I think offers a more flexible fit, rather than all being one or two pieces. It keeps all the pads close together, but gives enough flexibility that it doesn't feel restrictive. I do kinda worry about how that neoprene will hold up over years and years. Regardless of my mirror-test rambling above, these feel more low-profile than other pads, and fit snug to your body and move with it. 

Elbows (medium):

(Previous pads reebok 10k, M) The first thing you notice is the neoprene sleeve that your arm fits into, which effectively replaces a third strap. I was nervous about this, but after putting it on, didn't really think much about it. It is a full sleeve that your arm goes through. Before seeing them, I thought maybe it was just attached to the top, and your elbow rested on the pad the way traditional elbows do. The area under/around the sleeve does appear to be finished like a normal pad, so if you somehow ripped out the sleeve, it's not like your arm would be sitting against uncomfortable material. 

Fit was comfortable. The forearm strap runs 360 degrees around the whole forearm and secured with velcro, which I like. Felt like the strap really secured it evenly, as opposed to most pads which just pull the top pieces together. I think this strap will accommodate more arm types. Pads are hard plastic along the bottom and back, and firm foam towards the sides and top of the arm. I worry about the long term durability of the sleeve, but looking at the inside of the pad, you might be able to rip all of it and have the pad still function. Bicep strap and forearm strap seem secure enough that they can do all the heavy lifting in that scenario. 

Shins:

(Previous Pads: CCM QLT 290, 16") I bought 16" because I have longish legs and wear the pads over my tongues. They felt like they might be a touch longer than other 16". Padding around the edges and back feels more sturdy that on the QLTs I'm moving out of. Strapping on the calf is thick, and actually tightens enough around my calf. Calf strap is also wide enough that it won't create some weird obvious pressure on your leg. The strap that sits just below the knee is great. Similar to the elbows, the strap goes all the way around the shinguard, the same way tape would, so it provides a nice snug fit. You could also easily cut this strap off if you are one of those people. I do wish this strap attached a touch lower, the very top of the strap rests sort of on the back of my knee joint. But, everyone has different bodies and if it fit me perfectly, it might be too low on someone else. Flexibility and comfort are good. I do notice the top flap on my left pad catching on my pants. These are pretty thick foam, thicker than I've ever seen there. This is good for extra protection, but means I can't quickly bend/deform it to keep from snagging my pants. I assume it will break in. (I also suspect better skating form and sitting a little lower would help here. But that's another thread.) Padding in the knee seems good. I haven't taken a fall straight on them yet. There's both adequate padding in the shinguard, and the liner also has some padding in it that feels thicker than other pads. 

Edited by start_today
  • Like 1

Took advantage of their 50% sale this past week, getting the RX3 shins and RX3.1 shoulders, hoping I’ve found a good replacement for my aging Easton gear. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldCY said:

ditto...hoping for a gem here.

About to do the same. One question: Curious if anyone has thoughts on shoulder sizing (for the Surgeon RX3) for folks between sizes. I'm in the large in terms of height, but on the skinny size. Tempted to go with medium so I can take better advantage of the lower profile/form fitting features of the pads. I know this question came up earlier in the thread, so just checking back it.

13 minutes ago, bl4 said:

About to do the same. One question: Curious if anyone has thoughts on shoulder sizing (for the Surgeon RX3) for folks between sizes. I'm in the large in terms of height, but on the skinny size. Tempted to go with medium so I can take better advantage of the lower profile/form fitting features of the pads. I know this question came up earlier in the thread, so just checking back it.

Just for reference: son is 6’4” and wears medium ccm rbz 130. He is like 160 lbs. I think it has more to do w chest size than height for ideal fit. 

5 hours ago, bl4 said:

I have a review of the shoulders like 3 or 4 posts up. I’m in the same boat, and went medium. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, start_today said:

I have a review of the shoulders like 3 or 4 posts up. I’m in the same boat, and went medium. 

Many thanks!  I had assumed based on the review that you had gone w/the medium, but thanks for clarifying.  And, many thanks for all of the extremely helpful feedback on the STX gear overall

On 8/28/2021 at 2:03 PM, CTB said:

Took advantage of their 50% sale this past week, getting the RX3 shins and RX3.1 shoulders, hoping I’ve found a good replacement for my aging Easton gear. 

Gear arrived today so I was only able to try it on.

The shin pads feel really sturdy but not bulky. The calf wrap and the 360 strap really keep the pad in place. So far the only issue I see is the top flap above the knee is fairly rigid. When I bent my knees I notice the flap doesn’t tuck back in under the leg openings of my pants.  There’s also a fairly shallow kneecap donut hole compared to other pads I’ve used.  I don’t have any doubts about them being protective enough, but I have a beer league playoff game tomorrow night and might not want to use them in a “high stakes” game where I’m not 100% comfortable/familiar with them to use them just yet. 

The shoulder pads seem to fit well, I do kind of like how the bicep straps are fixed to the pad rather than with removable with Velcro, it will take a little bit of getting used to putting them on and off.  

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, CTB said:

I picked up a pair of the RX3 breezers.  They fit amazing well for me compared to the Tacks 7092 and NSX pants I had previously used.  Can't wait to get them out on the ice soon.

Picked up my third pair of the elbows and a halo stick to try out. Sale is great, after another discount code I found it was like 130 for both. 

On 9/1/2021 at 12:51 AM, CTB said:

The shin pads feel really sturdy but not bulky. The calf wrap and the 360 strap really keep the pad in place. So far the only issue I see is the top flap above the knee is fairly rigid. When I bent my knees I notice the flap doesn’t tuck back in under the leg openings of my pants.  There’s also a fairly shallow kneecap donut hole compared to other pads I’ve used.  I don’t have any doubts about them being protective enough, but I have a beer league playoff game tomorrow night and might not want to use them in a “high stakes” game where I’m not 100% comfortable/familiar with them to use them just yet.

Echo this sentiment.  That flap is very rigid! I tried them on with socks also to see if they would be held down a little more when actually playing.  It was like 50/50.  the socks have to be consistently tight throughout an entire game.  I like the pad but unfortunately I think I'll end up returning.  The RX3 stick is nice though.  good deal for 100$.

My 50% order arrived yesterday.  I had tried a pair of the Surgeon RX3 elbows, the RX3 shins, and the RX3 shoulder pads.

Initial thoughts:

Shipping was very fast, build quality on all the product seems quite good on first inspection, and sizing strikes me as consistent with the charts on the site (and also fairly consistent w/other manufacturers, which is huge given that there gear can't be tried on in stores).  That said, I have mixed feelings about the pads themselves.

Elbows: my favorite of the bunch. Quite flexible and more comfortable than anything I've tried on other than Warriors. And, unless I'm mistaken, they're a bit shorter than the Warriors, which is a plus for anyone worried about potential issues w/glove mobility. I particularly liked the 360 strap on the forearm, although I do have some worries about how the sleeve will hold up. 

Shoulders: These were the big disappointment for me.  I was hoping for something a bit more protective than 5030s or one of the "classic" pads, but that still was light, comfortable, and flexible. They were light and relatively low-profile, but I didn't find them particularly comfortable or flexible. Something about the way the shoulder caps were attached made it uncomfortable for me to raise my arms.

Shins: Unfortunately, these are going to be a return for me. They're light, relatively low-profile, and seem quite protective. Fit was solid, but to OldCY's post, the calf pads are massive. I have skinny calves, but the calf pads are huge and quite inflexible, so I only would recommend for folks w/larger calves or who would be untroubled by a pad that sticks out substantially in back. 

• Like 1

Am I missing something, or does the customer pay for shipping costs for traditional returns as well as the 14-day guarantee?  The site mentions a "full refund," but STX doesn't seem to provide a shipping label.  Thanks!