Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Novotnoa

Warrior Alpha AK27 SL

I was looking at clearance sticks and found this for $149 I read that it was a 400 gram stick. Does anyone has experience with this stick, I used a warrior Ax3lt some time ago and it was awful, the shaft would twist causing the blade to open up and be inaccurate. Maybe it was just my stick, but It also deteriorated quickly. Hoping this has been improved?

They’re a special run or limited run that uses the Alpha build model with the old AK graphics. I have two, great sticks! Not quite as good as the Alpha QX (though it’s lighter) but much better than the Alpha QX Pro. I thought they were a steal at $179 when they were released.

2 minutes ago, stick9 said:

They’re a special run or limited run that uses the Alpha build model with the old AK graphics. I have two, great sticks! Not quite as good as the Alpha QX (though it’s lighter) but much better than the Alpha QX Pro. I thought they were a steal at $179 when they were released.

What makes them worse than the qx?

1 hour ago, Novotnoa said:

What makes them worse than the qx?

The blade is different so it doesn’t have the same puck feel. Doesn’t have the same pop the QX. Still a decent shooting stick.

Edited by stick9

I got two AK27s at Paranis last winter. Two for $120. They are black with silver graphics with white logos. All of the sticks only came in a W01 curve, which is why I got them. I have never seen anything similar to them anywhere else. The blade is a bit heavier than say my Triggers, but otherwise I love them and the puck feel is better than any other stick I use. Not great "pop" though. Does anyone here know any spit where I can find more out about the sticks I have?

I have an ALPHA AK27 SL that is 75 flex and 85 flex laying around that I am planning to toss on sidelineswap for cheap pretty soon. Have an Alpha QX as well. Only used them to perform a review. Now they are just taking up space in the shop. 

1 hour ago, ParabolicActivity said:

I appreciate it. Unfortunately mine isn't included there.

Interesting...those are the only two AK's I know of. Maybe Pereni's did an SMU??

19 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Interesting...those are the only two AK's I know of. Maybe Pereni's did an SMU??

If it was last winter, they could be the original AK27s, not the alpha "throwback" graphics. Does it say "alpha" anywhere on it? Doe it have a vaguely soviet-looking eagle in the front of shaft, about 1/2 way down?

4 hours ago, start_today said:

If it was last winter, they could be the original AK27s, not the alpha "throwback" graphics. Does it say "alpha" anywhere on it? Doe it have a vaguely soviet-looking eagle in the front of shaft, about 1/2 way down?

Yes. In silver ish grey? With real light grey graphics on the hosel so that all you can see from any distance is a small Warrior logo and an "AK" with "TWENTY SEVEN" written too light to be seen?

21 hours ago, ParabolicActivity said:

Yes. In silver ish grey? With real light grey graphics on the hosel so that all you can see from any distance is a small Warrior logo and an "AK" with "TWENTY SEVEN" written too light to be seen?

Pretty sure that’s an original AK27 not an Alpha AK27SL.

On 8/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, Novotnoa said:

I was looking at clearance sticks and found this for $149 I read that it was a 400 gram stick. Does anyone has experience with this stick, I used a warrior Ax3lt some time ago and it was awful, the shaft would twist causing the blade to open up and be inaccurate. Maybe it was just my stick, but It also deteriorated quickly. Hoping this has been improved?

I got one of these a couple weeks ago, because my QRL was dead and the toe was chipped.  Even compared to my dead QRL, it felt dead.  It's light yes, but not much pop in it.  I used it for about 5 skates and didn't feel like it was playing as well as my QRL.  So, I went back to the old dead QRL and I can say that, even though light as a whole, the AK27 feels more blade heavy than the QRL, so, I would assume the Alpha as well. I'll probably just get a new QRL on sale now, because despite the light weight, the playing difference was noticeable to me.  I assume compared to a new QRL it will be even more noticeable. 

9 minutes ago, smcgreg said:

I got one of these a couple weeks ago, because my QRL was dead and the toe was chipped.  Even compared to my dead QRL, it felt dead.  It's light yes, but not much pop in it.  I used it for about 5 skates and didn't feel like it was playing as well as my QRL.  So, I went back to the old dead QRL and I can say that, even though light as a whole, the AK27 feels more blade heavy than the QRL, so, I would assume the Alpha as well. I'll probably just get a new QRL on sale now, because despite the light weight, the playing difference was noticeable to me.  I assume compared to a new QRL it will be even more noticeable. 

I noticed the same thing. The stick didn't have a good feel and the blade felt dead. It is light overall, but I think they took the weight of the shaft and went with a cheaper blade because, as you mentioned, it does feel blade heavy. 

7 hours ago, smcgreg said:

I don't disagree with your experience. However, you need to consider what the AK27SL really is. It's a QX Pro with a lighter shaft. It's also a $179 price point, which makes it cheaper than the QX Pro. Comparing it to the QRL isn't really fair. The QRL is a top tier stick that retails out at almost $100 more than the 27SL. The AK27SL was never meant to compete with top tier sticks.

Honestly, the AK is what the QX Pro should really be.  

Yes, you are probably right.  The old adage, "you get what you pay for" probably applies here.  I guess the one thing is that I have been waiting for the QRL to come down to that $150 price point like the top end sticks have in the past, but it's been stuck at ~$220 for a while.  Looking at the weight of the AK27 and the price, I was hoping it would fit the bill.  I actually bought a new QRL today and played at noon and the difference is striking comparing a new stick to a new stick in an apples to apples comparison.

It's just funny to hear all those guys in the lockerroom talk about there's no reason high end sticks cost so much, it's just a scam.  This is a clear example of the difference between a high end stick and one at have the original price when weight is taken out of the equation.  There's still a big difference with how the stick plays for somebody that is sensitive to those things.

Thanks for the input, I think I’ll end up saving a little more and wait till the next Ribcor stick comes out. If it’s $249 like the JetSpeed is I’ll pick it up, otherwise I’ll just buy a trigger2 on sale.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:27 AM, ParabolicActivity said:

I got two AK27s at Paranis last winter. Two for $120. They are black with silver graphics with white logos. All of the sticks only came in a W01 curve, which is why I got them. I have never seen anything similar to them anywhere else. The blade is a bit heavier than say my Triggers, but otherwise I love them and the puck feel is better than any other stick I use. Not great "pop" though. Does anyone here know any spit where I can find more out about the sticks I have?

That's the AK27 based on the QX5. The AK27 SL is based on the QX Pro.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2018 at 6:27 AM, ParabolicActivity said:

Like Nickmast said; the silver one’s aren’t the SL (super lites) for what it’s worth.  The SL is sort of a dark yellowish-gold color and 410 grams based on the QX pro. The non-SL is silver representing the price point and I think is 530 grams based on a QX5

Edited by Ogie Oglethorpe

On 8/19/2018 at 6:17 PM, stick9 said:

The blade is different so it doesn’t have the same puck feel. Doesn’t have the same pop the QX. Still a decent shooting stick.

I haven’t used the QX or the QX Pro, but I have used the Alpha AK27, and the QX3. 

I liked the blade feel of the QX3, but the AK27 SL blade plays both like it’s too lively, and like I don’t have good puck feel. I mean lively like I need to concentrate extra to take passes, pucks seem more likely to bounce of the blade, where another blade it would stay where I want it.  

A) Does that description even make sense

B) Does the blade on the QX and QX Pro play like the SL? The way the puck bounces off the blade on the SL has religated it to back up status after only a few uses. 

3 hours ago, start_today said:

I haven’t used the QX or the QX Pro, but I have used the Alpha AK27, and the QX3. 

I liked the blade feel of the QX3, but the AK27 SL blade plays both like it’s too lively, and like I don’t have good puck feel. I mean lively like I need to concentrate extra to take passes, pucks seem more likely to bounce of the blade, where another blade it would stay where I want it.  

A) Does that description even make sense

B) Does the blade on the QX and QX Pro play like the SL? The way the puck bounces off the blade on the SL has religated it to back up status after only a few uses. 

A) Yes, I would agree it's both lively and dead at the same time. 

B) The blade on the SL is nothing like that of the QX. The QX had amazing puck feel and was never overly lively. I can't speak for the QX Pro though I suspect it's more like the SL.