Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tcc

Feedback on custom skates

On 9/9/2018 at 7:12 PM, CigarScott said:

If it were me, I would go talk to Chase at PH in Plano and get his feedback on what's he seeing with customs at his store as they fit and sell both brands.

When you ordered yours, were you told that True stopped accepting boot only orders and thet they would no longer drill holes for other holders?

3 minutes ago, jared9356 said:

When you ordered yours, were you told that True stopped accepting boot only orders and thet they would no longer drill holes for other holders?

Yes, that's why I rushed and got my order in before the deadline.

I do believe that Step holders and LS Edge have the same hole pattern.

Edited by CigarScott

1 minute ago, CigarScott said:

Yes, that's why I rushed and got my order in before the deadline.

Don’t you have Step holders?

Odd that they would force consumers to use their holder knowing that a majority will replace them.

1 hour ago, jared9356 said:

Don’t you have Step holders?

Odd that they would force consumers to use their holder knowing that a majority will replace them.

I do, black ones if that makes a difference.

They used to sell skates with LS Edge holders and still do if you need 322mm or really small ones. It wasn't their doing from what a couple True dealers told me. They told me that Step pressured True to stop offering boot-only orders so they could sell more holders and their proprietary steel or they were going to cut off their supplies to True.

Edited by CigarScott
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jared9356 said:

[snip]

I doubt that it's 'a majority'.  Perhaps a 'statistically significant minority'.  Who knows, though - people do seem to be sharply divided on the Step holder/runner combo.

Personally, after about a month with my True skates, I don't have any specific issues with the holder.  Yes, the runner attachment mechanism is a little wonky and I definitely admit that I wouldn't want to have to change steel in a hurry; but I do like the runners and I can confidently say that Step both sharpens and holds an edge MUCH better than both Bauer and CCM stock steel.  

59 minutes ago, CigarScott said:

[snip]

They used to sell skates with LS Edge holders and still do if you need 322mm or really small ones. It wasn't their doing from what a couple True dealers told me. They told me that Step pressured True to stop offering boot-only orders so they could sell more holders and their proprietary steel or they were going to cut off their supplies to True.

I've heard something like this, too.  Only, I didn't hear the words 'cut off supplies'.  Instead, I heard 'significantly raise the cost'....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Santos L Halper said:

Personally, after about a month with my True skates, I don't have any specific issues with the holder. 

Would like to hear your overall impression of the skates so far. Maybe you can speak to the questions I had about the liner holding water moreso than other skates. I doubt there has been much wear in a month, but how have they been holding up?

Just now, jared9356 said:

Would like to hear your overall impression of the skates so far. Maybe you can speak to the questions I had about the liner holding water moreso than other skates. I doubt there has been much wear in a month, but how have they been holding up?

I'll write a much more detailed post tomorrow morning about this (gotta get to the rink, now); but overall I'm very happy.

But, to your specific points, I can say the following:

• Though I don't notice it while I'm skating, I can confidently say that they absolutely do not 'breathe'.  However, do they retain moisture?  I dunno.  Maybe?  I can tell you that my feet are definitely much 'sweatier' after wearing my Trues than they ever were after wearing my TotalOnes.  A phenomenon which has, in turn, led me to be much more conscious about drying my skates out than I ever was with my Bauers  (which probably isn't a bad thing, as I'd like to make these things last a while).  That said, they dry out just fine overnight and I haven't had any issues with putting on wet/sweaty skates unless I'm doing something like an hour on the ice - hour off - back on the ice.  But, in that instance, my Bauers would have been wet, too....
  • I have seen absolutely NO signs of wear.  And I'm on the ice a lot (2+ hours a day - 6 days a week).  Granted, I'm coaching, not playing, so your mileage absolutely may vary...but I've not had any issues with durability.  

Anyway.  Off to the rink! More tomorrow!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CigarScott said:

Get a heat gun and do the tissue technique. Hear dryer will take forever to get the area hot enough to mold, especially if they're True skates with their carbon fiber. If you have Harbor Freight or something similar in Canada, I was able to get a heat gun with their coupons for like $12.

Thanks Scott. I do have a heat gun that I use when doing electrical and electronic work. 

Do I just heat the outside or inside and out at the specific spot? 

55 minutes ago, tcc said:

Thanks Scott. I do have a heat gun that I use when doing electrical and electronic work. 

In one of the old SVH videos floating around youtube, he says never to use the heat gun on the inside of the skate. No idea if it's a general rule, or if their manufacturing process is more sensitive to internal heat.

Based on that video, I only used the heatgun on the outside of my Supertacks...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tcc said:

I'm not sure, may depend on the make and model. I would just check the area periodically until the area is malleable then get those things on ASAP.

A skate oven doesn't differentiate between the inside or the outside of a boot. You can heat the inside but you have to be really careful not to get it too hot, trick is to put heat in there for around 5 seconds whilst constantly moving the heat gun then move the heat to the outside. Heat the outside for about 20 seconds then go back to the inside and repeat. Always keep the gun moving and don't let it get too close to the boot, never let it sit still in one spot, you are trying to heat the area evenly. Mask the boot with cardboard if you just want to spot heat one area and not have other areas of the boot move.

For context...

https://home.howstuffworks.com/heat-gun.htm

Heat guns are power tools used for both commercial and personal projects. While the commercial versions are a bit more powerful and slightly more expensive than the home versions, the range still isn't very big. Most heat guns have a minimum temperature of around 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius), although a few start even lower at 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Celsius). The top temperature of a heat gun typically reaches around 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit (593 degrees Celsius), although some get even hotter. For most heat gun uses, 750 degrees Fahrenheit (399 degrees Celsius) will suffice [source: Capotosto].

That said, be careful. 

Edited by stick9

On 9/12/2018 at 4:24 PM, Santos L Halper said:

I doubt that it's 'a majority'.  Perhaps a 'statistically significant minority'.  Who knows, though - people do seem to be sharply divided on the Step holder/runner combo.

Personally, after about a month with my True skates, I don't have any specific issues with the holder.  Yes, the runner attachment mechanism is a little wonky and I definitely admit that I wouldn't want to have to change steel in a hurry; but I do like the runners and I can confidently say that Step both sharpens and holds an edge MUCH better than both Bauer and CCM stock steel.  

I've heard something like this, too.  Only, I didn't hear the words 'cut off supplies'.  Instead, I heard 'significantly raise the cost'....

I think since Tydan and a few others are going to start offering steel for eh Step/VH holder we will see more people using them. It really is a great holder, especially compared to SB holder with those stupid screws and bolts. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Santos L Halper said:

The Fitting/Ordering Process:

As mentioned above, I was scanned in Canada by an ACTUAL TRUE EMPLOYEE, not a LHS employee.  Does this matter?  Maybe.  I don't know.  However, I presume that, as a representative of his company, he actually knows what he's doing.  When scanning, he also took pictures of my feet and noted some areas where I have had discomfort in the past.  Additionally, I filled out a form where I noted my height, weight, current skate size and model, blade holder size, etc...etc...etc...

Now then, there has been much consternation as to whether or not True offers different models of their skate - while I can't definitively answer that; I CAN tell you that, as part of the process, I was asked if I wanted the 'pro' fit or the 'retail' fit.  I asked what the difference was and was told that they're "basically the same skate", but the pro fit is designed to eliminate as much negative space as possible in the boot; while the retail fit leaves some room for thicker socks, etc...since I HATE negative space in my skates, I asked for the pro fit.  Now, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I do have an acquaintance that works at a big box LHS, but since I didn't order my skates from him, I've tried to avoid talking in too many specifics about the actual process of ordering True skates from them.  Put differently, I do not know if you can walk into an LHS or a True fit center and ask for a 'pro fit' skate.  However, it was an option offered to me and I bring it up because it's possible that my experience may differ from that of another skater as a result of my being offered that option.  

Anyway.  Moving on. 

It seems like you get a totally different experience with True Skates depending on which retailer you go to.  I was never made aware of two different fit profiles even after having a second pair made for me due to the first pair having too much negative space, and too much instep depth.  The second pair feels no different!  Who orders custom skates and still wears thick socks anyway????

I think a lot of people (myself included) give these skates so many chances and tinker with them so much because they are so expensive that we just want to find a way to make them work.  Lets be honest, if you walk into a store and 2 out of 3 skates you try on have HEEL LIFT, you're not going to even mess with those two pairs of skates.  When you drop 800+ on skates you couldn't even try on before buying, and they're delivered with one of the biggest possible flaws you could have with a skate (heel lift) you're going to try and make it work.

I agree with you that if you just skate casually, some of these problems don't rear their head.  Mine are very comfortable for public skates with my GF or if I was a coach, but I didn't drop nearly a grand on skates for that.  I wanted something that locked my foot in for quick directional changes and acceleration.  I ordered a pair of Corvette's and got stuck with a roached Buick.

Edited by Superjet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Superjet said:

[snip]

I agree with you that if you just skate casually, some of these problems don't rear their head.  Mine are very comfortable for public skates with my GF or if I was a coach, but I didn't drop nearly a grand on skates for that.  I wanted something that locked my foot in for quick directional changes and acceleration.  I ordered a pair of Corvette's and got stuck with a roached Buick.

.....I know you're not equating what I do as a coach with 'public skates with [your] GF'.

🤨

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Santos L Halper said:

.....I know you're not equating what I do as a coach with 'public skates with [your] GF'.

🤨

No no no, that is not how I intended it to be taken haha

Did a pair of MyBauer 2S Pro's for a player who had full size difference between feet.  Delivery was just about 2 weeks from the date the order was submitted.  Fit and finish were flawless.  Fit post bake was perfect.

Is there a way to punch out the part of the boot where the toe cap and boot meet for the pinkie toe?  Something like the tissue method that True suggests for other parts of the foot.

5 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

You can punch out just about any part of the boot if you have the right tools.  @customskateworks even designed a boot punch that will work on toe caps too.

But is there anything someone with no specific tool(s) can do in that particular spot of the boot?  I was able to correct the navicular bone on one foot using a heat gun and the True tissue method 🙂

Edited by tcc

So I've had just over a handful of skates in the 2s Pros and have tweeked the right boot (my problem right foot, navicular bone) a few times but I still feel like I'm not getting a solid heel lock.  It doesn't slip or anything but it just doesn't feel supported and feels a bit loose. I'm not sure if I have a slightly narrower heel/ankle but I'm going to try on a stable 26 sock I have to see if that works. 

If not I really want to see if there is a difference with the speed plate 2.0 (currently have superfeet carbon). To just see if there is a difference would I need to rebake the skates or can I get away with not doing that?