Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jmiro

Help with my U10

Howdy,

Recourse in what way?  Season's basically done at this point, right?  I don't think anyone would disagree that the situation you both describe sounds like a total sh*t show, but I don't see how you can expect money back at this point.

Instead, my focus would be on rehabilitating my kid.  And for that, I would say to let him take the lead on it mostly.  Give him a break from you talking about hockey for a while to decompress.  Go to movies, do whatever.  Then after a while see if he just wants to go to a stick & puck or something and see if he has fun.  Let him drive how serious he wants to be from there.

Mark

Season has 1 more game and the playoffs yet. I am not looking to get money back. I was hoping there was something we could do to help prevent this from happening in the future to other kids. My son will be fine as we have talked about it and he said he won’t let a bad coach keep him from playing. I have contacted USA hockey about the situation and the adm regional manager is supposed to contact me tomorrow. 

• Like 2

We do get fill out an eval at the end of the year.  The chair person or what ever his position is is stepping down.  Next year's U10 will be on smaller team I beleive.   I think the fear is this will continue.

This is incredible to read..just horrible. Very sorry to hear. This coach or organization just doesn't get it and prob never will until people stand up and start making some noise about it.  Sounds like a nightmare and I'm very sympathetic to your situation. I know first hand how quickly a kid can sour on something that they used to love doing, /// I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't been brought up yet but our organization has adopted USA HOCKEY standards for youth development ADM / LTAD.  Boundaries and expectations are made crystal clear before coaches are allowed to coach on the ice with the kids. We have mandatory, age-specific training that involves classes, seminars.. online courses and modules.. etc... lays out age-specific guidelines for every youth age group. Covers everything...to the point where a bad apple like this would stick out like a sore thumb... doing things that were way off base for the age they were coaching. Foul language, harassment, singling out players, benching them. Over-emphasis on systems... yikes....at u10 and younger. wouldn't last long.  I'm thankful we're in a great club with a lot of support from parents and multiple coaches on Ice every game and practice, I don't think a single head coach could have that much influence over the entire team below u10 around here.The other coaches and parents simply wouldn't tolerate it.

• Like 1

You can't light a fire in your kid to love the game, but you can certainly snuff it out.

The most important thing is finding them an environment where their love of the game can flourish. If they love the game, they will work hard at it, because it doesn't feel like work if you love it.

It shouldn't feel like a job or like a chore - because it isn't. It's supposed to be fun - kids play sports to have fun.

• Like 4

Well, at this point a year later, we are at another organization.  He tried out for the previous organization.  Due to multiple issues and a desire to play other sports we left.  He was going to play in house at that rink.  The inhouse program closed.  At that time he was asked to play for a tournament team at another rink a little further away.  He joined their inhouse program then they let him join late season on their travel team.  He actually played his old team and was accosted by players calling him names and hitting him after the handshake line.  So long and short he is happy where he is.  The program he came from and rink all seem to be in jeopardy.  It is a shame.  But he enjoys his new team so much and the game.

• Like 3