Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pix530

Protection gear senior size. Recommendations and experience needed.

Need to buy new set of protection for my son. He plays competitive AAA as left wing. He is in Senior Small size. 

As always, most important is lightweight and fit, along with good protection. 

Of course, we will try to visit store, before that looking for advice and experience. 

Lines that we are looking for are:

Vapor 1x lite and 1x ( heavily discounted now)

Jetspeed ft1

Nexus 2n

Warrior alpha qx

And supreme 1s.

Mobility and fit most important factor.

Don't get the 1X shoulders... My son plays Bantam Major AA and uses 1X shoulders. I know they're heavily discounted now so it's tempting but the problem is not the weight nor the protection, it is the quality of the material (mainly the foam used in the back) has began to crack in less than 2 months... He's on the ice 3-4x per week and takes good care of his equipment and hangs them to dry religiously and doesn't abuse his gear, but the foam in the back should not be cracking! He does like everything else about the 1X (weight, how low it hangs in the back and how much it covers in the back etc)...

I'm very impressed with the 1X Lite however since Bauer actually managed to make them even lighter than the 1X and the Lite seems to cover the back area even more. He used to wear CCM Crazy Lite and those were great, but those hardly covered the back at all. We did look at the Supreme 1S and the back area is shorter than the 1X and are slightly heavier in weight.

We never cared to look at the QX (not a big fan of Warrior protection products, except gloves) or Nexus shoulders, and haven't tried on the FT1's.

If I were you, I'd consider the 1X Lite for it's incredible weight and coverage area, but be aware of the foam cracking issue...

My son's gear list:

Bauer Re-Akt Helmet (the original version... Best Re-Akt in my opinion and he's on his 3rd one) with Re-Akt Cage

Bauer 1X shoulder

STX Stallion HPR Elbows (great protection, coverage and build quality, although not the lightest)

Warrior QRE Gloves

CCM Super Tacks Girdle (great adjustability, but the CCM Shell that comes with it SUCKS, both inner thigh zippers broke within a month)

Bauer 1X shins (light but he liked his APX2's better than 1X)

CCM FT1 skates

Edited by Coldclay

If he’s a skinny/slim build go for the 1x/1x lite. If he’s on the muscular side (doesn’t even have to be bulky just broad shouldered) go for a nexus. However the nexus I recommend are the nexus 8000 pads. Hands down the most comfortable, protective and mobile pads I’ve used. Not that the 2n pads are bad but I don’t think they make nexus pads with 37.5 liner. 1n pads have massive shoulder caps that could block mobility. The nexus line has the 2 piece bicep guard which is great. Sideline swap has some. You should be able to pick up a new pair for less that $100 no problem.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:04 AM, pix530 said:

Need to buy new set of protection for my son. He plays competitive AAA as left wing. He is in Senior Small size. 

Of course, we will try to visit store, before that looking for advice and experience. 

Jetspeed ft1

Nexus 2n

Warrior alpha qx

And supreme 1s.

Most of the kids that we fit love the CCM Tacks line.  Great protection, whilst still being light and mobile.  Really depends on his build though.  Warrior line is great, but definitely try it on, their stuff (minus shin guards) fits big.

On 9/16/2018 at 10:04 PM, pix530 said:

Jetspeed ft1

Nexus 2n

Warrior alpha qx

And supreme 1s.

I am a huge fan of Warrior. Second would be CCM Jet Speed and Tacks. I have never been a big Bauer protective fanatic. I own a shop in Seattle and we provide team gear sales and service to the local teams, AAA, Juniors and WHL. I dont see as many kids wearing Bauer protective as I used to. 

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 1

Coldclay, thank you for such detailed post. I am aware now of x1 material issue. Not sure if lite is much better. I was impressed by weight in junior size. 

He has junior Tacks shoulders now in L and it's way too small now. 

Novotnoa, thank you, I will look into Nexus line and esp 8000. 

Goalieman39, Tacks is a good choice. Definitely. 

Nicolas, we are north of you. In Vancouver.

Regarding store, I have 15% off everything at 3 local stores, Source, Larry and Taylor.

His measurements are height 5.7, weight 140lbs, shoe size 9. 

And he is significantly growing. 

He is not interested in new gear, he loves the game, so due to this we go to buy new gear when he is out of old one completely. 

His equipment size is Junior Large, shins 12, gloves 12( palm is 20cm long). And pants XL Junior. 

Before tryouts we had equipment check and he got a list of things to change, mostly everything, except gloves and helmet. Shin elbow shoulders are way too small, I didn't know that cause I didn't see him in gear without jersey and socks for years )

Gloves are ripping off in finger area. Supertacks. 

Helmet is old.we can't find a replacement. Bauer doesn't fit. Most others are not in his team color which is gold. 

3 hours ago, pix530 said:

Coldclay, thank you for such detailed post. I am aware now of x1 material issue. Not sure if lite is much better. I was impressed by weight in junior size. 

He has junior Tacks shoulders now in L and it's way too small now. 

Novotnoa, thank you, I will look into Nexus line and esp 8000. 

Goalieman39, Tacks is a good choice. Definitely. 

Nicolas, we are north of you. In Vancouver.

Regarding store, I have 15% off everything at 3 local stores, Source, Larry and Taylor.

He is not interested in new gear, he loves the game, so due to this we go to buy new gear when he is out of old one completely. 

His equipment size is Junior Large, shins 12, gloves 12( palm is 20cm long). And pants XL Junior. 

Before tryouts we had equipment check and he got a list of things to change, mostly everything, except gloves and helmet. Shin elbow shoulders are way too small, I didn't know that cause I didn't see him in gear without jersey and socks for years )

Helmet is old.we can't find a replacement. Bauer doesn't fit. Most others are not in his team color which is gold. 

Let me know what you decide to go with. Happy to give you a friends and family discount on anything you might need. Burnaby colors, as you mention gold? 

Edited by Nicholas G

7 hours ago, pix530 said:

Our kids are practically the same size, mine is 5'7" & 145 lbs and here are the sizes of his equipment:

Bauer Re-Akt Helmet: Adult Med with Large Re-Akt cage

Bauer 1X Shoulders: Adult Sm

STX Stallion HPR Elbow: Adult Sm (getting tight...)

CCM Super Tacks Girdle: Adult Sm (probably should've gone medium) with an Adult Medium S190 shell (Again, the CCM shell that came with the girdle is a giant piece of sh*t)

Bauer 1X Shins: 13" (13.5" would be perfect)

Warrior QRE gloves: 13"

CCM FT1 skates: Sz 7

Edited by Coldclay

11 hours ago, pix530 said:

Tacks in a small or Warrior in a XS (or small depending on fit).  CCM Tacks will be lighter, but the warrior is really a great, protective pad too.

Are you looking for gloves too?  Honestly with gloves trying them on is your best bet.  All fit differently, and each line is made to accomodate a particular style.

In terms of the helmet, Warrior also offers a gold helmet, they just don't offer it as a combo.  They stock the Covert PX+ and PX2 in sport gold.  In terms of the fit, what was the problem with the bauer helmets?