Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
goudgey

Shooting practice at a golf driving range

Hey all, 

My slapshot (and snapshot and wrist shop) needs some work and ice time is hard for me to come by...but there is a golf driving range nearby.

Would there be any merit in me taking my stick and shooting pad down there to practice shooting a bunch of golf balls (assuming management have no issues with it)?

I assume that whilst it’s not going to be as beneficial as on ice shooting practice, it’s going to be of some benefit and not result in me picking up bad form/habits.  Is my assumption correct?

Cheers! 

3 hours ago, Davideo said:

Would definitely recommend a shooting pad and a net/board.

I should mention that I don’t have a lot of outside space. Enough for some stick handling but not enough for a net/board to shoot into. 

Seems like a terrible idea to me.  I'm sure there are better places to take your shooting pad where you could actually shoot a puck or puck like object rather than a golf ball.

Shooting a golfball is not the same as shooting a puck. If you try to develop your mechanics this way, there's a good chance you are going to develop some bad habits. It's a lot easier to get under a golfball and lift it than it is a puck. 

If you want to take your shooting pad somewhere, just take it to a park with a flat surface and a chain link fence and fire pucks at that. Tennis courts are nice. And if you're ambitious, you can even bring a net. 

Edited by puckpilot

14 hours ago, goudgey said:

Hey all, 

My slapshot (and snapshot and wrist shop) needs some work and ice time is hard for me to come by...but there is a golf driving range nearby.

Would there be any merit in me taking my stick and shooting pad down there to practice shooting a bunch of golf balls (assuming management have no issues with it)?

...only if you can hit the 250 yard sign.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Shooting a golfball is not the same as shooting a puck. If you try to develop your mechanics this way, there's a good chance you are going to develop some bad habits. It's a lot easier to get under a golfball and lift it than it is a puck. 

If you want to take your shooting pad somewhere, just take it to a park with a flat surface and a chain link fence and fire pucks at that. Tennis courts are nice. And if you're ambitious, you can even bring a net. 

Thanks guys, I’ll can the idea and look for other options. 

Cheers 

Reminds me of my golf ball experience.  When I first picked up my stick after 20 years the only thing I had nearby was a golfball. I saw in a YouTube vid (won’t name names) that it would be a great tool for developing touch. Lol well I inadvertently got really good with the damn golfball to the point when I finally got a biscuit to work with it was absolutely worse than starting over from scratch. So frustrating I’m still chopping the puck in half when I try to speed things up.  

Edited by Above40

On 9/22/2018 at 11:46 PM, goudgey said:

Hey all, 

I assume that whilst it’s not going to be as beneficial as on ice shooting practice, it’s going to be of some benefit and not result in me picking up bad form/habits.  Is my assumption correct?

Cheers! 

Ideally, you want to shoot at a goal-sized target between 10 to 60 feet.