Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
puckpilot

Natural wear and tear or did the sharpener mess up my blades?

I just recently noticed that my skates felt a little weird after sharpening. Felt like I was pitched forward more than usual and I wasn't as stable. I thought it was all in my head until I swapped into my back up steel and things felt normal again. I then compared my current steel to my back up pair and saw what's in the pictures below. Both sets of steel are the exact same age, bought within a week of one another.. The one on the bottom has only been ground twice. Once to a 12' radius and then to a 13' radius. The steel on top has only been profiled once to a 12' radius and then sharpened approximately 10 times. 

I know the two blades are different radii, but Is this much steel supposed to be missing on the toes and heel after 10 sharpenings? Any opinions and/or insight would greatly be appreciated. I don't want to bitch and moan unless I'm sure.

Thanks in advance.

cRgkGqn.jpg

uQ8yj4I.jpg

There are some different factors at work here and I am sure the sharpening experts can speak to that more but generally every time your steel is worked on the shape will change a bit.  The profiling shouldn't hit the ends but the profiler may have tried to blend in a bit.  Then over time the sharpening may also effect the tips.  The top pick of the toe, being more severe obviously, might make you feel a bit more pitched forward I guess.  The bottom pick shows a place you will never touch when skating. 

• Thanks 1

To me, it looks like they were too aggressive with the toe and heel when engaging the wheel. I dont know why people sharpen all the way to the very ends of the steel... you dont skate on those parts! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1