Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pantallica39

True/VH pro stock skates

Any input would be helpful, Thanks in advance. I’m looking into a pair of True skates and found a lot of pro stocks avaible. I’ve seen a lot in both D and EE width but I have also read that they will mold to any width. Any truth to this? I know they are custom fit to the customers foot but if they do in fact mold to any shape it should be little to no problems if I heat me up correct? 

No, they don't mold to any shape/width.  A skate made similar to say a vapor last volume wise cant stretch to fit similar to a Nexus. Conversely, too much volume will still be too much volume.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pantallica39 said:

Any input would be helpful, Thanks in advance. I’m looking into a pair of True skates and found a lot of pro stocks avaible. I’ve seen a lot in both D and EE width but I have also read that they will mold to any width. Any truth to this? I know they are custom fit to the customers foot but if they do in fact mold to any shape it should be little to no problems if I heat me up correct? 

Before you buy anyone else’s custom made skates, triple check that they fit. Try them on or compare your measurements to those on the skates’ spec form. If going by recorded measurements, I’d also seek a return guarantee in case it still just doesn’t fit right. It’s like buying someone else’s tailored suit, so the idea of a ready-to-wear size and fit profile doesn't apply. Buy with extreme diligence.

Edited by flip12
Overwriting mobile auto-correct shenanigans

I've purchesed to re sell some pro returns and made sure that the customer buying had a similar foot and so far zero issues. In fact a customer came in yesterday after his first game and scored his first goal.  He plays d and usually has assists but skating better than in his prior skates as per the customer.  

• Like 1

Totally agree. I’d do it if I could return them. Otherwise you could end up being stuck with Frankenstein’s hot potato returns with mismatched sizes, mismatched shot blocking reinforcement in the quarter panels, and an extra row of eyelets at the top.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

Totally agree. I’d do it if I could return them. Otherwise you could end up being stuck with Frankenstein’s hot potato returns with mismatched sizes, mismatched shot blocking reinforcement in the quarter panels, and an extra row of eyelets at the top.

So, pretty much the same as buying any pro stock skate..  

• Like 1

All of that information is readily available and/or pictured 99% of the time. I don’t have any less sympathy for someone who buys a pro stock skate online than someone who buys a stock skate “1.5 sizes down from their shoe size” and ends up with a clown shoe/skate. Uneducated/misled online shopper is the same in both cases.

In fact I’d have more confidence buying something that is literally stamped “7” “D” “A” as opposed to trying to do the mental gymnastics required to discern that a Nexus D is actually a EE or that a 2015 CCM 6.5 is a 2017 CCM 7. 

For True this might be a little more difficult but I digress- it’s Monday and I’m grumpy. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

So, pretty much the same as buying any pro stock skate..  

Yes, very much. The only difference I see is a lot of potential buyers seem to expect that the Trues’ extreme moldability guarantees that the skate is going to accommodate them. Even a tailored suit with elastane isn’t that universal.

9 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

All of that information is readily available and/or pictured 99% of the time. I don’t have any less sympathy for someone who buys a pro stock skate online than someone who buys a stock skate “1.5 sizes down from their shoe size” and ends up with a clown shoe/skate. Uneducated/misled online shopper is the same in both cases.

In fact I’d have more confidence buying something that is literally stamped “7” “D” “A” as opposed to trying to do the mental gymnastics required to discern that a Nexus D is actually a EE or that a 2015 CCM 6.5 is a 2017 CCM 7. 

And a lot of times that’s all a mystery when considering second-hand Trues.

I've known a bunch of people who have gotten lucky, myself included, with pro-return or secondhand True/VH's made for other people. I was lucky that the pro I got mine from actually lived in my town so I could try them on before buying. The fit was close enough and the price was right for me to take a gamble on them. Now it took 2 bakes and a little heat gun work but I can still say that True/VH skates made for someone else fits me better than any retail, pro stock, or custom made Bauer (from late 90s/early 2000) that I've ever worn. I think as long as you can find a fit that is close enough and the price is right, go for it. But if you've got all sort of foot/fitting issues and you're not paying that much less than what True/VH's go for, just bite the bullet and get a pair made. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

For True this might be a little more difficult but I digress- it’s Monday and I’m grumpy. 

CCM sizing decals on the bottom of the outsoles are rarely present when pro stock skates hit the secondary market.  Until recently VH/True sizing was printed on a label in the same place Bauer sizing info would be.  My point was Trues aren't any worse or more of a gamble than any other custom skate from another manufacturer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Monty22 said:

CCM sizing decals on the bottom of the outsoles are rarely present when pro stock skates hit the secondary market.  Until recently VH/True sizing was printed on a label in the same place Bauer sizing info would be.  My point was Trues aren't any worse or more of a gamble than any other custom skate from another manufacturer. 

Your point is accurate if you account for people having done their homework, which the OP was doing by asking here, but @pantallica39's not the first to wonder if someone else's True skates will just work after baking as long as the length is close enough. This is unique to extremely thermoformable skates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

Your point is accurate if you account for people having done their homework, which the OP was doing by asking here, but @pantallica39's not the first to wonder if someone else's True skates will just work after baking as long as the length is close enough. This is unique to extremely thermoformable skates.

I have seen multiple skates in the length I would need, it’s just the width that I’m mostly concerned about. The Trues I have looked at online only have a barcode on the bottom of the sole but in most cases the numbers are not clear enough to make out being that they are used. If I was able to read the numbers I might have a shit if getting some specs from True but I can’t in this case. Most are listed with the length but the width is unknown. 

17 hours ago, pantallica39 said:

I have seen multiple skates in the length I would need, it’s just the width that I’m mostly concerned about. The Trues I have looked at online only have a barcode on the bottom of the sole but in most cases the numbers are not clear enough to make out being that they are used. If I was able to read the numbers I might have a shit if getting some specs from True but I can’t in this case. Most are listed with the length but the width is unknown. 

Best bet is to ask the person what skate size and model they usually wear. For example, I wear a 7.5EE in Jet Speed and Vapor. So if I was to sell my True skates I would make sure the person buying them matches my specifications

• Like 2

So my dad bought a pair of True's but recently injured his hip so decided to hang them up after skating in them less than 10 times and gave me them. Only skated in them once on the ODR and they felt good skating wise, but are a little too painful in the arches as well they are alittle short around the toes but haven't caused much pain there. I was wondering if you guys would advise anything to enhance the fit there whether it be another bake, getting them punched out, or just persistence?

39 minutes ago, theinfamoust94 said:

So my dad bought a pair of True's but recently injured his hip so decided to hang them up after skating in them less than 10 times and gave me them. Only skated in them once on the ODR and they felt good skating wise, but are a little too painful in the arches as well they are alittle short around the toes but haven't caused much pain there. I was wondering if you guys would advise anything to enhance the fit there whether it be another bake, getting them punched out, or just persistence?

Aside from rebaking there are tips on trues YouTube channel for arch pain that's easily alleviated. Another method for arch pain is to heat gun the arch and physically push the arch down a little at a time until you feel relief. I'd start with the insole modification first. 

Also you can likely create more room in the toe box by shaving some or the foam in there. 

• Like 1

Im considering a pair of Trues this summer and was wondering if money isnt an issue is the extra $200 for the 'big' skate companies any better or no? In my area custom trues are 999.99, bauers / CCM would be 1200 or so. 

1 hour ago, Cove said:

Im considering a pair of Trues this summer and was wondering if money isnt an issue is the extra $200 for the 'big' skate companies any better or no? In my area custom trues are 999.99, bauers / CCM would be 1200 or so. 

That’s up to you. I would say go True because they’ve been amazing for me. But you have to make that decision for yourself. 

Personally I don’t feel like that $200 is getting you anything extra but everyone has their own opinions.

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

That’s up to you. I would say go True because they’ve been amazing for me. But you have to make that decision for yourself. 

Personally I don’t feel like that $200 is getting you anything extra but everyone has their own opinions.

Exactly. It's totally up to you what you want out of your skate. My buddy did a lot of research and actually reached out to the different companies and asked questions. He finally decided on trues bc his feet are messed and he wanted comfort  and fit over anything else.  He can't fit into ANY retail skate as volume is always an issue. He's a 6.5ee with a large instep. Even the Nexus wasn't even close to fitting him. 

After a week of researching he decided on trues. 

Custom trues vs CCM/Bauer aren't really comparable because the trues don't fit like traditional skates at all. Even custom CCM/Bauer will still have the same "feel" as their off the shelf skates but just exact to your foot specs.  If you have simple issues like feet length discrepancies and have never had issues with retail brands, and want the options like tongue, eyelets etc , Bauer or CCM would probably suit you, if you want to dish out the extra 200+. 

For me, my next customs will probably be CCM.  I really don't think Bauer skates are worth as much as they sell them for. Trues have been great for me but the only issue I have with retail is my 1/2 diff in sizes for each foot, which isn't a huge deal but I still notice the slightest diff in heel lock on my smaller foot.  I really love the comfort of my trues but I want to try a lighter skate for my next customs, which probably won't be until another 3 years as I just picked up some brand new retail as1s for cheap.