Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
boo10

New Skates, Bent Runners

So I just picked up a new pair of 9080 Tacks and had my first skate on them today.  Was having all kinds of trouble finding my edges, and just couldn't skate very well at all.  (For reference, I've been playing hockey for over 40 years and played very high level in my youth).  I noticed that my left skate kept want to turn right.  I took the runners out of the holders and have found that the left runner has a pretty significant bow in it.  The right has a very minor bow as well.

A couple of questions:

How can I tell if the bow is caused by a holder mismount?  I've tried to examine the holder, but my untrained eye can't see anything obvious.

Since the skates are brand new, (and $500 CAD at that), how would CCM handle this under warranty?  Are they likely to just replace the skates?

Maybe I've just been lucky, but in all my years of hockey, I've never had a bent runner before.  I'm assuming the bowed runners also resulted in uneven edges.

24 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Bent runners = crooked holders 

Get that fixed first.  

Thanks, I assumed as much.  Since they're brand new, do you think I'm best to try to get CCM to replace them? 

• Like 1

I believe Ccm has a 90 day no questions asked warranty. It should be no problem replacing them. Go to the shop you bought them at or go to their warranty page, you can call or email them from there.

• Like 2

Talked to CCM Warranty department today & got confirmation that the 90 day satisfaction guarantee applies to skates purchased prior to October 1st.  Think I'll just return them to the retailer, rather than mess around with remounting holders and straightening runners.

Edited by boo10
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

Talked to CCM Warranty department today & got confirmation that the 90 day satisfaction guarantee applies to skates purchased prior to October 1st.  Think I'll just return them to the retailer, rather than mess around with remounting holders and straightening runners.

That's the best option.