Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Phil8

Insoles

There are many options actually, the ones I know that successfully worked for me were the following options:

• Superfeet (preferably yellow)
  • Sole (https://yoursole.com/us/) (preferably active thin)
  • Bauer speedplates (just tried them on, so I can attest on the quality)

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that i need a good support in the arch, because my foot tends to roll inwards, causing my navicular bone to become more exposed causin pain.

Superfeet do not actually have arch support. They are a heel support to lock your heel in place. Yes they do raise your heel up, but they do not supply actual full arch support. If you have high arches, these would be the last ones that you should try. The CCM's have a high arch version and the Sidas, but they are hard to find. I just posted in another thread about the Fastech custom insoles. I've been using them for almost 2 years now and love them. They're custom made for your foot.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2018 at 6:40 AM, Phil8 said:

Forgot to mention that i need a good support in the arch, because my foot tends to roll inwards, causing my navicular bone to become more exposed causin pain.

If your foot is rolling inwards in the skate then you have other issues (most likely a foot / leg alignment issue), adding arch support isn't going to fix it. Why? Because the arch support has nothing to prop off to support your foot. In a shoe it will work because the ground provides a base for the arch support to work off but in an ice skate where you are trying to balance on a 1/8" wide piece of steel, there is nothing there for the arch support to use.

I suspect you are over pronating in your skates, read my post in this thread for further info 

On 10/1/2018 at 4:16 AM, Phil8 said:

Im searching for a insole that has a good arch support. Are the ccm orthomove good?? Any other option?

Thanks

The CCM Orthomove insoles are nice. We sell a bunch of them at our shops. Previously we sold quite a bit of Superfeet but most players now ask us for Bauer SpeedPlate 2.0 and the CCM offering. If you decide you want to get a pair let me know. Our shop can be anyone on price and we offer priority mail shipping free. 

15 hours ago, Vet88 said:

If your foot is rolling inwards in the skate then you have other issues (most likely a foot / leg alignment issue), adding arch support isn't going to fix it. Why? Because the arch support has nothing to prop off to support your foot. In a shoe it will work because the ground provides a base for the arch support to work off but in an ice skate where you are trying to balance on a 1/8" wide piece of steel, there is nothing there for the arch support to use.

I suspect you are over pronating in your skates, read my post in this thread for further info 

I agree and disagree with what you're saying. Yes, just trying to add support to the arch will not work if it's not done right. That said, if you get custom insoles, that is a whole different thing. If the insoles are designed to put your foot in the proper position, then it will definitely solve the issue. The insoles have to be built to sustain the arch and can be done. The ones I recommended from Fastech are specifically designed to just that for all different sports. They build them to your feet and with your feet in the proper anatomical position so when you put them in your skate, it puts you in the right positions.

They're pretty awesome and for $150, they're worth every penny.

9 hours ago, darkhors said:

I agree and disagree with what you're saying. Yes, just trying to add support to the arch will not work if it's not done right. That said, if you get custom insoles, that is a whole different thing. If the insoles are designed to put your foot in the proper position, then it will definitely solve the issue. The insoles have to be built to sustain the arch and can be done. The ones I recommended from Fastech are specifically designed to just that for all different sports. They build them to your feet and with your feet in the proper anatomical position so when you put them in your skate, it puts you in the right positions.

They're pretty awesome and for $150, they're worth every penny.

A custom insole makes no difference if you have a load bearing alignment issue that is part of your natural gait (such as that caused by pronation). You can do all you like for shaping the arch and neutral foot alignment but when you load up the inside edge with weight, your foot will collapse inwards and force the boot sideways towards the ice. We have tested this as part of a doctorate study into the bio mechanics of a foot inside an ice skate. The orthotics we used were hand cast from one of the most notable podiatrists in our country and were specifically made for an ice skate. Yes, in a shoe they work fine but in an ice skate, no. But if you were to train your muscles to counter the pronation (or take other steps such as holder realignment) then an orthotic will help but to expect an orthotic on its own to cure your problems, you will forever be disappointed with the result.

Still don't believe me? There is a simple test to prove this. Undo your laces, all the way down. Now go for a skate, I'm not asking you to do anything dramatic or put you into ankle breaking territory, just these 3 things: 1: Accelerate hard from a standing start using a cross over start and a v start. 2: Transition front to back (at any speed, but slow is recommended, and do both sides). 3: Build some speed then button hook as hard as you can. Now if your inside edge doesn't collapse on you in any of those 3 drills then congratulations, you have perfect neutral alignment and those orthotics are worth their weight in gold. But I'd be willing to bet anything that if you fitted those orthotics to address pronation (approx 70% of the human population over pronate) or your foot rolling in the boot then you will very quickly find out how they aren't the magic bullet you were after. Your own feet will tell you this as you start to feel the feedback from them as they collapse in the boot.

4 hours ago, tcc said:

Is there an “easy” way to correct pronation?  My right foot does it slightly.

Yes, moving the holder inwards (my preference of these 2 options) or shimming the outside of the holder. Ask any half decent figure skating coach, it's just part of putting a new skater into skates for them whereas in the ice hockey world it's a bury the head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist scenario.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 1:16 PM, Phil8 said:

Im searching for a insole that has a good arch support. Are the ccm orthomove good?? Any other option?

Thanks

http://www.formthotics.com/

Find your local dealer or buy online. Easy to trim to correct size, lightweight and good archsupport. You heat them up and they form to your feet. Takes up a bit of volume in the skates though.

another quick question, should i bake the skates with the oem insole and them change or should i bake them with the aftermarket one inside from the start?

18 minutes ago, Phil8 said:

another quick question, should i bake the skates with the oem insole and them change or should i bake them with the aftermarket one inside from the start?

You will want to bake the skates with the new insole in the boot. You're volume level will be slightly different than the stock insoles.

Edited by darkhors
  • Like 1