Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
stljrs

Bauer LS2+, LS3+ Black Steel

Are these just cosmetic black offered as exclusives to the discount chains?  These are not true Carbon steel correct?  Are they as good as the standard LS2/LS3 offerings?  Does the black wear off and look like crap after a while?

They come standard on some of the new skates.  Not available for replacement purchase.  Just trying to figure out if it’s worth paying a few more $ for the Bauer skates with regular LS steel instead of their skates made special for local shops that have the black steel.

3 hours ago, stljrs said:

They come standard on some of the new skates.  Not available for replacement purchase.  Just trying to figure out if it’s worth paying a few more $ for the Bauer skates with regular LS steel instead of their skates made special for local shops that have the black steel.

In general, skate manufacturers do not have the best reputation for putting quality steel on their skates sold at retail.  Since the vast, VAST majority of retail skate customers either (a) don't know good steel from bad; or (b) don't care, from a skate manufacturer's perspective, it's an obvious area for corner-cutting and cost reduction.  

If you really care about your steel, you'll buy whatever skates fit your feet best, then purchase a set or two of replacement runners from Tydan or Step* to use as your 'primary' blades.  Presuming you have blade holders that allow for easy blade replacement, you can always keep the steel that came with your skates as a back-up set - thereby eliminating the possibility of a broken blade or a damaged edge ruining your day.

*Note:  I am aware that there are other manufacturers of replacement steel (Massive, Bladetech, etc, etc, etc...).  These are just the two I have 'on ice' experience with and would recommend wholeheartedly.  

16 hours ago, stljrs said:

Are these just cosmetic black offered as exclusives to the discount chains?  These are not true Carbon steel correct?  Are they as good as the standard LS2/LS3 offerings?  Does the black wear off and look like crap after a while?

3 hours ago, stljrs said:

They come standard on some of the new skates.  Not available for replacement purchase. 

*emphasis added*

Yes, actually they are available for replacement purchase. 

Check 'em out here...

You are correct in your assumption that the 'black' is a coating.  Per the description:

• Soft inner core stainless steel offers enhanced edge quality and sharpness
  • Carbon-coated for premium edge retention and bite properties

Coming from someone that sharpens skates (but hasn't run across this particular blade yet...) I can tell you that these coatings can be nice...but they aren't, in any way, a panacea. They harden the outside of the steel, which, in general, keeps your skates sharper longer. However, since the edges ARE harder, they can be more difficult to get sharp in the first place...and, depending on the specific nature of the coating and the steel, the final edge tends to be somewhat brittle - meaning that instead of the edge 'rolling over' when you bang your blade into the post or the boards, the tip of the fang can actually break off at the point of impact, giving you that 'oh shit, I totally blew an edge!' feeling.

For me, however, the biggest issue with the coatings is that some people use TiN or Carbon coated blades as an excuse to not get their skates sharpened regularly - meaning that, every month or so, they bring me a pair of extremely dull, nicked up blades that are hard to sharpen and a bitch to deburr without a stone...which, of course, you're not supposed to use on coated blades.  These people get charged extra....😁

Edited by Santos L Halper
Clarity & grammar...

Those are LS5's.  One of the online retail stores mentioned the LS2+ and LS3+ blades come on the skates only.  If it's powder coated, will it wear off and how quickly when the person sharpening hones the edge meaning the cosmetics are quickly gone?  Which brings me back to is it even as "good" as the plain LS2 or LS3 steel

All-new this year is the LightSpeed 2+ black steel. This is a Sports Excellence exclusive, which means you can only find it on the Ignite Pro skate model. Players looking to buy this steel “aftermarket” are out of luck - It is only found on this skate.

"LS2+ has a 9-foot radius and is covered in a matte black powder coating which is a very popular look in today’s game. It is durable, maintains an edge, and just plain looks nice. It’ll give players who don’t want to shell out $950 for the 2S Pro skates with LS5 carbon an opportunity to have that same look at a more-affordable price."

11 hours ago, stljrs said:

Those are LS5's.  One of the online retail stores mentioned the LS2+ and LS3+ blades come on the skates only.  If it's powder coated, will it wear off and how quickly when the person sharpening hones the edge meaning the cosmetics are quickly gone?  Which brings me back to is it even as "good" as the plain LS2 or LS3 steel

All-new this year is the LightSpeed 2+ black steel. This is a Sports Excellence exclusive, which means you can only find it on the Ignite Pro skate model. Players looking to buy this steel “aftermarket” are out of luck - It is only found on this skate.

"LS2+ has a 9-foot radius and is covered in a matte black powder coating which is a very popular look in today’s game. It is durable, maintains an edge, and just plain looks nice. It’ll give players who don’t want to shell out $950 for the 2S Pro skates with LS5 carbon an opportunity to have that same look at a more-affordable price."

They are powdercoating the runners? once it chips or cracks , the finish is done. 

11 hours ago, stljrs said:

Got it.  My apologies.  I wasn't aware of the Sports Excellence exclusive blades.  You mentioned carbon steel, so I thought you were referring to the LS5; which is marketed as 'carbon steel', but is, in actuality, also a coating.

Based on the description you provided, what you're looking at appears to be almost purely cosmetic.  Or, put differently, those runners are black solely for the sake of being black.  Which is ridiculous.

All of my other points are still germane:

1. Stock steel from the major skate manufacturers is largely crap - including this black powder-coated stuff;
  2. Buy the skates that fit your feet and budget best, without regard to the steel that the manufacturer/retailer chooses to put on them.  Then, if you're so inclined, change the blades.  There are companies out there that make REALLY good replacement blades;
  3. Coated steel isn't a panacea.  Though it CAN hold a edge longer than uncoated steel, that edge can be brittle; and
  4. Even with coated steel, you still have to sharpen your skates regularly.

• Like 1

From a retail perspective that steel is a huge success.  While it offers no performance gains it appeals to the hordes of younger skaters out there.

21 hours ago, mojo122 said:

From a retail perspective that steel is a huge success.  While it offers no performance gains it appeals to the hordes of younger skaters out there.

now Black Tuuks on the other hand....