Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
clarkiestooth

Let's Talk Elbow Pads

I’ve had the Warrior Alpha QX Pro for about three weeks. They are ok. They feel a little bulky, but I wonder if that is the price of protection and comfort. 

I have longish arms and wear a medium, but feel like I always have the straps pulled about as tight as they can go, regardless of the pad. Before this I had Rebook 10ks. They felt a touch too wide once they broke in, and again I had the straps pulled right. 

For me, its hard to get the true feel of elbows in the store. Gloves I can try on and have a feeling of how they’ll break in for my hand, but elbows feel like way more of a shot in the dark. Definitely the least fun/interesting piece of equipment to buy.  

Since we are talking elbow pads... I have a pair of APXs that the strapping is stretched off and tearing, and one of the caps looks pretty rough as well. Am considering another set of 1x/x900lites, but have always had issues  with the forearm strap coming off during play. Wondering if anyone else has any suggestions what else might be out there that might have a similar or better fit?

i did have a pair of U+back when, and absolutely hated them...

On 10/24/2018 at 11:21 PM, Siponarius said:

Since we are talking elbow pads... I have a pair of APXs that the strapping is stretched off and tearing, and one of the caps looks pretty rough as well. Am considering another set of 1x/x900lites, but have always had issues  with the forearm strap coming off during play. Wondering if anyone else has any suggestions what else might be out there that might have a similar or better fit?

I have the 900 Lites and I’ve never had any of the straps one loose in any of my tight or looser jerseys. They also don’t move at all like my old 1Xs did.

• Like 1

Is anyone able to articulate the difference between the 7092 and the 5092? I’ve looked at specs online, and it’s mostly meaningless jargon. 

Im gonna try some on tomorrow, if Pure Hockey has any, but their elbow selection is spotty. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, althoma1 said:

With that said, I won't need to search for elbow pads any time soon as I'm really happy with my 2012 Warrior Projekts (the blue and grey ones; not the 2010 mainly white ones) and have a small stockpile. I've tried a lot of elbow pads before those and even briefly tried Warrior AX1's while I had the Projekts (I sold those, good pads, but I preferred the projekts) and have tried on most new pads high end pads when they come out. I haven't found anything that has tempted me to move away from the Projekts…... The Projekts have a deep cap that and a neoprene strap that locks your arm in well, are light and a three piece pad so they're very mobile. Nic Backstrom and James Neal have used pro versions of the Projekts in the NHL as recently as last season (not sure about this year, but I have seen pictures and videos of them with the Projekts as recently as last year).

Have you had any experience with the white Warrior Pro Series elbows? Seems to be a lot of pro stock ones floating around the internet.

5 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

Have you had any experience with the white Warrior Pro Series elbows? Seems to be a lot of pro stock ones floating around the internet.

I have a pair of Pro stock blue and grey projekts. They fit the same as the retail versions, but just have slightly thicker padding for more protection.. I haven't used or handled the white Warrior Pro pads. 

15 hours ago, start_today said:

Is anyone able to articulate the difference between the 7092 and the 5092? I’ve looked at specs online, and it’s mostly meaningless jargon. 

Im gonna try some on tomorrow, if Pure Hockey has any, but their elbow selection is spotty. 

I am not 100% sure beyond the d30 foam in the 7092. That being said, I don’t think the d30 does anything. I have the 6052 elbows that have it, and it is so thin and hard I honestly wish it wasn’t there. I have taken a few falls where I landed right on the d30. Ouch. I wish there was just some normal foam instead. I have seen some of the newer ccm stuff has d30 lite, which actually seemed more squishy and padded than what is in mine, so maybe the new stuff is better. But my opinion of d30 is that it looks and sounds cool, and doesn’t do much beyond that. 

Pretty happy with the straps and the fit though. They have held up just fine

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2018 at 3:21 PM, Siponarius said:

Can second that the 1Xs do not stay on your elbows very well.

On 10/28/2018 at 7:43 PM, specs78 said:

But my opinion of d30 is that it looks and sounds cool, and doesn’t do much beyond that. 

I have knee pads with D3O and boxer shorts with a D3O coccyx pad for public skating and the D3O makes a huge difference. Prior to using the shorts I was off sick from work after a fall on my backside, and in general a fall would require a five minute rest to recover. Since using them I've fallen, it still hurts, but I can get up and carry on skating straight away without any bruising. So yes it does work, though I don't argue with your statement, maybe it's not used well in your pads. 

3 hours ago, Leif said:

I have knee pads with D3O and boxer shorts with a D3O coccyx pad for public skating and the D3O makes a huge difference. Prior to using the shorts I was off sick from work after a fall on my backside, and in general a fall would require a five minute rest to recover. Since using them I've fallen, it still hurts, but I can get up and carry on skating straight away without any bruising. So yes it does work, though I don't argue with your statement, maybe it's not used well in your pads. 

Yeah, that's really more my point. D3O may be amazing, but the way it is used in my particular pads it seems like a gimmick. Too little, too thin and too firm to do much. If I were to get these pads again, I would seriously look at the one step down version that just has regular padding in the elbow pocket.

4 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

Ended up with the CCM Tacks 7092. Perfect amount of protection and mobility, very similar to my Jofas.  One note: CCM run smaller than the Jofa, my Jofa are medium, CCM are large.

Those are the closest things I’ve found to being comfortable. Still not enough to actually buy them though. 

The Tacks line from CCM is pretty much the continuation of the RBK line which was a continuation of the Jofa pads.

They are shorter than Jofa tended to be though.  Personally I have the 7092s and love em.

Went to PHL looking to replace those APXs I mentioned. Tried the 1x and 900 lites, weren’t sold on them, tried the jeespeed and the ultra tacks, same thing... then stumbled upon a pair of clearance Quicklites. 

Been using them a few weeks now and absolutely dig them. 

Warrior Dynasty HD Pro have an extended slash guard protection. They also fit quite large. As such I believe in a 1:1 comparison of a Sr. L these might offer the most forearm protection on the market.

Does anyone know if the length of the 7092 vs Super Tacks is the same or similar?

I have a set of AX1's I just can't replace but they are on their death bed. I found the elbow donut in the Ultra tacks to be very uncomfortable, it like pinched my elbow weird. I see the new line they've shallowed that a bit. Anyone experience this in the ultra vs the super?

Edited by enis750

1 hour ago, enis750 said:

anyone?

I purchased the 7092's on Sunday. I did try the Super Tacks on. I don't remember any discernible difference in length between the two. At least nothing that stood out.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 11:47 AM, Nicholas G said:

It's the same to about 2mm. I measured today in the store.  

Thx!

I had a GC and ended up w the Super Tacks. So far I love them, think I finally found a replacement for my old AX1's! 

I have a pair of Bauer Nexus ones, however the labels worn and I can't remember what size they are. The elastic has stretched and the buggers slip down my arm. I don't fancy buying 4 pairs then sending 3 back. My best shop is a 5 hour round trip.