Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

All my life I have been using the wrong type of stick!

I never take big clappers or extremely powerful shots from far out, above the top of the circles, so I have always focused on sticks with a quick release.

Today, for shits and giggles, I decided to test out a True A5.2 SBP stick in a much higher flex than I usually use.

To my surprise I was able to shoot more accurately and powerful in longer than I can even recall! 

I understand the SBP is more of a variable kick point but the power and accuracy of my shots, all shots, compared to my typical A6.0HT and QRE was very noticable. 

I have to say that sometimes it's good to try something new and different as opposed to what you're used to. You never know what the result might be. 

I also found the slightly heavier weight of the A5.2 to be very satisfying. Normally, I prefer the lightest sticks on the market, and while it's only about 420 grams, which is still very light, it's slightly heavier than I normally use. I really liked the small amount of added weight though! 

• Like 1

I've found the 85 Flex A5.2 to play and feel very similar to a 75 flex Bauer Nexus or CCM Tacks 2.0. They play very whippy.

But it's an awesome stick. I just picked up two more 75 Flex A5.2s for my youngest son on clearance at Sportchek - $129.99 for the first stick, and 50% off ($64.99) for the second. Can't beat that deal!

Agreed on the weight too, its a well balanced stick overall.

colins

I used to play with a 95-100 flex back in the day- granted I’m not as strong as I used to be but I’ve always felt much more stable on the puck and my shots feel more consistent with a stick that doesn’t have much “give” or torque.

I recently went from 75 back to 85 and had a similar revelation to you- though I probably knew this all along and have been drinking the whippy flex kool aid for a while now!

12 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

I used to play with a 95-100 flex back in the day- granted I’m not as strong as I used to be but I’ve always felt much more stable on the puck and my shots feel more consistent with a stick that doesn’t have much “give” or torque.

I recently went from 75 back to 85 and had a similar revelation to you- though I probably knew this all along and have been drinking the whippy flex kool aid for a while now!

Back in the day, I dont even know what I used. An Easton Cyclone and it was likely a 100+ flex stick. I had that thing all the way through juniors and the beginning of college when I got hurt and stopped playing before the season kicked off. After taking more than a decade off from the sport and coming back I think the first stick I picked up was a 55 flex Easton. Not because of the lower flex rating or anything, it just fit the height I was used to and I didn't have to cut it. Being composite it also felt decently stiff as well. I think it was an Easton HTX/HSX or similar. 

I am going to try a 95 flex stick this week. I really love the feel of this stick. Not sure if its the flex profile, flex rating, or a combination of everything, but I want to see if a low kick stick feels the same in a higher flex. 

On a low kickpoint stick, a stiffer flex is going to get the puck off faster as there won't be as much lag - it won't deflect as far.  Conversely, a high kickpoint stick will benefit from a softer flex to have the chance to spool up more energy before it recoils.

Funny thing, my story is kind of opposite to yours. For the longest time, I used stiffer sticks, like rebar stiff. Didn't think the stick mattered beyond weight because, well, I sucked regardless. Quick wristers and snaps were pretty sad all around, so relied a lot on slapshots for anything at a distance. Then one day I picked up a 55 flex for giggles, just to see what it'd be like. Suddenly, accuracy and power on snaps and wristers went up, and everything just felt right. 

Personally, I like the lag. For me, it feels like I can decide to shoot first, and then while in mid-shot, I can read the goalie, decide where it's going, and adjust to get it there.