Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Circa6683

Choosing best cage color for visibility

After seeing a couple guys take a puck to the face recently I've decided to switch to a full cage for the first time. I'm not sure if the color/finish really helps with visibility. I've heard white is the best for blending in, anyone have experience with this? All help is appreciated.

I've found the the flatter, oval shaped bars have more of an effect on visibility than the difference between the gunmetal or white. I've been wearing a Bauer 7500 since they came out with no desire to change. 

• Like 3

I agree with Monty. Get something with flatter/thinner bars. The titanium cages from Bauer (Reakt) and CCM (Fitlite) are both very good. The titanium cages are also lighter than steel and won't rust. I have tried both the Bauer Reakt and the CCM Fitlite titanium and they're both very light with great visibility.

The CCM fits a bit longer and wider in the same size (I had both in large) which was a better fit for my face and helmet; that's why I prefer the CCM, but if the Reakt fits you well then it's a great cage. I'd just try those two on in a store with your helmet and buy the one that fits you best. Remember, you don't have to buy the same size cage as your helmet - you can go up or down a size if that fits your face better.

• Like 2

I have a fitlite with white bars and it just vanishes. The flat bars really make a difference. I had been wearing a Bauer concept 3 shield and got tired of the fog issues, so I went cage. I found that there was a really obvious difference in vision between the Bauer and ccm cages based on where the bars landed. For me, the Bauer bars felt like they were right where I was looking, and the ccm bars felt out of the way. If you can, bring your helmet in see how the cages would actually sit. I was surprised how much it mattered for me 

• Like 2

I agree that flat bars help more than color, though from a goalie perspective I find white to be MUCH better than any darker color so I try to stick with that generally. 

All of that said, a cage where the bars are JUST in the right spot will be the best for your visibility regardless of shape or color. 

• Like 1

Two things that people often inexplicably overlook, then complain that they can’t see out of the cage-

1) buy the correct size for your face. Don’t buy one two sizes too big. 

2) don’t “hang” the cage 3 inches from your chin, wear it like it’s designed. 

I think if people would quit doing that, they wouldn’t have such a problem adapting. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, start_today said:

Two things that people often inexplicably overlook, then complain that they can’t see out of the cage-

1) buy the correct size for your face. Don’t buy one two sizes too big. 

2) don’t “hang” the cage 3 inches from your chin, wear it like it’s designed. 

I think if people would quit doing that, they wouldn’t have such a problem adapting. 

Heh, my suggestions were assuming you actually put it on properly 🤨

17 hours ago, hellaavangard said:

+1 for the Re-akt cage

11 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Agreed +2

Love the re-akt cage for weight. Though I found the sightlines slightly off for me. 

Does anyone know how the Bauer titanium cage fits compared to their other cages?

I'm using a Profile II and badly want to upgrade.  I went to my two closest LHS today and neither stocked the cage, so I may be going online without being able to test fit.

I have been tempted by it, but I'm an extreme headsweater. It's ridiculous, tbh, and I'm convinced a fishbowl would be useless by the second or third shift. Love the idea though...

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

Does anyone know how the Bauer titanium cage fits compared to their other cages?

I'm using a Profile II and badly want to upgrade.  I went to my two closest LHS today and neither stocked the cage, so I may be going online without being able to test fit.

Fits very similar to the Profile II and Profile III 

13 hours ago, Paddy said:

I bought a Bauer Re-akt cage for my large 4500 and Reakt 200 helmets. It needed widening a bit before it would fit properly, not easy but doable by hand. Much better than the normal cage I had before. 

Edited by Leif

11 hours ago, Left Wing King said:

Went from a cage to a fishbow! Loved it, wouldn't switch back.

I have a fishbowl. I tried it once and within minutes it was dripping with moisture, totally useless on our cold damp rink. I tried washing up liquid on my eyeglasses during public skating, and it sort of works, but the air is so humid and cold that they did steam up a bit. The Bauer hybrid visor-cage is an alternative, more airflow than a fishbowl, more protection than a visor. 

Someone at our rink got a puck in the face and lost four teeth. Oddly enough lots of players then switched from a visor to a cage, even though months earlier I'd expressed concern that they wore visors. At their rec sessions there is an ex-pro Slovak who is first rate, who takes slap shots even when someone is between him and the goal, I've taken a few from him. And I will be wearing a neck guard in future at those sessions, a puck to the throat could kill. I took a puck to the ribs last week, and that hit a non padded area, and it hurt. 

I think a puck to the teeth would improve some of our team! 

I remember our keeper took a slapper to the neck, he was struggling to breathe for a good 15 minutes, probably had a fag after 20! The next session back he had the plastic neck guard on, first slapper, same guy, snapped the thing in half!

Back to the fishbowl, I use a small drizzle of washing up liquid, rub it in, inside and out, then any excess is taken off with a cloth. We're quite lucky with the rink atmospherics.

I don't like a cage that blends in. Seeing the bars helps me look past them and focus on what matters.

Currently using the Bauer titanium cage, love it. 

• Like 1