Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
bunnyman666

The new, athletic position of goalie

Admittedly, I was not a fan and am STILL quite skeptical about the continual whittling down of goal equipment; however- this could ACTUALLY produce a more exciting to watch game. 

Because the chest protector is getting whittled down (and STILL needs a LOT of work because goalies are complaining about stingers and bruises), this will start to end the “drop and block” style of goal tending. I don’t see the return of the “stand up” tender by any means, but what I do see coming, ESPECIALLY from  the standpoint of gloves starting to shrink more and the net eventually growing is a return of a goalie challenging the shooter and a bit more action on the part of the goalie. 

Again- I was very publicly against the further shrinkage of goal equipment, especially since this was done hastily and WITHOUT safety in mind. On another forum, I have proclaimed many times that “Boris (Gary) Bettman wants goalies fatigued and hurt, which will start his goal orgy!” and I STILL feel that way, but the smaller equipment will result in a more athletic goalie. But this may actually make the game more exciting because a new style of play will evolve as a result of the ever-shrinking equipment.

The mask will CERTAINLY need a makeover. Pro goalies are getting concussed like crazy with the 1970’s tech. I know- concussions can happen “like that”, but it is time for some 21st century tech as the modern goalie mask traces its origins to Dave Dryden’s combo and not all that much has changed since! This could end up being a very interesting development, as the evolving game may necessitate different head gear. 

I famously was using old-spec equipment. That stuff is BLOODY hard to play like an athletic goalie in!  When I moved back to modern spec, I could move better. I bought a new Brian's Sub Z 3 chesty, and ended up grafting my Warrior floaters on in order to make the chesty a little more mobile and not have them pop up into my mask all the time. I did not get my arms narrowed on this unit, but did get them beefed up as I was feeling shots there. Since I am on the brink of being an “intermediate” size, I am also thinking of spec’ing my pads as intermediate width. This is only to allow me to move better.  I think that modern Intermediate sized gloves will be the new pro template for the NHL.

What say you, modsquaders? 

I'm 100% all for streamlined gear for many reasons. I agree that the drop and block can be boring but its generally playing the percentages. Analytics these days, etc.

That said I don't want the gear to be less protective either. What they really should (and should have already) be doing is working on newer technologies. New foams, plastics, and other composites where they can make everything smaller but no less protective. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 4:43 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I'm 100% all for streamlined gear for many reasons. I agree that the drop and block can be boring but its generally playing the percentages. Analytics these days, etc.

That said I don't want the gear to be less protective either. What they really should (and should have already) be doing is working on newer technologies. New foams, plastics, and other composites where they can make everything smaller but no less protective. 

IMO The new chesty was hastily rushed to market, though I do detect some kicking and screaming to go along with the new specs. That being said- it seems that the one manufacturer that is “getting” it could be Kenesky. It seems that some manufacturers are merely chopping the chesties down, rather than re-engineering them.

I do think the WHOLE game should be nurtured and not just the scoring orgy that Boris is demanding. To me, great saves are JUST as exciting if not MORE exciting than a goal. Of course I think this fascination with scoring is an American thing.

Fast forward to game 7 of the Cup Finals, and drop ‘n’ block has returned and is here to stay. There was a slight return to athletic play, but drop ‘n’ block is still preferred method of play. The chesties got better, but scoring has increased from other means. I hope the scoring has increased enough to satiate the powers that be so they stop fiddling with our equipment.