Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
sticktime

Flat feet

46 yrs old, started skating about 4 yrs ago.   

Currently skating tacks 5092, have s180’s, x90’s and mako 2’s.  

The issue I have with every skate is that the heel feels like it’s too high, like it’s pushing up on the bottom of my foot, starting from like just behind my mid-foot but more towards the back third.  In other words, it feels like I’m on high heels.   With all of the skates.

So I’m wondering, had anyone had the same issue and what did you do about it?  

I’m wondering if a simple fix would be to simply put a reverse pitch on the blade?   To even out.  Seems like this would be an Occam’s Razor fix (the simplest solution is usually the best)

I’ve  tried to cut half an insole for the front half or front third of my foot to try to achieve the same effect but it doesn’t work.

23 hours ago, sticktime said:

The issue I have with every skate is that the heel feels like it’s too high, like it’s pushing up on the bottom of my foot, starting from like just behind my mid-foot but more towards the back third.  In other words, it feels like I’m on high heels.   With all of the skates.

I’m wondering if a simple fix would be to simply put a reverse pitch on the blade?   To even out.  Seems like this would be an Occam’s Razor fix (the simplest solution is usually the best)

I’ve  tried to cut half an insole for the front half or front third of my foot to try to achieve the same effect but it doesn’t work.

I used to have that problem. The issue was that my arch was further forward than the typical foot so it wasn't supported even though my arch is not very high to begin with. So most of my weight was on the ball of my foot and on the heel area since the skate's built-in arch is closer to the heel. Superfeet didn't work for me either since their arch is closer to the heel to accommodate the average foot. I ended up getting Graf/Sidas molded insoles which supported the whole sole of my foot in Bauer Flexlites. With my current VH skates the stock insoles work well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sticktime said:

Do you notice a difference between your CCms and your Bauers? Generally, CCMs are pitched forward a bit more than Bauers. Any way, if you want to be more on your heels, changing your pitch would be one of the first things to try. 

They all feel the same way to me: slightly pitched forward and pushing up on the back 1/3rd of my foot.   

I googled old hockey skates and from what I see, at a certain time period they began to look like figure skates at least from the standpoint of a raised heel.   In other words, it seems like before the change it looks like most skates had the same height of the front and back towers.  But then I’m sure people profiled the blade for forebears lean.   

But maybe that evenness allowed people of all foot types to learn to skate better as kids or adults.  But now, since all skates have a higher tower the back, people who learned to skate at a young age are just adapted.

So to boil it down, you always hear that you want to be on your toes, whether that’s by the way the skate is made, or getting even more with heel lifts, or pitching the blade.  Or for those wild and crazy guys, lifts and pitch on blade.   

It seems like if you had a reverse pitch, one that evened out the pitch of the boot, would make you sit flat.  What I can’t fifure out though is if when you step on the ice will it make you start gliding backwards.   

5 hours ago, sticktime said:

It seems like if you had a reverse pitch, one that evened out the pitch of the boot, would make you sit flat.  What I can’t fifure out though is if when you step on the ice will it make you start gliding backwards

Why would it make you glide backwards? Blades that are pitched forward don't make you go forward.It's not like you're standing on a hill on rollerskates. Shifting weight and pushing off what gets you moving.

Think of it this way. Your foot is level with the ice.When you pitch your blades to put your foot in a neutral position, the flat of the blade is still flat to the ice. Everything else may be tilted in between but those two things will be parallel.

That is correct though still wondering if anyone had experience with a negative pitch on their blade?

If I recall correctly there were some guys on here that did it with their Mako’s.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:56 PM, sticktime said:

These are two separate issues....if I am reading it right 

1) The pushing up on the middle of your foot is due to arch placement.

There are footbeds or innersoles out there that correct that. You can't correct arch placement with lefts, shims or profiles.

2) Feeling like you are too high on your heels.

Thsts a combination of boot pitch, holder and blade profile. There are a number of ways to deal with this, but before you alter your skate or your steel it's important to note that being up on the balls of your feet is where you want to be. 

That’s it.    I feel like if I get a negative pitch on the blade that when leaning forward I’ll be able to put maximum pressure on my forefoot, thus up on my toes.   

I’m going to maybe try that this week and report back.

You're going to want to get custom insoles. The issue is with your foot, not the skate. Hockey skates don't have any arch support built into them and the stock insoles are garbage. I had the same issue with my Vapors until I got insoles and now I don't have any foot pain issues. You will most likely still need to have the blade profiled so you don't feel like you're on your toes, but if you're having pain in your foot, you need to fix that problem first then change the profile to accommodate that.