Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
wetwilly17

new skate help

unfortunately no lhs near me...im currently wearing alkali rpd max, size 8.  i love the boot as i was able to mold them for a great fit but they're wearing out.  i used to have vapor rx60 but they were too shallow for me and the heel fit wasnt snug enough or deeep enough for my pronounced heel.

i have a skinny foot, medium to medium-high volume.  the alkali boot wrapped nicely around my skinny foot during heat molding and was great volume-wise.

i havent worn missions since mid 2000s when they had completely different fit.  inlinewarehouse typically categorizes them as a wider fit.  the alkali rpd max were wider also but the moldability allowed them to fit me perfectly.  would the new missions mold in the same way?

would i be size 8.5 in mission?

also, do missions still have the super high arch they used to have 15-20 years ago?  that used to kill my feet.

any other suggestions for new skates based on my foot description?

thanks!

I believe you'd drop a half size with Mission vs. Alkali and not go up a size. So if you're an 8 in Alkali then you'd be a 7.5 in the current Mission lines (old Mission sizing was different). The current Mission lines are based on the Bauer Supreme last; so if you can figure out your size in Supreme ice skates then that should be your Mission size. With that said, the Mission skates might be a bit wide for your foot.

With your foot description, you might want to try the Verbero Cypress Pro+ skates. The Cypress fit narrower than the old Vortex boots (the Vortex fit wide) and are supposed to be similar lengthwise to current Bauers according to the Verbero sizing chart. So you'd likely be a 7.5 in those. It's a one piece carbon fiber boot with Konnix Pure wheels (my current favourite high end indoor wheels): https://www.verbero.com/collections/skates/products/cypress-pro-plus-inline-skate. If you sign up to the Verbero and Tron mailing lists you may be able to catch a sale and get them for less than the $499 they currently are; they're now owned by Tron and it looks like Tron is clearing out most things with various sales. Their ice skates dropped down as low as $250 in recent sales. 

Edited by althoma1

thanks for the suggestion.  i looked at the verbero but couldnt find reviews of their inline skates. also, it appears that the second wheel isnt recessed, something many were critical of when alkali first came out, prompting them to correct it on their 2nd gen skates.  all 80 is tall enough as it is.

what about the new tacks that are coming out soon?

Tacks fit somewhat similar to Supremes. In the CCM line, the Jetspeed or Ribcore skates would be more suited for someone with a narrower foot. Personally, I use and really like the Sprung chassis; so finding a boot that fits well (roller or ice) and then having a conversion done is another option you could consider. The Sprungs are selling for $89 now. 

just tried on some supremes and they felt good - way better than vapors.  how close are missions to supremes?  i liked the depth of the supreme boot and the heel lock.  forefoot was good.

edit:  i especially interested in knowing if missions have the same tight heel padding on each side of the skate like the supremes do.

Edited by wetwilly17