Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
getthekidthepuck

Attention ex Drury users!

Hi Guys,

I am having a hard time finding right handed Drury's 80-85 flex and I am considering switching over to something more readily available. I have been using the Drury for years. Has anyone had any luck transitioning to another curve. I just bought a Trigger 2 p28 to try out. Any guidance would be helpful.

Thanks,

Riggs

P28 sucked for me coming from Drury/P106. I can’t stand anything with a huge toe hook as I use my backhand all the time and prefer that extra real estate at the end of the blade. 

Just keep an eye out on ProStockHockey, eBay, or sideline. They literally pop up all the time in those specs. 

https://www.prostockhockey.com/hockey-sticks/player-sticks/right-joe-pavelski-dynasty-hd1-dressed-as-covert-qrl-75-flex-stick-4/

https://www.prostockhockey.com/hockey-sticks/player-sticks/right-joe-pavelski-dynasty-hd1-dressed-as-covert-qrl-85-flex-stick-5/

https://www.prostockhockey.com/hockey-sticks/player-sticks/right-team-stock-rbz-stage-2-85-flex-stick-3/

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/sticks/481956-ccm-new-ribcor-trigger2-pmt-stick-right-80-ncaa-return

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

P28 sucked for me coming from Drury/P106. I can’t stand anything with a huge toe hook as I use my backhand all the time and prefer that extra real estate at the end of the blade. 

Just keep an eye out on ProStockHockey, eBay, or sideline. They literally pop up all the time in those specs. 

Thanks for the advice!

I was a devout heel curve user for decades.  Knowing in advance that they were being phased out I transitioned to a P92.  As for saucing, if your technique is good you can sauce with any curve.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, getthekidthepuck said:

I am in Canada and dont want to fork out the exchange rate. I mostly use Kijji.

Check out a Sher-Wood PP09 if you get the opportunity, it's another heel with a shorter blade. Just as difficult to find, but nice.

• Like 1

I am/was a Drury-style user and currently in love with the P28. Up until the middle of the curve it handles very much like a P91, but thanks to the toe hook you can fire off shots much faster though it takes more work to have the same accuracy.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2018 at 5:05 PM, mojo122 said:

I was a devout heel curve user for decades.  Knowing in advance that they were being phased out I transitioned to a P92.  As for saucing, if your technique is good you can sauce with any curve.

I am with Mojo, I used heel wedges for most my life until ~2014 went to Sakic then Gionta curve currently using p28, just need tiem to adjust, try a CCM p29 first then bauer p92 as CCM has more heel from my experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haggerty said:

I am with Mojo, I used heel wedges for most my life until ~2014 went to Sakic then Gionta curve currently using p28, just need tiem to adjust, try a CCM p29 first then bauer p92 as CCM has more heel from my experience.

What was the hardest adjustment?

Apparently these are the equivalents to the Drury curve with other brands: You can get them made by Base to whatever specs you want and I see a fair amount of Warrior W05 curves around.

BASE SR Curves Lie Options Bauer Easton CCM SherWood TRUE Warrior

BH23 4, 4.75, 5.5, 6(LH) P91A - Staal E6 - Drury P15 - Jones PP20 HCR W05 - Granlund
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2018 at 10:52 PM, chippa13 said:

P28 is the anti-Drury and a curve that I watch most beer leaguers struggle with. Pro stocks are always available in a Drury/YP/P91A.

It has a lot of similarities to the YP/Drury, so I’d say calling it the anti-Drury isn’t really accurate. They’re definitely not the same pattern, but X28 still shows its Drury origins in both form and function.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 1

The X28 is a dual heel and toe curve. The blade face and heel curve of the X28 both come from the Drury. It’s a Drury curve that’s been modified with a toe curve and a more aggressive rocker along the toe. If you line them up you can see where the Drury was morphed into the X28.

They play differently but they’re still similar in a lot of ways. If the Drury were a haircut, it would be a preppy fade, where the X28 would be that same fade at the start with a party at the toe; a mullet in a blade pattern.

Edited by flip12
Font size was huge.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2018 at 3:29 PM, getthekidthepuck said:

Hi Guys,

I am having a hard time finding right handed Drury's 80-85 flex and I am considering switching over to something more readily available. I have been using the Drury for years. Has anyone had any luck transitioning to another curve. I just bought a Trigger 2 p28 to try out. Any guidance would be helpful.

Thanks,

Riggs

I just started using the Drury and love it. Planning to stockpile sticks. How does the P106 compare to the Drury? 

I'd say get one or two good-quality shafts in your preferred flex, then stockpile Drury blades. That's usually a winning formula for people who like rarer patterns. That way, you pay less "per Drury," and an 85 flex shaft + a Drury blade is much easier to find than an 85-flex RH Drury one-piece stick. BASE makes Drury (BH23) blades in several different lies, and you can pick your blade stiffness and coating. Otherwise, there are some other manufacturers who still make replacement blades, or you can find old ones or pro stock online.

Incidentally, I just tried BASE's Lie 4 Drury blade yesterday, and that was an interesting experience. Longest stick I've ever used, but I still had plenty of blade on the ice.

• Like 2

I went from the e6 to the 28. It was weird playing d with the 28 but I liked the toe actually, just had to really rearrange my shot to keep it low from the point. The 28 took a long time for me to get used to coming from the e6, but I supposed it depends more on your style of play and mechanics than anything else. 

Ended up going back to the e4 cammaleri, which I still have 2 of, and the 88, which I like a lot. I use the Sherwood 77 Coffey for outdoor roller as I have a bunch of those in abs blades. 

• Thanks 1