Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ghostrider17

Skate replacement for Easton Mako

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I think it depends. The mouldability of the Trues is forgiving unless the width is off in the forefoot / toecap area by quite a bit.  I guess the heel pocket size is an area that isn't that mouldable either  esp if it's too large  Retail skates are sized using the avg person in x sizes and width. Whereas a custom u might end up with someone with crazy proportions. But you're right, either options the skate wasn't made for u. 

So, more to the original topic since my son and I are both in our last Makos (actually, he grew into my last pair that were still NIB).  So, need to start thinking seriously about this problem, since he will likely need a new pair within a season and is at a critical point in his hockey "career" (for lack of a better term).  The assumption was that he would transition into Trues when the time came.  A friend of mine who is pretty well versed in skate fitting argues that for what you pay for Trues, you can get a custom skate from the other guys.  No, they're not as moldable, but 1) they're truely (pardon the pun) custom.  2) lighter than Trues and 3) I know the True defenders will argue with this, but he has seen more problems with Trues than other custom skates.  EVen True defenders should contend that the finish on them is not on par with Bauer or CCM.  Aside from the fit argument, another argument would be, if you're paying a grand for skates, the finish should be friggin awesome.  I personally don't care about aesthetics (heck I wore the first Makos... yuck), but the finish does speak to the Quality Control.  There have been a number of complaints about little issues with Trues and then some others that are not so little. 

So, my question is this, why is my buddy wrong?  A custom skate should fit like a glove, and Trues are the same price (roughly) as a custom from Bauer or CCM, so, why not the other custom options?  I'm not beating up on True as a brand, that's why it's in this thread as opposed to the True thread.  By rights, if paying that much, a custom skate should fit just as well, right?

Thanks,

Steve

Bauer and CCM total.customs are about 200 more than trues so the price isn't the same. 

Bauer and CCM skates are high pressure moulded to your custom skate last. True builds their skates around your last from the inside out.  It's s totally diff process. Bauer and CCM don't incorporate a built in custom arch. True does.  That's why CCM still includes the brutal orthomoves, and Bauer had the speedplates. 

True skates are a totally different feel and fit than Bauer and CCM so it's not for everyone.  Even the scanning is done differently. Bauer you're standing. CCM you're sitting. True you're in a lunge position.  Because the skates are built off those scans in diff positions, even if they are all custom to your foot, each skate will feel and fit differently. What you prefer is up to you... 

I've discussed it before in the true thread how the heel pocket is deeper because of how you're scanned and ppl feel that bc of this their heel doesn't feel as locked when standing or walking vs Bauer and CCM. U have to remember that Bauer and CCM skates are made from a scan of your foot that isn't in a dynamic position. So the heel pocket isn't as deep and feels snugger standing and walking. But on the ice we aren't upright. We're bent forward and knees ankles flexed.

Again it's personal preference what you want in your skates and how you want them to feel. Crappy thing is you won't know until you try the Trues and usually it's getting a pair and spending the money, or trying to find a used pair that is ur size and hoping it's close to your specs so you have an idea what you're getting. 

If you're happy with Bauer or CCM retails for the most part minus a few minor things, it's probably safe to go with their custom version as there won't be any surprises. Going from Bauer or CCM to trues is a big change. When I first switched over it took me a good 12 skates to be comfortable and not thinking about how it felt different. There's def an adjustment period. 

Although the finish on the Trues can be hit or miss ,imo, the overall feel and construction of the true boots feel more sturdy and more durable. CCM and Bauer feel like a thin carbon layer over a thermoformable plastic  whereas true feels rock hard and you know it's all carbon on the lower half.

Also I've seen a few custom ccms that have uneven stitching etc. I think that's just what happens with custom skates that are ... Made in Canada? Lol. Seems like ppl criticize made in China or Asia stuff but they seem to know what they are doing with sewing machines vs North American factories. It's a dying skill in North America vs Asia. 

I'm sure all three brands are great skates but I'll say it again, it's all personal preference. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, qmechanic said:

The reason I have stayed away from True is because I heard it's way stiffer than the Easton Mako skates. I really like my skates to be less stiff.

They are way stiffer in ur hands but skating wise they don't feel remotely as stiff as you think they will be. I can squeeze the as1s in my hands easier than my trues but the as1s felt stiffer while skating. Trues eyelets and height of the boot allows for proper forward flexion. I had to really loosen the top eyelet on my as1s to get a similar knee bend. 

Mind you I've never tried the mako so...

11 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Bauer and CCM total.customs are about 200 more than trues so the price isn't the same. 

Bauer and CCM skates are high pressure moulded to your custom skate last. True builds their skates around your last from the inside out.  It's s totally diff process. Bauer and CCM don't incorporate a built in custom arch. True does.  That's why CCM still includes the brutal orthomoves, and Bauer had the speedplates. 

True skates are a totally different feel and fit than Bauer and CCM so it's not for everyone.  Even the scanning is done differently. Bauer you're standing. CCM you're sitting. True you're in a lunge position.  Because the skates are built off those scans in diff positions, even if they are all custom to your foot, each skate will feel and fit differently. What you prefer is up to you... 

I've discussed it before in the true thread how the heel pocket is deeper because of how you're scanned and ppl feel that bc of this their heel doesn't feel as locked when standing or walking vs Bauer and CCM. U have to remember that Bauer and CCM skates are made from a scan of your foot that isn't in a dynamic position. So the heel pocket isn't as deep and feels snugger standing and walking. But on the ice we aren't upright. We're bent forward and knees ankles flexed.

Again it's personal preference what you want in your skates and how you want them to feel. Crappy thing is you won't know until you try the Trues and usually it's getting a pair and spending the money, or trying to find a used pair that is ur size and hoping it's close to your specs so you have an idea what you're getting. 

If you're happy with Bauer or CCM retails for the most part minus a few minor things, it's probably safe to go with their custom version as there won't be any surprises. Going from Bauer or CCM to trues is a big change. When I first switched over it took me a good 12 skates to be comfortable and not thinking about how it felt different. There's def an adjustment period. 

Although the finish on the Trues can be hit or miss ,imo, the overall feel and construction of the true boots feel more sturdy and more durable. CCM and Bauer feel like a thin carbon layer over a thermoformable plastic  whereas true feels rock hard and you know it's all carbon on the lower half.

Also I've seen a few custom ccms that have uneven stitching etc. I think that's just what happens with custom skates that are ... Made in Canada? Lol. Seems like ppl criticize made in China or Asia stuff but they seem to know what they are doing with sewing machines vs North American factories. It's a dying skill in North America vs Asia. 

I'm sure all three brands are great skates but I'll say it again, it's all personal preference. 

Ok, thanks for the detailed response.  To be honest, I don't really know much about CCM and Bauer custom.  I've been in Makos since they came out always figured if nothing else came along when I ran out of my stash (like from Bauer since they bought the Mako IP 😞 ) I'd go with Trues.  I'd followed them and since they came from the MLX heritage, it was the most obvious option.  This person I respect made a compelling (although not technical) argument and not being familiar with the custom process from the others, he got me thinking.  Also, it seems like complaints from True buyers have increased lately.  Maybe that's just a function of selling more.  More skates sold means more mistakes simply due to mass action and hence more complaints.

Re: Price... if you're spending a grand, +/- $200 is irrelevant to me if it gets you the better fitting skate. 

Anyway, thanks. 

But 

6 hours ago, smcgreg said:

Ok, thanks for the detailed response.  To be honest, I don't really know much about CCM and Bauer custom.  I've been in Makos since they came out always figured if nothing else came along when I ran out of my stash (like from Bauer since they bought the Mako IP 😞 ) I'd go with Trues.  I'd followed them and since they came from the MLX heritage, it was the most obvious option.  This person I respect made a compelling (although not technical) argument and not being familiar with the custom process from the others, he got me thinking.  Also, it seems like complaints from True buyers have increased lately.  Maybe that's just a function of selling more.  More skates sold means more mistakes simply due to mass action and hence more complaints.

Re: Price... if you're spending a grand, +/- $200 is irrelevant to me if it gets you the better fitting skate. 

Anyway, thanks. 

I’m confused.. i thought MLX was created by David Cruickshank who is all over the makos marketing as the designer? Scott Van Horne from VH skates created True skates. So both come from speedskating but two different people. Maybe they collaborated on them at one point.

If you go back in the archives on here, the connection is clear: MLX is what they renamed DASC, an acronym of 4 names where D is David Cruikshank and S Scott Van Horne after Mario Lemieux came on as an investor. I don’t know who the other two are. If you rewatch the Making of the Mako videos, Cruikshank shows off his SVH made prototype. I’m pretty sure he mentions SVH as the boot maker there. But SVH was the builder behind MLX/DASC as far as I know. Why VH Footwear didn’t have a non-compete with the Mako might come down to the different companies or the subtle differences between the Mako and VH, I’m not sure. Before all that Van Horne was also involved with Kor. @JunkyardAthletic knows the details much better.

• Like 1

I found this thread while searching for reviews and stuff on True skates.  I too have some Mako Pros with step steel that I absolutely love, like the best fitting skate my flintstone feet have ever been in, but they are starting to show their age and I will have to change skates soon.  To any of the posters who purchased the Trues, after all these months, what is the verdict?  Comfort?  Durability?  Are they worth the price?  Thanks.

Yeah, they’re worth it. Remember the feeling you got the first time you skated in makos? It felt like FINALLY something felt right? You’ll get that feeling all over again, at least I did. 

On 9/22/2019 at 1:12 PM, smcgreg said:

So, more to the original topic since my son and I are both in our last Makos (actually, he grew into my last pair that were still NIB).  So, need to start thinking seriously about this problem, since he will likely need a new pair within a season and is at a critical point in his hockey "career" (for lack of a better term).  The assumption was that he would transition into Trues when the time came.  A friend of mine who is pretty well versed in skate fitting argues that for what you pay for Trues, you can get a custom skate from the other guys.  No, they're not as moldable, but 1) they're truely (pardon the pun) custom.  2) lighter than Trues and 3) I know the True defenders will argue with this, but he has seen more problems with Trues than other custom skates.  EVen True defenders should contend that the finish on them is not on par with Bauer or CCM.  Aside from the fit argument, another argument would be, if you're paying a grand for skates, the finish should be friggin awesome.  I personally don't care about aesthetics (heck I wore the first Makos... yuck), but the finish does speak to the Quality Control.  There have been a number of complaints about little issues with Trues and then some others that are not so little. 

So, my question is this, why is my buddy wrong?  A custom skate should fit like a glove, and Trues are the same price (roughly) as a custom from Bauer or CCM, so, why not the other custom options?  I'm not beating up on True as a brand, that's why it's in this thread as opposed to the True thread.  By rights, if paying that much, a custom skate should fit just as well, right?

Thanks,

Steve

The main point I would argue with your buddy is that in Bauer/CCM skates, only the quarter package is heat moldable whereas with True's the entire skate is (minus the front part of the toe cap) is moldable. The difference is substantial and you notice it right away even when baking them. In Bauer/CCM you're not supposed to have the top of the skate wrap over the tongue. In True's you want that wrap. So you're essentially paying more for a custom Bauer/CCM skate and getting less because the skate can't fully mold to your foot the way the True can.

42 minutes ago, darkhors said:

The main point I would argue with your buddy is that in Bauer/CCM skates, only the quarter package is heat moldable whereas with True's the entire skate is (minus the front part of the toe cap) is moldable. The difference is substantial and you notice it right away even when baking them. In Bauer/CCM you're not supposed to have the top of the skate wrap over the tongue. In True's you want that wrap. So you're essentially paying more for a custom Bauer/CCM skate and getting less because the skate can't fully mold to your foot the way the True can.

Ahh... very good explanation.  Intuitively I knew that from my Makos, but wasn't sure how to explain it.  It's more relevant for both of us since he took my last pair of backup makos and the holder on mine is about to come off.  So, both of us will likely need Trues soon..... ugghhh... should have bought more of those $150 makos on closeout. 

Thanks,

• Like 1

It's also why you see a lot of people trying to find used True's in a similar size because the whole skate can wrap, you can almost get a perfect fit even if it wasn't made for you. As stated above though, you still need to be in the correct length and similar heel shape for it to be close.

2 hours ago, darkhors said:

The facing on the CCM skates actually do wrap over the tongue during the heat moulding. It inevitably does it when you lace them while they are hot.  It may not to the extent of the Trues but they still do to w degree.  I would imagine the same with Bauer's with their traditional eyelets. Not sure about the lace lock system as it's one strip of hard plastic.  

Edited by Sniper9

15 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

The facing on the CCM skates actually do wrap over the tongue during the heat moulding. It inevitably does it when you lace them while they are hot.  It may not to the extent of the Trues but they still do to w degree.  I would imagine the same with Bauer's with their traditional eyelets. Not sure about the lace lock system as it's one strip of hard plastic.  

They do a little bit, but they're not designed to do it the way that True's do. 

3 hours ago, darkhors said:

My Bauers also wrap around the tongue of my skates.  I agree it is not the same amount of wrap as True skates but I think too much wrap can also me an issue.

On 1/8/2020 at 8:58 AM, smcgreg said:

Ahh... very good explanation.  Intuitively I knew that from my Makos, but wasn't sure how to explain it.  It's more relevant for both of us since he took my last pair of backup makos and the holder on mine is about to come off.  So, both of us will likely need Trues soon..... ugghhh... should have bought more of those $150 makos on closeout. 

Thanks,

Right?!  I'm kicking myself for not buying 2 pairs of Makos when I had the chance.  That closeout was a steal!

2 minutes ago, ollie said:

Right?!  I'm kicking myself for not buying 2 pairs of Makos when I had the chance.  That closeout was a steal!

2..??? I bought 6 on close out, 2 for my daughter, 2 for my son and 2 for me. 

I used one of mine.  My son grew through 2 of his.  I had to buy another pair off of sideline swap, then took my last one.  My daughter grew through hers and is one of his now.  So, we're all on our last pair.  Mine is in really bad shape.  Holder feels like it's going to fall off soon.  They'll both need a new pair of skates by the end of this season. Oh well, I had a great run of great skates for cheap while my kids were growing up. 

Same boat - son has been absolutely speedy playing AAA in Mako 2's but now needing to switch for Junior A want to keep the speed. Previously bought a pair of Trues thinking they would have aspects of the Mako. NOT - nothing is like a Mako, people were commenting about "whats wrong with his skating" when he switched to the Trues ... yikes, went back to Makos ASAP but now cant find them anymore...real bummer as he just flys in Makos. Trues are bulkier and bigger all around - yes more protective than Makos but I wouldn't call Trues a speed skate or having Mako qualities. But then again not every player is trying to go that fast. Just wondering whats skate is gonna work? I would liken Makos to a Formula 1 & Trues to Nascar

I have no suggestions for you if True isn’t an option. At that point just go to your LHS and get fitted. Maybe go custom Bauer or CCM.